Hardware recommendations for G-Stomper Studio?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Sagebrush Gardener

Hardware recommendations for G-Stomper Studio?

Postby Sagebrush Gardener » Tue May 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi,

I am currently running G-Stomper Studio on a mid-range cell phone (a BLU Life 1). Performance is adequate, but it would be nice to have a larger screen to work with. I am thinking of getting a larger device, perhaps an Android tablet. Do you have any recommendations for brands and models that would work well for this purpose? Anything I should avoid? I don't want to spend a fortune on a top-of-the-line model unless it is really worth it, but I don't mind paying a little extra for better quality.

Thanks.

SG
planet-h

Re: Hardware recommendations for G-Stomper Studio?

Postby planet-h » Wed May 03, 2017 7:15 am

Sagebrush Gardener wrote:I am currently running G-Stomper Studio on a mid-range cell phone (a BLU Life 1). Performance is adequate, but it would be nice to have a larger screen to work with. I am thinking of getting a larger device, perhaps an Android tablet. Do you have any recommendations for brands and models that would work well for this purpose? Anything I should avoid? I don't want to spend a fortune on a top-of-the-line model unless it is really worth it, but I don't mind paying a little extra for better quality.

If you're looking for a good tablet in the middle price sector, then I'd go for a Google Nexus 9. They sell it on Amazon for around 230$. It runs on Android 7.1.1 and has an outstanding performance that can even compete with the latest top devices, and it runs at an internal latency of 3-5ms.

If you're willing to spend a bit more money, then a Google Picel C tablet would be a good choice.

Also Samsung tablets work very well. Just keep an eye on the CPU architecture. A lot of tablets advertise with octa-core CPUs. But 99% of them are just dual quad-core, where only one of the quad-core can run at a time. If MIDI is important for you, then you should stay away from Samsung devices that run on Android 5.1.1. Due to a security bug in Samsung's Android 5.1.1 it is not possible to use any USB MIDI hardware with such devices.

Hope that is helpful.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”