Sfz Import

Questions and Discussions about the G-Stomper VA-Beast Synthesizer
ugurbecerik

Re: Sfz Import

Postby ugurbecerik » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm

My purpose of using sfz is being able to compose cross platform, GSS and Reaper. I have soft synths in vst format but i cant use them on GSS, and vice versa. But sfz files can be used on both platforms. I can sample my soft synths and convert to sfz format.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Swap OSC1 <=> OSC2 more than covers it. In fact, it would be better. The import function currently seems to erase the current OSC2 PCM setup. I don't think it's the most important thing, but yes please! :-D
On copyright and files. Yes, I can completely understand. Some companies play fast and loose with copyright, but they often have deep pockets and expensive layers.
If you want sounds to be hosted on someone else's server, there are things like this. There isn't currently anything uploaded, but I presume it works fine. 20MB file size limit.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/g-stomp ... /downloads
KVR is pretty popular for digital music creators, but if you point people in the direction of any specific site, that could be the default place for user content.
And you do sell GSS content on Google play, so it's up to you if you want to put more user based stuff out there. Also putting other sites and other moderators in control of semi official GSS content has its own issues, so I don't know if you would want to promote other sites. It's complicated!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:52 am

ugurbecerik wrote:My purpose of using sfz is being able to compose cross platform, GSS and Reaper. I have soft synths in vst format but i cant use them on GSS, and vice versa. But sfz files can be used on both platforms. I can sample my soft synths and convert to sfz format.

Ah, OK. Yes, that makes absolutely sense.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 am

Folkdisco wrote:Swap OSC1 <=> OSC2 more than covers it. In fact, it would be better. The import function currently seems to erase the current OSC2 PCM setup. I don't think it's the most important thing, but yes please! :-D

Actually the import just creates a completely new preset, which resets the OSC2, as the import only imports the preset to OSC1.
That's a good point, thanks for spotting it.
Having that in mind, a swap OSC1 <=> OSC2 won't solve the problem.
A simple function per OSC to load a particular OSC setup, either from a VA-Beast Preset or from an sfz would probably be the better solution.
I have to think about that a bit deeper.

Folkdisco wrote:On copyright and files. Yes, I can completely understand. Some companies play fast and loose with copyright, but they often have deep pockets and expensive layers.
If you want sounds to be hosted on someone else's server, there are things like this. There isn't currently anything uploaded, but I presume it works fine. 20MB file size limit.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/g-stomp ... /downloads
KVR is pretty popular for digital music creators, but if you point people in the direction of any specific site, that could be the default place for user content.
And you do sell GSS content on Google play, so it's up to you if you want to put more user based stuff out there. Also putting other sites and other moderators in control of semi official GSS content has its own issues, so I don't know if you would want to promote other sites. It's complicated!

20mb file size limit is unfortunately no option, as 99% or all GSS users save embedded file (which are quickly above that size).
Generally, if such a "database" would be included, then surely as a fully integrated module within the app.
But for now, there's no concrete plan.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 pm

On OSC2 swap or import, this would be a cool little thing, but I'm not too worried about it.
And I can confirm that not all people use embedded files. Them things is big! I'm up to version 024 of one of my songs, which is 3.2MB linked, and 38.4 embedded. I've got 26 different songs and doodles. You do the math! Currently 500MB of pattern sets, which could easily be 5GB. I *think* 20MB would be fine for some file saves, especially synth presets or any songs using only factory sounds, or small samples. I just checked, and I have a really nice bass saved at 395 bytes. You can get some amazing and complex sounds out of the beast without any samples or unison voices. Obviously, sharing a song without embedded sounds would be a bit silly!
As always, keep up the good work. This week, I made a kit out of the GregJazz samples. Sounds very different to your usual machine sounds. Retro fitting my old (two weeks) songs with new sounds.

Return to “G-Stomper VA-Beast Questions and Discussions”