Help with OTG/Midi Cable crashing on Galaxy S7

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
MrBitey

Help with OTG/Midi Cable crashing on Galaxy S7

Postby MrBitey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can help me with getting G-Stomper on a Galaxy S7 (with Android 7) working with my external midi hardware?

I have a Usb to din in/out cable which I am plugging in to the phone using Samsung's OTG adaptor which came with it.

When I open up G-Stomper and plug the cable in I get the prompt asking if I want to allow G-stomper to access the USB adaptor. When I say yes, G-Stomper locks up. No controls will work. No animations occur. If a pattern is playing, it will continue to do so. The UI remains frozen until I unplug the cable.
I have the same issue with another sequencer I have installed so I assume it's an Android/hardware issue.
G-Stomper can control Midi devices well using the same adaptors on my old Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 tablet running Android 4 so I wonder if I need to change a setting somewhere to make it work?

Any help/advice is appreciated!
planet-h

Re: Help with OTG/Midi Cable crashing on Galaxy S7

Postby planet-h » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:20 am

Welcome to the forum, MrBitey
And thanks for your message.

MrBitey wrote:Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can help me with getting G-Stomper on a Galaxy S7 (with Android 7) working with my external midi hardware?

I have a Usb to din in/out cable which I am plugging in to the phone using Samsung's OTG adaptor which came with it.

When I open up G-Stomper and plug the cable in I get the prompt asking if I want to allow G-stomper to access the USB adaptor. When I say yes, G-Stomper locks up. No controls will work. No animations occur. If a pattern is playing, it will continue to do so. The UI remains frozen until I unplug the cable.
I have the same issue with another sequencer I have installed so I assume it's an Android/hardware issue.
G-Stomper can control Midi devices well using the same adaptors on my old Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 tablet running Android 4 so I wonder if I need to change a setting somewhere to make it work?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

There are two possible reasons for that:

1. The USB to MIDI DIN interface is not compatible with the new Android M based MIDI driver. When you say you get a prompt that asks you to access the Adaptor, is this a white system prompt or is it a dark grey G-Stomper internal prompt?

2. The USB OTG adapter is not working as it should. This might sound unlikely, but even if the adapter was delivered by Samsung, there's not at all a guarantee that it works with MIDI equipment.

My recommendation is as followed:
First of all, try a different USB OTG adapter. These are available in many stores for less than 15$.
If that won't work, get a verified USB class-compliant MIDI adapter.
ESI MidiMate II
Roland UM-ONE mk2
Both are below 50$

Hope that's helpful.
MrBitey

Postby MrBitey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi, Planet-H

thanks for the reply!
The prompt is a Dark grey G-Stomper internal one.
I think, maybe my MIDI DIN interface might not be compatible with the new Android M based MIDI driver,
My old phone (a Motorola G4 Play) had the same issue and was running on Android 6 with this interface and a different OTG.
The interface along with the OTG adaptor work fine when paired up with my old Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 which runs Android 4.
I'd use this tablet with G-Stomper/MIDI gear but I think it is a little underpowered and pauses every now and then.
The OTG is a new one supplied with the phone. I have also tried out a different OTG adaptor which doesn't work with this adaptor either.

Thanks very much for your help. I think I need to check out the USB adaptors you suggested!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 am

MrBitey wrote:Hi, Planet-H

thanks for the reply!
The prompt is a Dark grey G-Stomper internal one.
I think, maybe my MIDI DIN interface might not be compatible with the new Android M based MIDI driver,
My old phone (a Motorola G4 Play) had the same issue and was running on Android 6 with this interface and a different OTG.
The interface along with the OTG adaptor work fine when paired up with my old Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 which runs Android 4.
I'd use this tablet with G-Stomper/MIDI gear but I think it is a little underpowered and pauses every now and then.
The OTG is a new one supplied with the phone. I have also tried out a different OTG adaptor which doesn't work with this adaptor either.

Thanks very much for your help. I think I need to check out the USB adaptors you suggested!

If you have the chance, then I'd recommend to try a different MIDI interface or a controller with the S7, just to see if that would work.
If another interface or controller works without problems, then you can be sure that the interface is the culprit.

The fact that the interface works fine on your Tab 3 on Android 4 means that it actually works with the old, Android 4 based, fallback MIDI driver.
But as you said, the tab 3 might be underpowered, and also the the fallback driver is less stable then the newer Android M based MIDI driver.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”