Some questions - Sample Pack updates and VA Beast crackles.

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
riche

Some questions - Sample Pack updates and VA Beast crackles.

Postby riche » Mon May 07, 2018 11:51 am

I see the Sample Packs get updates - I let Google do its thing and update - do I have to run the installs again to update content?
As a matter of interest what is getting updated in the Sample Packs?

Ok I have some occasional Crackle problems with my Tablet with some VA Beast tracks ...
These same Tracks run fine on my Sony Phone which has a better Processor (8 core) than the Huawei T3 Media Pad I have (4 core)
The crackle happens when track with VA Beast part on is triggered and pattern set starts playing - goes away and never comes back after that even when going back to pattern later or even loading song later with current G-Stomper session...
So I usually just play the crackle out as part of a sound check and all is ok - but a bit of a worry nevertheless:(
I have tried reducing number of VA Beast parts and Voices - not really helping...
Any other settings I can mess with that have high CPU use impact? Maybe latency settings?
Maybe the Graphical elements toggles can help? ... Hmmm Ill give those a shot...

Also could fiddle with FX inserts used on tracks:
I see now that I am using Moog LP Filter on both Rhythm part and a VA-Beast part (as track Effect inserts) ... will fiddle and let you know...
planet-h

Re: Some questions - Sample Pack updates and VA Beast crackles.

Postby planet-h » Mon May 07, 2018 12:42 pm

riche wrote:I see the Sample Packs get updates - I let Google do its thing and update - do I have to run the installs again to update content?
As a matter of interest what is getting updated in the Sample Packs?

In this special case, it's not required to re-install, as these updates are just changing the app icons and fixing some technical issues in the background.

riche wrote:Ok I have some occasional Crackle problems with my Tablet with some VA Beast tracks ...
These same Tracks run fine on my Sony Phone which has a better Processor (8 core) than the Huawei T3 Media Pad I have (4 core)
The crackle happens when track with VA Beast part on is triggered and pattern set starts playing - goes away and never comes back after that even when going back to pattern later or even loading song later with current G-Stomper session...
So I usually just play the crackle out as part of a sound check and all is ok - but a bit of a worry nevertheless:(
I have tried reducing number of VA Beast parts and Voices - not really helping...
Any other settings I can mess with that have high CPU use impact? Maybe latency settings?
Maybe the Graphical elements toggles can help? ... Hmmm Ill give those a shot...

Also could fiddle with FX inserts used on tracks:
I see now that I am using Moog LP Filter on both Rhythm part and a VA-Beast part (as track Effect inserts) ... will fiddle and let you know...

Just reduce the sample rate... that will help.
Main Screen / Setup / Aud / Sample Rate = 32000Hz or even 22050Hz
riche

Postby riche » Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 am

Yip that did help...
Had to take Sample rate down to 22050Hz though as well as change Audio system down to Audio Track high latency and set Internal latency to high as I could not do this with Audio Track N Audio System...
So now concerned as to Audio output quality @ 22050?
Hmmmm... Thinking mebbe use my 8 core phone for Audio output (as it plays tracks perfectly without stutter) and Albeton link tablet as controller?
Or am I being paranoid - 22050Hz... :roll:
Let me test this on a big rig sometime and hear sound quality @ 22050 and native 44100Hz...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 am

riche wrote:Yip that did help...
Had to take Sample rate down to 22050Hz though as well as change Audio system down to Audio Track high latency and set Internal latency to high as I could not do this with Audio Track N Audio System...
So now concerned as to Audio output quality @ 22050?

You'll definitely hear a difference, as 22050Hz provides less than the half of the samples of 48000Hz in the same time span.
But depending on the particular sound, you won't notice it badly.
So the best is to test it.
Btw. with Audio Track N you cannot adjust the latency level because it does it automatically;). So basically, on Android 7, Audio Track N is always the best choice.

riche wrote:Hmmmm... Thinking mebbe use my 8 core phone for Audio output (as it plays tracks perfectly without stutter) and Albeton link tablet as controller?

How do you mean that?
You mean your tablet to act as a MIDI controller?
Ableton Link is not able to transmit anything else than synchronization data.

riche wrote:Or am I being paranoid - 22050Hz... :roll:
Let me test this on a big rig sometime and hear sound quality @ 22050 and native 44100Hz...

May I ask what tablet you're using?
Ideally just send me a message from inside the app on this tablet (main menu / help / contact developer).
With the info in the mail header I can maybe send you some settings to optimize the performance.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue May 08, 2018 6:45 am

riche wrote:I see now that I am using Moog LP Filter on both Rhythm part and a VA-Beast part (as track Effect inserts) ... will fiddle and let you know...

If you find a way to share the Moog LP, e.g. by using it as a send FX instead of the inserts, then you'll get a lot more performance headroom.

Also, the most CPU intensive part of the VA-Beast synth is the UNISON effect (as it layers up to 5 voices).
If you turn UNISON off where you don't really need it (e.g. for Bass synths), then you'll also get quite a lot of extra headroom.
riche

Postby riche » Tue May 08, 2018 7:16 am

Many thanks for all that...fantastic help and support for your app:)
I will take a look at all your advice and comments later and get back to you...
riche

Postby riche » Tue May 08, 2018 9:20 pm

I wiil try be brief...
As I said will test quality using lower sample rates.

Yes I was planning to do the impossible - OK so I'll try Albeton link for Syncing.

My tablet details I sent 2 you via email as directed.
HUAWEI have added their "skin" to the Android system - it really seems as if OS partially disabled by Huawei... My Sony phone has same Android version and has a different interface... May consider rooting the Tablet.

I have had another look at my pattern set that has crackel and see that I have been way over generous with Moog effects inserts and have also applied MGLP filter AND LFO mod to many of tracks :twisted:.... So probibally pushing the CPU way too much...
I will rethink the effects and track modulation and rather use G-Stomper at more optimal sample rate and Audio System (track N)

Let me fiddle some more and rationalise my effects and VA-Beast usage as you suggest... Many thanks again :D
riche

Postby riche » Fri May 18, 2018 12:27 pm

... Moving this thread to a new Subject - as this could be a useful discussion ... I tried to rename - could not :(
>>> New Thread : Optimising Processor Usage

Hmmm I see now maybe renaming is possible when editing posts ... duh ...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm

No problem at all..;)
New thread is fine. I've linked your new title to the new thread.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”