sampler hit key, hear sound and pitchbend quantize?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
emef
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 pm

sampler hit key, hear sound and pitchbend quantize?

Postby emef » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:58 pm

hi there, the first thing is something i've seen here before but can't remember how to do it and can't find the thread
the drum sampler makes the sound on the note off, i saw it written here sometime how to change that setting, but now i cant find it

and also i like to use pitchbend a lot for my synth sounds, but when i use pitchbend it sounds quantized rather than hearing the bendy sound, i hear the bendy sound ok until i record it, then it's quantized, where can i turn that pitchbend quantize off?

cheers for your help
User avatar
planet-h
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: sampler hit key, hear sound and pitchbend quantize?

Postby planet-h » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks for your message, emef

emef wrote:hi there, the first thing is something i've seen here before but can't remember how to do it and can't find the thread
the drum sampler makes the sound on the note off, i saw it written here sometime how to change that setting, but now i cant find it

Just to avoid confusion:
By default, the sampler drum pads (except on the sampler drum pads view) play the sample "on release" of the button (actually when you remove your finger from the screen).
You can theoretically describe this situation as NoteOff, but it has nothing to do with a MIDI NoteOff, as in case of MIDI, the drum pads always react and play the sample on NoteOn.
However, the easiest way to make them react "on touch" (when you touch the button with your finger) is to use "play" mode for the track pads.
1. Press the MODE button at the right side of the pads
2. Select the 'Play' Mode

Likewise you can generally enable the track pads to react on touch instead of on release.
Just keep in mind that in this case you'll lose the ability to long press those buttons.
To generally enable on touch behavior for the drum track pads:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_DrumSampler/part30.htm

emef wrote:and also i like to use pitchbend a lot for my synth sounds, but when i use pitchbend it sounds quantized rather than hearing the bendy sound, i hear the bendy sound ok until i record it, then it's quantized, where can i turn that pitchbend quantize off?

What pitch bend do you mean?
The one on the VA-Beast synth keyboard?

In what situation does it sound quntatized?
When you use it live in real-time?
Or when you have recorded it as automation?
emef
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: sampler hit key, hear sound and pitchbend quantize?

Postby emef » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:34 pm

ah yes that's it, the play mode, knew it was something simple, just couldn't remember what it was, thanks

and yes the pitchbend on the beast synth keyboard, when i record the pitchbend automation, the notes don't bend up or down, they jump to notes in a static way, the note bends up or down in a nice way till i record it
pitchbend sounds fine until i record it as automation, then it sounds steppy or quantized
sure it's something simple again like my last problem haha

cheers for your help
User avatar
planet-h
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: sampler hit key, hear sound and pitchbend quantize?

Postby planet-h » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:13 am

emef wrote:ah yes that's it, the play mode, knew it was something simple, just couldn't remember what it was, thanks

and yes the pitchbend on the beast synth keyboard, when i record the pitchbend automation, the notes don't bend up or down, they jump to notes in a static way, the note bends up or down in a nice way till i record it
pitchbend sounds fine until i record it as automation, then it sounds steppy or quantized
sure it's something simple again like my last problem haha

cheers for your help

What you notice when you record the pitchbend as automation is the step quantization.
The only way to reduce it is to choose a another step timing in the timing and measure section, e.g. 32 or even 64.

More details here:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_TimingAndMeasure/part7.htm
emef
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: sampler hit key, hear sound and pitchbend quantize?

Postby emef » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 am

ok then, it's a shame i can't record the same pitchbending i hear when i'm recording a pattern, any plans to make pitchbend work properly/smoothly?
i guess i'll stick with using portamento to get bends into my patterns

cheers :)
User avatar
planet-h
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: sampler hit key, hear sound and pitchbend quantize?

Postby planet-h » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 am

emef wrote:ok then, it's a shame i can't record the same pitchbending i hear when i'm recording a pattern, any plans to make pitchbend work properly/smoothly?
i guess i'll stick with using portamento to get bends into my patterns

cheers :)

Portamento is definitely a good workaround.
There are plans, not only for the pitch bend.
If we change the behavior, then we'll for the parameter automation in general, as the "quantization" you mentioned applies to all parameters, not only pitchbend.
The idea is to have two automation modes, one as it is now + one that will smoothen the hard edges. It has to be that way, since the quantization is given by the step sequencer internals.
I'll keep you posted;)
emef
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: sampler hit key, hear sound and pitchbend quantize?

Postby emef » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am

great to hear you have some plans to make pitchbend better, and thanks for answering my badly worded questions :)
i love this software, it's fantastic

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests