OSC 2 Question

Questions and Discussions about the G-Stomper VA-Beast Synthesizer
userfish

OSC 2 Question

Postby userfish » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 pm

I new to synthesizer work but have been following the text manual with a lot of success, however, I don't understand how to utilize the OSC 2 to modify sound. My approach has basically been- read the manual, try out the OSC and wave forms/ LFO to get a feel for what sound is made for said manual function and proceed to the next section. So I got to OSC 2 and... nothing. It doesn't seem to change the pitch or the sound quality what so ever no matter how much I play with the Tune adjusters or wave functions. Can someone help me understand what I am missing? Maybe provide me with a setting necessary to get something out of the second OSC? Thanks!
planet-h

Re: OSC 2 Question

Postby planet-h » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 am

Welcome to the forum, userfish
And thanks for your message.

userfish wrote:I new to synthesizer work but have been following the text manual with a lot of success, however, I don't understand how to utilize the OSC 2 to modify sound. My approach has basically been- read the manual, try out the OSC and wave forms/ LFO to get a feel for what sound is made for said manual function and proceed to the next section. So I got to OSC 2 and... nothing. It doesn't seem to change the pitch or the sound quality what so ever no matter how much I play with the Tune adjusters or wave functions. Can someone help me understand what I am missing? Maybe provide me with a setting necessary to get something out of the second OSC? Thanks!

You have to adjust the OSC MIX 1/2 slider.
By default it is fully set to the left side, which means you only hear OSC1.
Move it to the center and you'll hear both, OSC1 and OSC2.
Move it to the right and you'll hear OSC2 only.

More details here: http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_VaBeastSynthesizer.htm#_Toc495408126

Does this answer your question?

Just for completion:
Depending on the selected OSC MOD type as explained here ...
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_VaBeastSynthesizer.htm#_Toc495408125
... OSC2 is not always supposed to be audible.
When using FM or DFM for example, you most likely want to use OSC2 to modulate the frequency of OSC1. In this case it's more suitable if you do not hear the direct output of OSC2.
userfish

Postby userfish » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am

Yes that helps a ton, thank you for the reply! The mix slider is addressed in the very next section of the user manual so I feel kinda silly now but I'm glad you provided the clarification. Thanks again!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:55 am

userfish wrote:Yes that helps a ton, thank you for the reply! The mix slider is addressed in the very next section of the user manual so I feel kinda silly now but I'm glad you provided the clarification. Thanks again!

You're welcome.
I'd say the OSC MIX Slider deserves a "note" in the main OSC2 chapter.
That way it would be easier to understand.
Would that have been helpful in your case?

Return to “G-Stomper VA-Beast Questions and Discussions”