More colour, please

Suggest and discuss new features here.
Kabeltrupp

More colour, please

Postby Kabeltrupp » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:23 pm

New to Producer and liking it very much so far. But imo its ergonomics could be drastically improved by individually coloured tracks. Doesn't have to be RGB-sliders or something like that, a selection of 16 different colours e.g. would already be sufficient - even default coloured groups of four tracks (ala TR-808) would help.

Also probably a place for some dabs of colour: the VA-Beast's different "floors". The second filter is easier to find if it's got an orange background (for example) and the scrollbar resembles the respective colours.

Last thought: having mute pads and the scene set on one page would be very nice in a live situation - never used Producer live so far, so that's a suggestion based on theory.

As far as I can tell those requests can be applied to Studio as well.

Producer is a fine piece of software but what sold it to me was the excellent user manual and your presence in this forum - if planet-h is a one man show you have my utmost respect.
planet-h

Re: More colour, please

Postby planet-h » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:56 pm

Welcome to the forum, Kabeltrupp.
And thanks for your suggestions.
Kabeltrupp wrote:New to Producer and liking it very much so far. But imo its ergonomics could be drastically improved by individually coloured tracks. Doesn't have to be RGB-sliders or something like that, a selection of 16 different colours e.g. would already be sufficient - even default coloured groups of four tracks (ala TR-808) would help.

Trust me, I had that in the past, and it wasn't better, at least not for most of the users.
The point is that you have different colors for muted tracks, for soloed tracks, and another color for tracks highlighting while selected + while playing.
Having different colors for tracks ends up in a mess. We had it in older versions. Users were even able to customize the entire look. However, at the end, I've decided not to allow it anymore.

Kabeltrupp wrote:Also probably a place for some dabs of colour: the VA-Beast's different "floors". The second filter is easier to find if it's got an orange background (for example) and the scrollbar resembles the respective colours.

I generally like the idea, but there would be zillions of unwanted side effects. As said before, you'd like it and 10 others wouldn't. What you have now is the best compromise for most users. However, I'll keep it in mind for future considerations.

Kabeltrupp wrote:Last thought: having mute pads and the scene set on one page would be very nice in a live situation - never used Producer live so far, so that's a suggestion based on theory.

Long press "Main Menu" in GSP for having quick access to the scene set selector everywhere and everytime.
Long press "Main Menu" in GSS for having quick access to the pattern set selector everywhere and everytime.

Kabeltrupp wrote:As far as I can tell those requests can be applied to Studio as well.

And so do the answers.

Kabeltrupp wrote:Producer is a fine piece of software but what sold it to me was the excellent user manual and your presence in this forum - if planet-h is a one man show you have my utmost respect.

Thank you for the kind words. Planet-h.com is indeed a one-man-show. But I have to say that apart from yearly compatibility and bug fix updates, it is not actively developed at the moment. But as said, G-Stomper Producer is still a new app, and it's zenith is not yet over. So you can be sure that I'll support the apps for many years to come.

Return to “Feature Requests”