Inter-Loop Pan Switch

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Aquasheep

Re: Inter-Loop Pan Switch

Postby Aquasheep » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:39 am

planeth wrote:1. Select the track you want to pan
2. Enable step edit and select step 1 on bar 1
3. Move the pan slider to -100 (full left)
4. Now select step 16 on bar 8
5. Move the pan slider to +100 (full right)
6. Disable step edit
7. Finally long press the selected Track T[..], then select the AUTO tab in the menu and choose "Auto-Complete Automation". This will connect the two key steps with a perfect smooth movement

The steps listed above must be in the same pattern. It's not possible to autocomplete the automations over pattern boundaries.
If you want to move from -100 to +100 over 16bars (two 8bar patterns), then you have to create key steps for -100 and 0(center) in pattern 1 and autocomplete, and you have to create key steps for 0(center) and +100 in pattern 2 and autocomplete there, too.

To be able to autocomplete automations, at least 2 key steps are required within the same pattern.

Ok, I did exactly as stated above, but the pan goes from -100 to 0 instantly on reaching the final step of pattern 1 and likewise for pattern 2 from 0 to +100. I tried autocomplete both on the track option itself by long-pressing in drum machine view and on the mixer view for that track. Neither had any effect. Are there any kind of settings that may yield this behavior? Also, this is unrelated, but in another section of the song, I am losing one iteration of a one-measure sample only on the fourth loop of the exact same pattern and only on export; it sounds fine within gstomper. No idea what that's about, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's an export glitch.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 am

Ok, I did exactly as stated above, but the pan goes from -100 to 0 instantly on reaching the final step of pattern 1 and likewise for pattern 2 from 0 to +100. I tried autocomplete both on the track option itself by long-pressing in drum machine view and on the mixer view for that track. Neither had any effect. Are there any kind of settings that may yield this behavior? Also, this is unrelated, but in another section of the song, I am losing one iteration of a one-measure sample only on the fourth loop of the exact same pattern and only on export; it sounds fine within gstomper. No idea what that's about, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's an export glitch.

I've just tested it in this moment and it worked without problems.
This means in fact you must've done something wrong.

Here's an extended list of steps:

1. Navigate to the main screen ... we're trying it on the sampler track T01
2. Make sure that the "Auto-init steps" feature is disabled (it can be toggled by long pressing the step edit button). It's disabled if the step edit button does NOT have a yellow border.
3. Select the track you want to pan (T01)
4. Long press T01, select the AUTO tab and choose "Clear Automation" (NOT "init automation", this is a significant difference) (and of course enable the checkbox for the Pan param afterwards)
5. Enable step edit and select step 1 on bar 1 (make sure that the position controls show the first red led lit up and the first step at the button should be blue)
6. Move the pan slider to -100 (full left) <<< even if it is already there, move it a bit and then back to -100 again
7. Now select step 16 on bar 8 (make sure that the position controls show the last red led lit up and the last step at the button should be blue)
8. Move the pan slider to +100 (full right) <<< even if it is already there, move it a bit and then back to +100 again
9. Disable step edit
10. Finally long press the selected Track T01, then select the AUTO tab in the menu and choose "Auto-Complete Automation". Of course be sure to enable the checkbox for the pan param in the following dialog
This will connect the two key steps with a perfect smooth movement

Does this solve the problem?
Aquasheep

Postby Aquasheep » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Works. Thanks for coding it out. That's a customer service rarity. I'm positive not de-selecting step edit was the issue. I

In regards to the mystery of the missing export measure, where should I address that?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Aquasheep wrote:Works. Thanks for coding it out. That's a customer service rarity. I'm positive not de-selecting step edit was the issue.

You're welcome, Aquasheep. And thanks for the kind words:)

Aquasheep wrote:In regards to the mystery of the missing export measure, where should I address that?

