Saved over track

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
wexoz

Saved over track

Postby wexoz » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:59 pm

Hi,

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no and that I've learned a lesson the hard way.

I'd been working on a track and accidently saved over it with another track.

Is there a way to revert or get a backup of the track in any way?

Cheers.
planet-h

Re: Saved over track

Postby planet-h » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:11 am

Welcome to the forum, wexos,
and thanks for your messge.
wexoz wrote:I'm guessing the answer to this question is no and that I've learned a lesson the hard way.

I'd been working on a track and accidently saved over it with another track.

Is there a way to revert or get a backup of the track in any way?

By default, all G-Stomper apps copy the previous version of a file with a "_BAK" suffix in the file name.
Whether or not this is activated can be checked via: Main Screen / SETUP / GEN / Auto-create Backup Files (default is ON).
However, this will only backup the previous version right before the actual save.
So when you save your work again afterwards, then the old "_BAK" file gets overwritten with the next one and so on.
In other words, if you saved it only once with the bad version, then you can get it back by connecting your device to a pc, navigate to the folder where you stored your file, and there rename the "_BAK" file back to whatever it was before.

Here is where you find the files: https://www.planet-h.com/faq/#findexistingfiles

Hope that helps
wexoz

Postby wexoz » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:19 pm

Thank you for the response.

I will try the approach you mention.

Really enjoying g-stomper and still learning how to use it.

Once I get use to automation and how it works, I'll be happy. I also feel like I need to be very careful when loading/saving.

I'm also curious how the audio output from g-stomper compares with something like FL studio ( and if they will sound good to the net labels that I've released on in the past).
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:04 am

wexoz wrote:I also feel like I need to be very careful when loading/saving.

There are a few safety mechanisms. One of them is the _BAK file when manually saving.
Another one is the autosave mechanism, when the app goes to background.
So when you get a phone call for example while in a G-Stomper app, the app automatically saves your work in a temp file after being a few seconds in background. Another few seconds later, when still in background, the G-Stomper app terminates itself to save battery.

wexoz wrote:I'm also curious how the audio output from g-stomper compares with something like FL studio ( and if they will sound good to the net labels that I've released on in the past).

This depends on the following factors.
- The internal sample rate: for best export quality set to 96kHz before you export, and then export in 96kHz (see https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part21.htm )
- The overall Envelope and LFO accuracy: for best export quality, set it to highest (1/1 Sample rate)
Note that with the above settings, your device probably won't be able to handle the CPU load. But the export result will be in crystal clear 96kHz studio quality.
- Last but not least: Use high quality audio samples: High bitrate, high sample rate. However, in 99% of all cases 16bit 48kHz will be enough. But you can of course go further. G-Stomper supports up to 64bit samples with any sample rate.
wexoz

Postby wexoz » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:18 am

I've done it again; saved over a track I've been working on for the past few weeks with another track.

Obviously load/save menu mistake on my part but incredible annoying.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:30 pm

wexoz wrote:I've done it again; saved over a track I've been working on for the past few weeks with another track.

Obviously load/save menu mistake on my part but incredible annoying.

Have you tried to restore the BAK file?

However, just a hint that might help in the future.
If I work on the same file for days, I usually save a new version (giving it a new name) every few hours.
If you then overwrite it by accident, and also overwrite the BAK file by accident, then you can still go back to your previous milestone version.
wexoz

Postby wexoz » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:53 pm

I restored both tracks last night thankfully.

Connected my tablet to the PC, did a search of the track name and opened file location.

Renaming the file where it was didn't work so I dragged it to the desktop renamed, and dragged them back into the folder and they opened perfectly.

Thanks for your patience and help.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:36 pm

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the success report.
Great to hear that you have your files back.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”