Getting started with Song Arrangements in G-Stomper Studio

Share your favorite G-Stomper tips and tricks and learn from other users.
planet-h

Getting started with Song Arrangements in G-Stomper Studio

Postby planet-h » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:28 am

As a very first step I’d strongly recommend to watch the beginners tutorial.
https://youtu.be/PXX3UaOjn7s

If you prefer just to watch the specific part about song arrangement, just start at 13:08 with the following link:
https://youtu.be/PXX3UaOjn7s?t=13m8s

Also be sure to check out the Pattern Set & Song Arranger Docs at:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSetSongArranger.htm

Short introduction:
Most important to understand is that in G-Stomper everything is based on patterns, and so everything always starts with single pattern.

A Pattern Set is (as the name suggests) a set of multiple (actually 64) concurrent patterns.
To create a song, you can use a max of 64 different patterns.
You can start with a single pattern on slot A-01 for example and then copy it over and over to different slots (while making changes), or you can load various patterns to the different slots.

To switch between the different patterns on the pattern set view, simply tap the slots (during playback these switches are always beat-safe, just try, then you’ll see).
A Song in G-Stomper is in fact a recorded sequence of such pattern changes (switches between pattern slots).

While in Song mode (you’ll find that switch on the pattern set view), just hit record and play and then tap the different slots to switch between the patterns. While recording your pattern switches will all be recorded to the song arrangement. You can of course also program your song sequence manually in use of the song edit controls (see the docs at the link above).

A song arrangement can contain up to 999 pattern switches, which gives you enough freedom to create very long tracks.
CyrilleB

Re: Getting started with Song Arrangements in G-Stomper Studio

Postby CyrilleB » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:41 pm

I have two questions regarding the song mode:
1) When playing in song mode, I've noticed that once all patterns have played, the whole song starts over from the beginning (like looping all the pattern changes over again and again).
Is there an option to stop the sequence once all patterns have finished playing instead of looping endlessly?
Let's say I have a song with 20 patterns. I'm trying to figure out how to stop the sequence once the 20th pattern has finished playing (I mean without having to hit the stop button)

2) Is it possible to loop only the last pattern of a song instead of the entire song?
For ex, playing all the patterns only once and when it reaches the last pattern, instead of going back to the first pattern (looping the whole thing) it would only loop the last pattern

I don't know if any of those two options are possible but they would be very useful for me
planet-h

Re: Getting started with Song Arrangements in G-Stomper Studio

Postby planet-h » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:24 pm

CyrilleB wrote:I have two questions regarding the song mode:
1) When playing in song mode, I've noticed that once all patterns have played, the whole song starts over from the beginning (like looping all the pattern changes over again and again).
Is there an option to stop the sequence once all patterns have finished playing instead of looping endlessly?
Let's say I have a song with 20 patterns. I'm trying to figure out how to stop the sequence once the 20th pattern has finished playing (I mean without having to hit the stop button)

No, there's no such option, sorry.

CyrilleB wrote:2) Is it possible to loop only the last pattern of a song instead of the entire song?
For ex, playing all the patterns only once and when it reaches the last pattern, instead of going back to the first pattern (looping the whole thing) it would only loop the last pattern
I don't know if any of those two options are possible but they would be very useful for me

No, also this is not possible, sorry.
You can achieve this with a simple pattern chain, but a pattern chain is not saved. A Pattern chain is a live feature to quickly chain a few patterns together.
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part19.htm

Btw., this is something that G-Stomper Producer does by default (it automatically stops after the song is over).
I know, you already switched to GSS. But that's one of many cases in which both apps work very well as companions.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”