Moved to arturia Spark(LE)

Suggest and discuss new features here.
lonbluster

Moved to arturia Spark(LE)

Postby lonbluster » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:21 pm

HI Gstompers,

After a long time meeting Gstomper I finally moved to Ableton and got a Spark drum machine. But Gstomper gave me a great start with these drum machines, and I think is still the best in some way.
I just did t find it much flexible even though it makes great efforts.
For instance the sample switching is too painful (and why such poor selection?), and the audio quality is very demanding on phone resources, so a dedicated hardware should be purchased.
Is still the best in many ways. I even tried to connect it with usb to Windows and route the midi out to Ableton in order to have some functionality, but the sequencer only without sample editing is not very interesting.

My research was geared at controlling the drum machine from multiple midi controllers on my feet, so to have a real time drummer, in addition to guitar, which Gstomper do very well, but then I am a Windows guy and got everything in Ableton (which doesn't make miracles for drumming if it was t for the Spark plugin).
Tried Stochas, Pigments, Addictive Drums, HYseq, the Ableton rack, nothing compares better with the sound and flow of the Arturia Spark.

Keep up Gstomper!
planet-h

Re: Moved to arturia Spark(LE)

Postby planet-h » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:21 am

lonbluster wrote:After a long time meeting Gstomper I finally moved to Ableton and got a Spark drum machine. But Gstomper gave me a great start with these drum machines, and I think is still the best in some way.

Spark LE is definitely a cool little machine. And Ableton is surely the best choice as a host software ;)

lonbluster wrote:I just did t find it much flexible even though it makes great efforts.
For instance the sample switching is too painful (and why such poor selection?), and the audio quality is very demanding on phone resources, so a dedicated hardware should be purchased.

Sample selection in G-Stomper is dead-easy when you copy the samples to the G-Stomper owned storage.
Have you ever tried the quick sample selector? Give it a try, you'll love it.
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part10.htm

All you have to do is to copy your samples into the right folders
https://www.planet-h.com/faq/#useoldfilehandling

To answer your question why ...
It was Google who forced every developer to start using their System File Picker. There is no way around that. And it's all under the cover of privacy and data protection. That's the way mobile devices will work from now on. It's forced by Google, by law, and by the consumers who wanted that law.

lonbluster wrote:Is still the best in many ways. I even tried to connect it with usb to Windows and route the midi out to Ableton in order to have some functionality, but the sequencer only without sample editing is not very interesting.

You can easily synchronize all G-Stomper apps over Ableton Link (over WiFi) and use it in combination with Ableton. It's super stable, way more stable than MIDI clock sync ever was.
https://www.planet-h.com/documentation/ableton-link/

Furthermore, hook up a Focusrite Scarlet USB audio interface to your Android and get super low latency results.

lonbluster wrote:My research was geared at controlling the drum machine from multiple midi controllers on my feet, so to have a real time drummer, in addition to guitar, which Gstomper do very well, but then I am a Windows guy and got everything in Ableton (which doesn't make miracles for drumming if it was t for the Spark plugin).

As said, try to sync G-Stomper using Ableton Link. Btw. G-Stomper even supports Ableton Link 3.x (including start/stop sync).

lonbluster wrote:Tried Stochas, Pigments, Addictive Drums, HYseq, the Ableton rack, nothing compares better with the sound and flow of the Arturia Spark.

Yeah, the spark LE is great. At some point in the past, I even thought about buying one for myself, as I really like the compact design. But after all, it was too limited for what I'd use it.

Return to “Feature Requests”