G-Stomper Sneak peek at the upcoming Synthesizer

Questions and Discussions about the G-Stomper VA-Beast Synthesizer
Offaksis

Re: G-Stomper Sneak peek at the upcoming Synthesizer

Postby Offaksis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Wow, "the most important since G-stomper 1.0" that's huge, Especially coming from u the Dev!

I have an sgII, how do u think it will run on one of these?
I'm excited about the synth, but don't want to lose all the great existing functionality...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Offaksis wrote:Wow, "the most important since G-stomper 1.0" that's huge, Especially coming from u the Dev!

Actually a lot of modules in the audio core have been rebuilt during the development of the synth, all the filters for example. They sound the same, but their performance is much better now. (especially in relation with hiqhfrequent modulations by LFOs or oscillators). Also the LFOs are completely rewritten, A new special LFO waveform has been added, a mix between smooth saw and a 3 times faster running sine wave, called triple peak wave, you'll love it ;). Many things have been changed in the audio core, nothing that you'll see when using the app, but required to integrate the synth. And of course there'll be a real piano roll for the synth in addition to the existing one on the main screen. Last but not least, synth itself had to be created, which alone was more work than the initial development of G-Stomper 1.0

Offaksis wrote:I have an sgII, how do u think it will run on one of these?

I'm developing on a galaxy nexus dual core which has exactly the same specs as your galaxy s2. This will work very well :). The only difference for the specs is that the new release will use more memory, which means Android 2.x will not longer be supported. But you have Android 4 on your s2 anyway, don't you?

Offaksis wrote:I'm excited about the synth, but don't want to lose all the great existing functionality...

You won't lose any existing functionality, there are just additions and improvements, nothing will be removed.
Offaksis

Postby Offaksis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 am

Wow, that's full on! A lot of time &effort, But sound like the already streamline smallish app will b even more efficient! Kudos2u
Triple peak sounds interesting :D

Awesome news that it will run fine on the s2 :)
Sure thing, I'm running 4.1.2 (the latest my Australian carrier has put out)

I was worried it wouldn't run well on the s2, so the functionality I meant was performance loss (rather than features removed :) ) thanks for clarifying tho!

It's gonna b an even sweeter package than it already is!
Thanks for ur hard work and dedication!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Offaksis wrote:I was worried it wouldn't run well on the s2, so the functionality I meant was performance loss (rather than features removed :) ) thanks for clarifying tho!

I think the main difference between the high end and the a bit slower devices will be that the slower ones (guess the dual core ones) can use less voices, or in other words less synth instances at once. It'll not affect the performance of the sampler modules .. as long you do not use synths ;)
Dauex

Postby Dauex » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:48 am

planeth wrote:Thank you Offaksis.
The synthesizer is actually that big and versatile that it'll make G-Stomper to a complete new application. .

"For the developers: G-Stomper is written in pure JAVA, it uses no NDK and it's developed within the 24mb (per app) limit."

If it gets too big having a standalone Synthesizer to create interesting samples for G-Stomper might be acceptable.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Dauex wrote:"For the developers: G-Stomper is written in pure JAVA, it uses no NDK and it's developed within the 24mb (per app) limit."
If it gets too big having a standalone Synthesizer to create interesting samples for G-Stomper might be acceptable.

There'll be a standalone synth version in addition to the integrated one.

It's not the memory, which sorts out the older devices. I'm anyway having memory problems with Android 2.x devices since a while. Most of the android 2.x devices are not even dual core, which is definitely too slow to run G-Stomper. The next release will require android 3.0 or higher run properly. Those who already own G-Stomper on 2.x devices can still download and use it. But they won't get updates beyond 2.6.8a.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:35 pm

The Beast is getting alive!!

Finally the synth is in alpha state, here are the latest screenshots:
Lot of things have been completed and improved since the last posting.
- Octave shift function in the synth presets
- The Filter frequency can be Keybord tracked, so that it depends on the played note
- The Filter Envelope is invertible now
- The Arpeggio supports 4 modes, Up, Down, Up/Down and Random, + you can switch between a range of 1-4 octaves
- A base Factory preset library has been built up
- The synthesizer provides over 80 parameters per preset to tune the sound
- And of course, it's polyphonic, in the current version limited to 6 voices.

vabeast_main_top.jpg
vabeast_main_top.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 16069 times

vabeast_main_bottom_nokb.jpg
vabeast_main_bottom_nokb.jpg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 16069 times

vabeast_main_top_nokb.jpg
vabeast_main_top_nokb.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 16069 times

Also important changes were in the morphing framework:
- Every LFO can be used as Envelope as well, on the other hand every mod Envelope can be used in repeat mode (LFO like).
- Mod Envelopes can get assigned to the same destinations as the LFOs, but in addition the mod Envelopes can be hooked to the LFOs (frequency or amount)
- Mod Envelopes can used as AD, AHR or as mentioned before as AD repeatable

Here are the modulation destinations for the LFOs:
vabeast_main_lfo_destinations.jpg
vabeast_main_lfo_destinations.jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 16069 times

... and for the Mod Envelopes
vabeast_main_modenv_destinations.jpg
vabeast_main_modenv_destinations.jpg (56.7 KiB) Viewed 16069 times
Musical Android

Postby Musical Android » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Drool drool
That looks excellent!!!
Work day and night we want it before christmas!!!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:32 am

Musical Android wrote:Drool drool
That looks excellent!!!
Work day and night we want it before christmas!!!

hahaha, I'm doing already.
Thanks a lot Frank, I'm glad you like it
Offaksis

Postby Offaksis » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:41 am

WOW! :shock:

Return to “G-Stomper VA-Beast Questions and Discussions”