File browse external sd card?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
J-Fon

File browse external sd card?

Postby J-Fon » Mon May 05, 2014 2:01 pm

It's it possible to browse an external sd card to store my sound library?

I have changed my Nexus 7 2012 for an LG GPad 8.3, it has Android 4.4.2, I have rooted the tablet to change the sd card write restrictions in /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

These restrictions are in all Nexus devices past and present, all Google Play Edition devices and now all Android device with 4.4.2.....but i digress, is it possible to go up a directory in GStomper to add a user folder?

So instead of just showing /storage/emulated/0 i can go up a directory and see /storage/emulated_SD, then add a folder from there, can GS do this already and is the problem at my end? I dont know as my other devices never had external sd cards.
planet-h

Re: File browse external sd card?

Postby planet-h » Tue May 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi J-Fon
Yes, it is.
You can do it as followed:

SndSet Menu > Add User-Sample Folder
This brings you by default to the internal storage or sdcard.
Then press back (the back button in the dialog) to navigate back to the root directory and then to any mount location or folder you like..
Once you found it, click add to soundbank.

One thing, the file paths are stored in your pattern and pattern set files, which means if you move your samples from the internal storage to the external one (actually delete them on internal storage), then your patterns and pattern sets won't find them anymore.
But if you create new songs, patterns, or whatever with the new location, this is no problem at all.

Btw. If you cannot navigate to the desired folder with the add user-sample folder function for some reason, you can still directly edit the file 'gstomper/usersamples.conf' and add a path line manually ;)

Hope this answers your question
J-Fon

Postby J-Fon » Wed May 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Just press the back button......Doh!!! It is always the simple things in life that I forget, I saw the back button but thought it was the same as the tablet back button. ???? Don't ask.

Thanks

Did you know G Stomper has cost me a new tablet, headphones and a usb midi keyboard? Fantastic application, just keep doing what you do.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 pm

J-Fon wrote:Just press the back button......Doh!!! It is always the simple things in life that I forget, I saw the back button but thought it was the same as the tablet back button. ???? Don't ask.

Thanks

Great, I'm glad it's working :)

J-Fon wrote:Did you know G Stomper has cost me a new tablet, headphones and a usb midi keyboard? Fantastic application, just keep doing what you do.

Thank you J-Fon. I definitely will ;). At the moment I'm still busy with the video tutorials, but pretty soon I'm back into coding. Meanwhile I got loads of great suggestions from you guys and so plenty of content for new releases. One main thing will be more midi support + midi out integration.

Are you using a new tablet beside your nexus 7 2012?
Musical Android

Postby Musical Android » Wed May 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Ohhh my goodness!
Midi out support!
THat will be a very interesting addition.
Guess that you will be able to use one track (or more) for midi out and the rest of the tracks internally?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu May 08, 2014 7:00 am

Musical Android wrote:Ohhh my goodness!
Midi out support!
THat will be a very interesting addition.
Guess that you will be able to use one track (or more) for midi out and the rest of the tracks internally?

So the plan, yes.
The Drum Tracks will share one midi channel. Since these are dedicated to be used in a non-tonal way, they'll send out only different note events (like all the hardware drum boxes do).
The Synth Tracks will have their own midi channel for each and (so the plan) will allow full control of an external device.

It's still just on paper, but pretty soon I'm going after it.
derrtiblu

Postby derrtiblu » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 pm

On midi support?? I agree too. ;)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:51 am

derrtiblu wrote:On midi support?? I agree too. ;)

You mean MIDI out or MIDI in?

Meanwhile (since v4.0) the VA-Beast Synth can be fully controlled by MIDI using some external Sequencer or Controller.
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/pdf/G-Stomper_UserManual_19_Midi.pdf
derrtiblu

Postby derrtiblu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:44 am

My person's following of midi is..... a trigger base idea. No sound. Unless configure where channels can bypass undisturb while the timing is sorted and sent as well so my first handling of master and slave was handle thru midi in of the device u mastering ((( but!!!! Not careful it becomes the slave! No harm no fowl cause nothing destoryed! )))

Two me???? The explanation of midi is a very hard lesson in d.a.w.

Soo the midi in is just as important as midi out. I have no interface for midi or usb but a drum machine 202 dr. Groove (( boss ))
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:54 am

derrtiblu wrote:My person's following of midi is..... a trigger base idea. No sound. Unless configure where channels can bypass undisturb while the timing is sorted and sent as well so my first handling of master and slave was handle thru midi in of the device u mastering ((( but!!!! Not careful it becomes the slave! No harm no fowl cause nothing destoryed! )))

Two me???? The explanation of midi is a very hard lesson in d.a.w.

Soo the midi in is just as important as midi out. I have no interface for midi or usb but a drum machine 202 dr. Groove (( boss ))

Bottom line... MIDI out is coming for sure in 2015, same applies for MIDI control of the Drum Module

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”