That depends on what kind of export you're looking for:

To export patterns or songs as audio (.wav), press "main" menu in the toolbar on top, select the EXP tab and choose whatever you want to export as audio.
For more details about the audio export, check out the following doc chapters:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_AudioExportAndBouncing.htm

If you're looking for MIDI export... this is not integrated yet. But the good news, it'll be part of the next update;) (it's actually almost finished in the development version).
Aquasheep

Postby Aquasheep » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:52 am

Ok, I looked through all the documentation on export, and nothing covers the situation where the same pattern, looped four times is missing the same one-measure track of only the first measure of the fourth loop, every single time. I've even tried splitting the loop into two eight bar iterations. Same issue. I've tried switching pattern slots, deleting and recreating steps in song mode, reloading the sample, changing the export bit-rate. It plays perfectly in gstomper, and no matter what I do it is missing exactly that one sample from that one measure of the fourth loop of the same pattern and nothing else. Surely there is something wrong here, but I have not been able to adjust any settings that affect this bizarre behavior. Possibly related, gstomper sometimes misaligns the FX LFO attached to that pattern, but sometimes it exports fine except for the missing sample. Honestly all I can think to do is try to fix it in post in another program, but getting it aligned just right and matching that part of the 16-measure LFO would be quite difficult.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:33 am

Aquasheep wrote:Ok, I looked through all the documentation on export, and nothing covers the situation where the same pattern, looped four times is missing the same one-measure track of only the first measure of the fourth loop, every single time. I've even tried splitting the loop into two eight bar iterations. Same issue. I've tried switching pattern slots, deleting and recreating steps in song mode, reloading the sample, changing the export bit-rate. It plays perfectly in gstomper, and no matter what I do it is missing exactly that one sample from that one measure of the fourth loop of the same pattern and nothing else. Surely there is something wrong here, but I have not been able to adjust any settings that affect this bizarre behavior. Possibly related, gstomper sometimes misaligns the FX LFO attached to that pattern, but sometimes it exports fine except for the missing sample. Honestly all I can think to do is try to fix it in post in another program, but getting it aligned just right and matching that part of the 16-measure LFO would be quite difficult.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly what exactly you want to do/export?

1. A single pattern with multiple loop cycles?
2. A chain of multiple patterns (a short song) with multiple loop cycles?
3. A song?

However, when exporting patterns (single patterns, not songs), then you can choose a number of loop cycles to be exported.
When exporting a song, and you want to loop the same 2 patterns multiple times (let's say slot 1,2,1,2,1,2), then you have to create a song, which does exactly that arrangement.

Furthermore, I've sent you an invitation to the G-Stomper beta community. It should be in your mailbox now.
Please follow the steps in the invitation to get the beta release.
The beta release comes with a new file format, which allows you to save patterns and pattern sets with all samples embedded.
Once you got it, please save your patterns or sets you want to export and send them over by mail to gstomper@planet-h.com.
If the files are too big for a mail, just zip them in advance.
Aquasheep

Postby Aquasheep » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:48 am

Ok, thanks. I will get on the community and email you. What I'm trying to say is that my 71-step song exports perfectly except for one voice in one measure, which is part of a pattern that exports perfectly for the preceding three loop cycles, hence why I think this is an export bug and not something I did.
Aquasheep

Postby Aquasheep » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:52 am

My forum mailbox is currently empty, and I haven't received any communication on my email, either.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:14 am

It's a google+ message. Just check your google plus profile, then you'll find it.
The notifications from google+ can be delayed sometimes, therefore your mailbox might be empty.

I've used the email, with which you've registered here.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:10 am

Aquasheep wrote:What I'm trying to say is that my 71-step song exports perfectly except for one voice in one measure, which is part of a pattern that exports perfectly for the preceding three loop cycles, hence why I think this is an export bug and not something I did.

Ok, thanks for the further explanation.
It might actually be a bug, yes.
I can go after it as soon as I have your pattern set file.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”