Charging device MIDI controller simultaneously attached

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Freeradical36

Charging device MIDI controller simultaneously attached

Postby Freeradical36 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:22 pm

Have searched around a bit to no avail...
Would like to attach my midi Controller to my device.
But it occupies my charging port. If I use a powered hub I should be able to simultaneously charge my device(tablet) while controlling it with my MIDI device, correct?

Also why is the otg what everyone suggest, when your device is likely to die mid production.
planet-h

Re: Charging device MIDI controller simultaneously attached

Postby planet-h » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:44 am

Welcome to the forum, Freeradical36.

Freeradical36 wrote:Have searched around a bit to no avail...
Would like to attach my midi Controller to my device.
But it occupies my charging port. If I use a powered hub I should be able to simultaneously charge my device(tablet) while controlling it with my MIDI device, correct?

With a standard powered usb hub, no. That won't feed power to the host port as far as I know.
The only thing a powered hub does is to power the OTG clients, but not the host.

But after a bit of research I found out that you can use a special USB OTG adapter with an additional female plug to feed the power in:
Amazon.com: OTG power
Also here, most of the cable manufacturers clearly state, that you cannot charge and be USB OTG host at the same time, but many users say that it works.
And since such a cable costs only a few $, it's definitely worth a try.

Also found this one, which obviously does exactly what you're looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hrYvMLPH8g. Looks like a special kind of USB hub.

Or, if your device supports it, you can use a wireless charger, but unfortunately that list isn't very long.
These Android phones can handle wireless charging

I didn't test one of the ways by myself, but it looks serious and makes sense in my opinion.

Freeradical36 wrote:Also why is the otg what everyone suggest, when your device is likely to die mid production.

For the same reason why everyone is using MIDI over USB on a PC or Mac.
Because it's the only way to achieve a stable enough timing.
WIFI is nice, but it has a delay, depending on the WIFI strength and stability.
Same applies to bluetooth, but with even more delay.
Freeradical36

Postby Freeradical36 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:38 am

Thank you,shouldve waited for the answer on the first question b4 asking the second.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:12 am

Freeradical36 wrote:Would like to attach my midi Controller to my device.

Check out the Delock 4 Port USB Type C Hub with and Power Delivery
(requires a device with an USB Type C connector + Android 6.0.1)

We've just published a working solution for devices with an USB Type C connector at our MIDI Info Page.

On older devices with a Micro USB connector, it is technically impossible (at least officially) to charge your device while USB hardware is connected.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”