Tempo (BPM) Indicator shown larger - G-Stomper Studio.

Suggest and discuss new features here.
riche

Tempo (BPM) Indicator shown larger - G-Stomper Studio.

Postby riche » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:03 pm

I got caught out when using Abelton Link for the first time using my Tablet and Cell Phone simultaneously - I did not realize that BPM went to 128 and must be manually adjusted.
I thought Pattern Set trigger BPM settings would be used.
I had a session with a friend who plays live bass with me - he asked if some track(s) were a bit slow - yip - all 128 BPM ... lol - took me a while to notice - thought i was in a mellow mood or something.

Anyway this promps me to ask if BPM could be shown larger than it is currently shown under the play button.
Suggestion - The clear area on the right - next to the orange label - PATTERN/STEP SEQUENCER could have a nice bold BPM indicator.

I also wonder if Abelton Link is able to have a Master / Slave tempo configuration like midi does?
- this could prevent situations with multiple Linked users changing the tempo in undesirable ways or a battle for tempo control resulting in chaotic tempo variations - which may or may not be interesting (lol)
planet-h

Re: Tempo (BPM) Indicator shown larger - G-Stomper Studio.

Postby planet-h » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm

riche wrote:I got caught out when using Abelton Link for the first time using my Tablet and Cell Phone simultaneously - I did not realize that BPM went to 128 and must be manually adjusted.
I thought Pattern Set trigger BPM settings would be used.
I had a session with a friend who plays live bass with me - he asked if some track(s) were a bit slow - yip - all 128 BPM ... lol - took me a while to notice - thought i was in a mellow mood or something.

When using Ableton Link, then the device or app that starts the session is the one that defines the initial tempo.
If you join an existing session, then the tempo will always be taken from the session, and never ever will the joining device or app affect the existing session tempo.

riche wrote:Anyway this promps me to ask if BPM could be shown larger than it is currently shown under the play button.

Sorry, there is simply no more room on the play button for a larger indicator.

riche wrote:Suggestion - The clear area on the right - next to the orange label - PATTERN/STEP SEQUENCER could have a nice bold BPM indicator.

This is on the drum machine only and is therefore no option, sorry.

riche wrote:I also wonder if Abelton Link is able to have a Master / Slave tempo configuration like midi does?
- this could prevent situations with multiple Linked users changing the tempo in undesirable ways or a battle for tempo control resulting in chaotic tempo variations - which may or may not be interesting (lol)

No, in an Ableton Link session, there is never a master or slave. That's the great benefit of Ableton Link.
But as mentioned above, when using Ableton Link, then the device or app that starts the session is the one that defines the initial tempo.
If you join an existing session, then the tempo will always be taken from the session, and never ever will the joining device or app affect the existing session tempo.

This is what the Ableton Link specification says:
Ableton Link is a technology that synchronizes musical beat, tempo, phase, and start/stop commands across multiple Link-enabled applications running on one or more devices. Applications on devices connected to the a local (wireless) network discover each other automatically and form a musical session in which each participant can perform independently: anyone can start or stop while still staying in time. Anyone can change the tempo, the others will follow. Anyone can join or leave without disrupting the session.

More details about Ableton Link at: https://www.ableton.com/en/link/
psy-goo

Postby psy-goo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:28 pm

I feel this need to.
An Idea, maybe you can swap bpm and playback icon, when on playback.

planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:54 pm

Welcome to the forum, psy-goo.
And thanks for your message.

psy-goo wrote:I feel this need to.
An Idea, maybe you can swap bpm and playback icon, when on playback.

I must admit, this is a good idea.
I'm not actively developing the apps at the moment, but I definitely keep that in mind. Maybe it'll fit in one of the next maintenance updates.
riche

Postby riche » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:32 pm

Agreed excellent idea Psy Goo ... Thanks for backing me on this one ...
...Please ... Would be soo good ...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:23 pm

Thank you both, riche and Psy Goo.
I'll have a look at this when I touch the code the next time.
riche

Postby riche » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:56 pm

:mrgreen:
Thank you
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:38 pm

Would that look right?

playbuttonlargebpm.jpg
playbuttonlargebpm.jpg (38.45 KiB) Viewed 9952 times

Note that there are 4 states. The yellow border indicates the tempo lock feature (on long press).

Here is a quick screen recording that shows the new behavior.

Overall I think this small change is a very useful improvement.
Thanks again, @riche and @psy-goo, for thinking further ;)

There will probably be one more official G-Stomper release this year, once the final version of Android 12 goes public.
This new feature will surely be part of it.
riche

Postby riche » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:00 pm

That looks fantastic :D ...
Many thanks again for your excellent software and amazing support.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:31 pm

riche wrote:That looks fantastic :D ...

Great! I'm glad to hear that you like it.

riche wrote:Many thanks again for your excellent software and amazing support.

Thank you, too, riche, for being such a long term user of it :)

Return to “Feature Requests”