Pedal to swich pattern

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
lonbluster

Pedal to swich pattern

Postby lonbluster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:14 am

Can anybody suggest a foot pedal I can use to switch between 2 or 3,4 patterns.? Bluetooth, Ableton?

I play guitar and got great fun recently with Gstomper drums.
Being able to change pattern at any time would really be an advantage over song mode. Basically is a click on the new pattern I need, without having to stop playing guitar.
planet-h

Re: Pedal to swich pattern

Postby planet-h » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:37 am

lonbluster wrote:Can anybody suggest a foot pedal I can use to switch between 2 or 3,4 patterns.? Bluetooth, Ableton?

I play guitar and got great fun recently with Gstomper drums.
Being able to change pattern at any time would really be an advantage over song mode. Basically is a click on the new pattern I need, without having to stop playing guitar.

You can use every MIDI pedal that can send one of the following:

- Specific Program Change messages
- Specific CC messages
- Specific Note On messages

I don't know of a specific Bluetooth MIDI capable pedal, but I'm sure there are some.

Just keep in mind that Bluetooth MIDI requires at least Android 6.0.
lonbluster

Postby lonbluster » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi Thanks!

What do you mean with
- Specific Program Change messages
- Specific CC messages
- Specific Note On messages
??

Are these to be found in the midi product description? What features do they enable?

I did try with a simple USB keyboard, before getting a pedal, and it works, even though is all about Arrows and Enter navigation. This could be enough if I have a pedal with 2 o 3 buttons (Left, Right and Enter), so I can move to a Pattern and Enter to select it.

But It would be best having a single button selecting a specific Pattern. So with a 4 button pedal I can get 4 different patterns.
Or can I program a keyboard touch in Gstomper to select the specific Patterns?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 am

lonbluster wrote:But It would be best having a single button selecting a specific Pattern. So with a 4 button pedal I can get 4 different patterns.
Or can I program a keyboard touch in Gstomper to select the specific Patterns?

Yes, and that button must be able to send one of the following MIDI messages towards G-Stomper Studio in order to switch the pattern:

- Specific Program Change (program value)
- Specific CC (control change, cc number and value)
- Specific Note On

Not all of them are required of course... these are the supported ones.
lonbluster

Postby lonbluster » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 am

planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:18 am

That looks quite nice, Ionbluster.
And regarding the FAQs at https://loopcommunity.com/en-us/faq/2/21 , it can send all supported MIDI messages to do G-Stomper Studio Pattern changes.

One important thing you should keep in mind if you use this setup on stage:
If you're using an Android device with an older Micro USB connector, then charging the device while using USB MIDI is technically not possible... except on devices that allow wireless charging
A newer Android device with a new USB type-C connector can charge and use USB MIDI at the same time.
In order to do this, a special hub like shown here https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part10.htm
or some Y-cable is required. There are surely other producs as the Delock hubs. I just mention these, because I've successfully tested them.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”