Midi In/Out/Thru question

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
karnold

Midi In/Out/Thru question

Postby karnold » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 am

Hi All!

Anyone has idea for setting up an 'M Audio Trigger Finger Pro' midi pad, a 'GStomper' as midi sequencer and an old 'Akai Sampler'. (Using Edirol UM-1 Midi Cable, with G Stomper settings: send&receive notes)

Trigger Finger Pro midi pads goes to Gstomper midi in. Works perfectly with usb-midi cable.
But when i connect to Akai sampler midi input problems coming....
If i hit the pad the Gstomper receive it, but can't forward to Akai Sampler. Although while pushing a pad i dont hear anything but after G stomper has note steps recorded the sound will come out from Akai Sampler.
There is a Midi Thru switch on the usb-midi cable. If switched on and hitting pad will sound on Akai Sampler, but goes only thru G Stomper, so like that i can not record in G stomper while hitting the pads.

So i want to hear the sound of the sampler when i play them by external pad and also after those recorded to G Stomper steps.

Thanks in advance,
Arnold
planet-h

Re: Midi In/Out/Thru question

Postby planet-h » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm

karnold wrote:Anyone has idea for setting up an 'M Audio Trigger Finger Pro' midi pad, a 'GStomper' as midi sequencer and an old 'Akai Sampler'. (Using Edirol UM-1 Midi Cable, with G Stomper settings: send&receive notes)

Trigger Finger Pro midi pads goes to Gstomper midi in. Works perfectly with usb-midi cable.
But when i connect to Akai sampler midi input problems coming....
If i hit the pad the Gstomper receive it, but can't forward to Akai Sampler. Although while pushing a pad i dont hear anything but after G stomper has note steps recorded the sound will come out from Akai Sampler.
There is a Midi Thru switch on the usb-midi cable. If switched on and hitting pad will sound on Akai Sampler, but goes only thru G Stomper, so like that i can not record in G stomper while hitting the pads.

So i want to hear the sound of the sampler when i play them by external pad and also after those recorded to G Stomper steps.

G-Stomper cannot route the MIDI in to the MIDI out directly (known as MIDI thru).
G-Stomper receives MIDI events from the pad, and it sends MIDI events to the Akai sampler, but it cannot pass the events from the pad through and send them directly to the Akai Sampler.

What you need are two little hardware pieces:
A MIDI Thru box: https://www.esi-audio.com/products/mikrothru/
A MIDI Merge box: https://www.esi-audio.com/products/mikromerge/
(as a matter of course, you can also choose another brand)

The pad MIDI out goes to the MIDI Thru box in.
One MIDI Thru out goes to G-Stomper MIDI in.
One MIDI Thru out goes to one of the MIDI Merge ins.
G-Stomper MIDI out goes to one of the MIDI Merge ins as well.
MIDI Merge out goes to the Akai Sampler.

A similar setup is used in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM9cRMkTADM
The Akai keys + mod wheel control G-Stomper and the Nord 3, while G-Stomper controls the Nord 3 as well.
Even though the setup in the video is a bit more complex, it's basically what you want to do.

Hope that answers your question.
karnold

Re: Midi In/Out/Thru question

Postby karnold » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:44 pm

I thought it would be a little complicated...
Watching your video I think this is exactly what i want in my setup.
Thanks for your help and detailed infos to make this setup.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”