lpd8 wirelless midi mapping - INDEPENDENT controller action

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
lonbluster

lpd8 wirelless midi mapping - INDEPENDENT controller action

Postby lonbluster » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:40 am

Are the following possible on the Lpd8 Wireless ?

- Clear CC in order to start recording from 0 without going through the CLR confirmation windows (touching less the screen).

- The SELECT sample CC, really isn't available??? So where is the fun with the knobs?

- Screen dimmer and/or Gstomper background midi receive. (The background Stop button long press works only for Play, not for Midi Receive)
- And is it possible to have more led feedback on the currently played samples, or this device does not support it?

Remarks:
-I notice delay when usb powering from the Android. Works good on batteries or other usb powersource! Specially bluetooth at short distance is quite nice and responsive.
-But really the select track...how to CC? Please!
-Program Changes do not seem to work for selecting PatternSets, but not a big problem, can be done otherwise.
planet-h

Re: lpd8 wirelless midi mapping - INDEPENDENT controller action

Postby planet-h » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:25 am

lonbluster wrote:Clear CC in order to start recording from 0 without going through the CLR confirmation windows (touching less the screen).

Sure, just clear all the MIDI CC mappings and start from scratch. How you map your MIDI CC has nothing to do with the controller. It's just a matter of your personal taste.

lonbluster wrote:The SELECT sample CC, really isn't available??? So where is the fun with the knobs?

What you mean with "select sample"? You mean the loading process of the samples into specific Drum Samplers or VA-Beast PCM slots? No, that cannot be done via MIDI, sorry

lonbluster wrote:Screen dimmer and/or Gstomper background midi receive. (The background Stop button long press works only for Play, not for Midi Receive)

This is only partially correct. As long as the sequencer is running and the stop lock is enabled, the MIDI connectivity as well as the Ableton Link sync remains active while the app goes to background. This is not the case while the sequencer is stopped. Btw., using the app while it is in background (screen off for example) is anyway a bad idea, as you will only get around 50% (or even less) of the possible performance while in background. As soon as an app goes to background, Android limits the available CPU power for this app.

lonbluster wrote:And is it possible to have more led feedback on the currently played samples, or this device does not support it?

You mean LED feedback on the LPD8? So that the pads would flash up when a sample/trigger is fired?
This is only possible when the hardware (the controller) supports it. And this is not the case on the LPD8 Wireless. I own an LPD8 Wireless and I got the answer from AKAI that this is not possible, as the LPD8 only sends MIDI from the pads.

lonbluster wrote:I notice delay when usb powering from the Android. Works good on batteries or other usb powersource! Specially bluetooth at short distance is quite nice and responsive.

Are you sure that you're still connected via Bluetooth LE?
Normally, if you hook up the LPD8 via USB, then it connects MIDI via USB, which might make a difference.
I recommend to use a normal charger power plug instead.

lonbluster wrote:But really the select track...how to CC? Please!

Sorry, but that's impossible.

lonbluster wrote:Program Changes do not seem to work for selecting PatternSets, but not a big problem, can be done otherwise.[

Program changes do work. But you must activate the transmission in the MIDI settings first (it's disabled by default).
Setup / MIDI / Program Changes (the drop down list).
lonbluster

Postby lonbluster » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 am

Hi Thanks for you answer, I really appreciate it.

I meant clear the modification on all tracks, in case I made I mistake, so I would like a CC to go through CLR/Pattern Sequence in order to start the recording from scratch.

The PC set on Send and Receive or just Receive just make the Set flash, but do not select it. A 1 just appears for a fraction of a second on the right slot.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:48 pm

lonbluster wrote:I meant clear the modification on all tracks, in case I made I mistake, so I would like a CC to go through CLR/Pattern Sequence in order to start the recording from scratch.

Unfortunately this is not possible, and won't be possible in the future, sorry.
The problem is, if clear would be possible, what is with loading, saving, preview, audio session recording, etc. etc.

lonbluster wrote:The PC set on Send and Receive or just Receive just make the Set flash, but do not select it. A 1 just appears for a fraction of a second on the right slot.

