joining patterns together - appending .

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
riche

joining patterns together - appending .

Postby riche » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:25 pm

Is it possible to string two or more patterns together into a new pattern?

Let's say I want to work out a bass line one bar at a time and I construct each bar in its own pattern.
Once I have each bar saved in its own pattern could I string the one-bar patterns together into a new pattern sequence with multiple bars?

This would also allow one to have a few one (or more) bar phrases and arrange them into varied orders to create numerous longer patterns with different accents and or melody nuances.
planet-h

Re: joining patterns together - appending .

Postby planet-h » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:30 am

Hi Riche
Unfortunately, it's not possible out of the box to join multiple patterns together into one result pattern.
The tricky point is that the patterns are limited to 8 bars. Therefore this would require the understanding of the user, why you cannot join a 2 bar pattern, a 4 bar pattern, and another 5 bar pattern together into one 9 bar pattern.
Nevertheless, I think this is definitely worth take a closer look at. It will take some time, as the apps are not in active development anymore (I mostly do compatibility updates only). But in case of good ideas, I'm always open to add features (just remember the bigger BPM display on play button while in playback ;) ).

However, there is a possible workaround.
You can quickly chain the patterns you want to join in a pattern set / song arrangement. Then export it as MIDI, and finally import the MIDI file again as a new set. The new import will always create the best fitting pattern size.
Of course that's not a super comfortable way. But at least it's an option.
riche

Postby riche » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:05 am

...Thanks for that response...
Ok ... the workaround will do :)
... well i was just being lazy ... and have manually done what i wanted ... will try the midi export-import.

The appending and stringing patterns together is something I used to occasionally do with my MC505.
... was a little mystified when I could not get it right on G-Stomper ... ;)

:D ... Yes I am very stoked with the Bigger BPN indicator and the Pattern Lock you implemented ...

PS ... still loving G-Stomper - my primary composition and performance sequencer for a few years now ... :mrgreen:
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:51 pm

riche wrote:The appending and stringing patterns together is something I used to occasionally do with my MC505.
... was a little mystified when I could not get it right on G-Stomper ... ;)

I'll definitely see what I can do, whenever I find time.

riche wrote::D ... Yes I am very stoked with the Bigger BPN indicator and the Pattern Lock you implemented ...:

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you're still happy with it.

riche wrote:PS ... still loving G-Stomper - my primary composition and performance sequencer for a few years now ... :mrgreen:

I really feel honored by that. I remember it's been a long time that you wrote the first time here. And I'm more than happy to hear that you still use G-Stomper as your primary tool for your music.
I'll always keep it compatible with the latest Android updates ;).

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”