congratulations!

Questions and Discussions about the G-Stomper VA-Beast Synthesizer
L Jefe

congratulations!

Postby L Jefe » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:42 pm

I just got the VA Beast from the Amazon app store. I've been playing with it for several hours and I'm starting to know my way around, but still finding cool surprises. What a beautiful creation. It is running perfectly on my Kindle Fire 2nd generation. Using 8 voices it hasn't stuttered or glitched yet. The latency on the Kindle is frustrating (87ms), but the synth is still playable, especially with pads and, of course, using the arp.
I'm sure I'll have questions and comments soon, but for now, I just wanted to say thank you, it's fantastic.
Dauex

Re: congratulations!

Postby Dauex » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:49 am

L Jefe wrote:I just got the VA Beast from the Amazon app store.

Looked yesterday but did not find it - but now it is installed. [Fire HDX] [just don't expect me to catch up to the rest of you for a while]
[Now where are the instructions on transferring a sample to G-Stomper?]
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:57 am

L Jefe wrote:I just got the VA Beast from the Amazon app store. I've been playing with it for several hours and I'm starting to know my way around, but still finding cool surprises. What a beautiful creation. It is running perfectly on my Kindle Fire 2nd generation. Using 8 voices it hasn't stuttered or glitched yet. The latency on the Kindle is frustrating (87ms), but the synth is still playable, especially with pads and, of course, using the arp.
I'm sure I'll have questions and comments soon, but for now, I just wanted to say thank you, it's fantastic.

Dauex wrote:Looked yesterday but did not find it - but now it is installed. [Fire HDX] [just don't expect me to catch up to the rest of you for a while]
[Now where are the instructions on transferring a sample to G-Stomper?]

Thank you very much guys for being the very first owners of the VA-Beast full version (on Amazon).

@L Jefe
Thanks a lot man, I'm glad to hear that you like it :). Yes, agree, latency is an issue on Android, not on all devices, but still on many. Unfortunately it's not only the audio latency, there's also a latency of the touchscreen (the time between touching it and the moment android notice the touch). Even Midi over USB has a relatively high latency. But this gets better with every new Android release.

@Dauex
I'm curious how the latency is on the Fire HDX. Can you eventually check it in the VA-Beast settings (in the audio frame) and post it here? Would be very interesting.
Abouth the sample creation: For now, the VA-Beast is a pure live instrument, there's no way to export audio from within the app, but this will change in one of the next updates. There's a bunch of new things coming..
- Morph groups, dedicated controllers, where you can map multiple other parameters to (e.g. 30% of the filter frequency, positive or negative, etc.)
- It'll get multitimbral (which means, you can have up to n VA-Beasts at once when using it over midi)
- And hopefully some way to export audio... just don't know how exactly to do this in a proper way yet, that's the reason why it's not yet integrated)

For now, if you want to create samples with it, the only way is to record them externally when pressing the keys.
Dauex

Postby Dauex » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 pm

planeth wrote:@Dauex
I'm curious how the latency is on the Fire HDX. Can you eventually check it in the VA-Beast settings (in the audio frame) and post it here? Would be very interesting.

Current reading is: 128 ms. I can hit three keys before the first sound sounds.
[But for the Organ voices that is about right - simulates the mechanical movements of the old church organs]
[Thanks for telling me where to look.]
[For just playing as a keyboard I find EFX:1 better then the EFX:2 that all the samples seem to be set at]
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Dauex wrote:Current reading is: 128 ms.

Thanks a lot for the info, Dauex.
This is really strange. I really don't understand the tablet producers. How can a new Hdx device have an almost twice times longer latency then an older Kindle (2th gen) with 87ms. Somehow confusing to me.

About the efx: You can change each of the 3 efx to your personal favorite settings. For each of the 3 effect processors you can choose from 28 different effect types, just push the Efx1, Efx2 or Efx3 button on the efx screen to show the list of available efx types. Once selected, you can tweak each effect using 4 parameters (push p3-4 to switch the faders from param 1, 2 to param 3, 4). On the master section you have a sum effect processor with provides almost the same functionality, its only limitation is the number of effect types which is 24 (the most memory using efx are excluded from the sum efx). Btw, to navigate to the master section, long click the efx edit button on the synth main screen;)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Dauex wrote:[Now where are the instructions on transferring a sample to G-Stomper?]

Btw. almost forgot.. the VA-Beast Synthesizer will be included in G-Stomper Beat Studio 3.0, not sure if you knew that already. Once this is released you can use it directly in the sequencer, and there of course you will be able to export audio as well using the bounce feature.
L Jefe

Postby L Jefe » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:19 pm

This is exciting. Beat Studio + VA Beast is a dream instrument for me, really.
I'm having a lot of fun with the long press panic button (keyboard hold, I think) and the arp. I'm also getting cool results using the chord memory + the arp.
When using chord memory, if I turn keyboard hold on I can input inverted chords. In what circumstance would it be better to input chords without keyboard hold engaged? Can you share any tips to get the most out of the chord memory feature?
Thanks!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:45 am

L Jefe wrote:This is exciting. Beat Studio + VA Beast is a dream instrument for me, really.
I'm having a lot of fun with the long press panic button (keyboard hold, I think) and the arp. I'm also getting cool results using the chord memory + the arp.
When using chord memory, if I turn keyboard hold on I can input inverted chords. In what circumstance would it be better to input chords without keyboard hold engaged? Can you share any tips to get the most out of the chord memory feature?
Thanks!

Thank you very much L Jefe, that's music in my ears :)
Yes, long pressing the Panic button enables the 'audible' KB hold. Keep in mind that it's not the same like the KB hold in the Chord Mem section.

I've just created 2 new dedicated VA-Beast Forums: G-Stomper VA-Beast Questions and Discussions + G-Stomper VA-Beast Tips
I moved this thread into the VA-Beast Questions and discussions since it's fully related to the synthesizer.

Furthermore I've created new Topic in the G-Stomper VA-Beast Tips forum, regarding the Chord Mem feature in detail:
Using the Chord Memory Feature
Dauex

Postby Dauex » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:28 pm

planeth wrote:

This is really strange. I really don't understand the tablet producers. How can a new Hdx device have an almost twice times longer latency then an older Kindle (2th gen) with 87ms. Somehow confusing to me.

Have not learned how to fine tune the Hdx. Maybe there are tweaks? Wifi is off and dont see anything else running.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Dauex wrote:
planeth wrote:

Have not learned how to fine tune the Hdx. Maybe there are tweaks? Wifi is off and dont see anything else running.

I think there is no way to tune it for better latency. It's depending on the hardware, the operating system and the native driver. Unfortunately there's no way around it.

Return to “G-Stomper VA-Beast Questions and Discussions”