That is correct, but only for the Drum Samplers. In case of the synth, the pads turn on until you release the key.
The reason for that is simple: The synth plays the sound until you release the key. The Drum Sampler just triggers a sound, and that's why the flashing time is short. Actually this is what perfectly reflects a trigger.
lonbluster

Postby lonbluster » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:51 am

I was talking about the defaul midi PC config, that is, pattern sets selection 0-63. They don't get selected, n.1 stay on all the time.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:07 pm

lonbluster wrote:I was talking about the defaul midi PC config, that is, pattern sets selection 0-63. They don't get selected, n.1 stay on all the time.

As said, by default, Program Changes are not received or sent.
Receiving Program Changes must be enabled via ...

G-Stomper Producer:
Toolbar on top / Setup / MIDI / Program Changes = Receive

All other G-Stomper apps:
Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / Program Changes = Receive

Unless you enable Program Changes to be received in the MIDI settings, these events simply be ignored.

And note that in G-Stomper Producer... sending Program Changes towards the app on the mapped Global MIDI channel changes the Scene, while sending the same events to some Drum Track Channel changes the Track Pattern Set.
lonbluster

Postby lonbluster » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:38 pm

planet-h wrote:As said, by default, Program Changes are not received or sent.
Receiving Program Changes must be enabled via ...

G-Stomper Producer:
Toolbar on top / Setup / MIDI / Program Changes = Receive

All other G-Stomper apps:
Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / Program Changes = Receive

There is a contradiction. Anyway there are other buttons I can't have work:
- bypass and lfo InsFX1
- Send FX
- R-arp won't go Off after changing programs, doing something and going back in the same program. Works ok if I don't change program.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:43 pm

lonbluster wrote:- bypass and lfo InsFX1

Tested in this moment, and both work perfectly. Keep in mind that the LFO controls are only available on Effect Types that actually provide an LFO (that's by far not all).

lonbluster wrote:- Send FX

Tested with all parameters, and worked perfectly.

lonbluster wrote:- R-arp won't go Off after changing programs, doing something and going back in the same program. Works ok if I don't change program.

When you say "programs", then you mean "patterns"? Correct?
However, of course the R-Arp won't turn off after switching between patterns in the pattern set. The R-Arp is "global" and is not part of the patterns. And it remains active, independent from pattern changes.
In short, you have to turn it on and off, regardless what pattern is running.

Please consider that when you cannot get something specific to work on first try and without reading the documentation, it's most likely due to the fact that you don't know how to get it to work.
So instead of posting rather confusing information, which makes others think that the app is not working, it would be much more straightforward to simply ask for help on how to get it work.
You'll get best answers if you explain:

1. What you want to achieve?
2. What you did you try to achieve that result?
3. On what information was your attempt based (intuition, documentation, video tutorial, etc.)?
4. What did you expect to happen?
5. What happened instead?
lonbluster

Postby lonbluster » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:15 am

planet-h wrote:
lonbluster wrote:- bypass and lfo InsFX1

Tested in this moment, and both work perfectly. Keep in mind that the LFO controls are only available on Effect Types that actually provide an LFO (that's by far not all).

lonbluster wrote:- Send FX

Tested with all parameters, and worked perfectly.

Tested again, checked no conflicting CCs, and still I can't get INSfx1 bypass on/off activated from the LPD8.

I meant lpd8 programs...when I activate RARP on program 1, change lpd8 program to 2 (or 3 or 4) and change something, and get back to Program 1, Rarp won't go off.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:11 am

lonbluster wrote:Tested again, checked no conflicting CCs, and still I can't get INSfx1 bypass on/off activated from the LPD8.

I've tested it on multiple devices using multiple controllers. It works like a charm.
Note that in case of controlling toggle buttons with a CC, then every value between 0 and 64 turns the toggle button off while every value between 64 and 127 turns the toggle button on.

lonbluster wrote:I meant lpd8 programs...when I activate RARP on program 1, change lpd8 program to 2 (or 3 or 4) and change something, and get back to Program 1, Rarp won't go off.

No idea what you're doing here. But it is sure that you're not sending the correct messages from your controller.
Also in the R-Arp on/off case, every value between 0 and 64 turns the toggle button off while every value between 64 and 127 turns the toggle button on.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”