[MIDI Setup Presets DONE in 5.7.1.5] Easier MIDI mapping

Suggest and discuss new features here.
dag

[MIDI Setup Presets DONE in 5.7.1.5] Easier MIDI mapping

Postby dag » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:44 am

Not super critical but it would be helpful if it was a bit easier to set up MIDI mappings. The concept used in some other apps is you press a button, then the on-screen control you want mapped, and then hit the button or move the knob or whatever on your MIDI device. You get some of this in G-Stomper with "learn" but you have to go to the MIDI setup and find the relevant control in the list and also know or figure out which one it is. If you want the physical controller to somewhat reflect the screen layout it's even trickier. Say you have a row of five knobs on your controller and you want to map them to the first five sliders on the main drum machine view, in the same order. In the Sampler CC Mappings view these are not listed in the same order, and you have to repeatedly go back (if you don't have photographic memory or a separate screen to look at) to find the next control to assign. It's even trickier if you're trying to map something that's not in the drum machine because you now also have to go to the drum machine each time to reach the setup.

So, yeah, not a critical feature but it would make it smoother if controls where MIDI mappable "live" in the interface itself. Even more so if you tend to change those mappings frequently and on the fly.
planet-h

Re: Easier MIDI mapping

Postby planet-h » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:35 pm

dag wrote:Not super critical but it would be helpful if it was a bit easier to set up MIDI mappings. The concept used in some other apps is you press a button, then the on-screen control you want mapped, and then hit the button or move the knob or whatever on your MIDI device. You get some of this in G-Stomper with "learn" but you have to go to the MIDI setup and find the relevant control in the list and also know or figure out which one it is. If you want the physical controller to somewhat reflect the screen layout it's even trickier. Say you have a row of five knobs on your controller and you want to map them to the first five sliders on the main drum machine view, in the same order. In the Sampler CC Mappings view these are not listed in the same order, and you have to repeatedly go back (if you don't have photographic memory or a separate screen to look at) to find the next control to assign. It's even trickier if you're trying to map something that's not in the drum machine because you now also have to go to the drum machine each time to reach the setup.

So, yeah, not a critical feature but it would make it smoother if controls where MIDI mappable "live" in the interface itself. Even more so if you tend to change those mappings frequently and on the fly.

I had that in mind at the beginning, but it turned out as too big in various ways.
To realize that way of mapping, the complete UI must have two general modes, the regular mode where every control acts normal, and a special midi learn mode, where every control must initiate the learn process. To make it perfect, there must be an overlay (in midi learn mode) on every control that shows the actual cc number.

Unfortunately this would blow up the UI way too much. It is already at the very limits, and there's no room (memory, number of UI elements, etc. etc.) for more.
Sorry for not having better news on that.

If I add MIDI setup presets in the future, it might be that a windows editor for these files would could cover that. Just an Idea.
Or at last, the SETUP switch on all screens would be a start.
Hiccup

Postby Hiccup » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:56 am

Since there are now several cheap midi controller on the market, with lots of knobs and sliders, it would be very nice to get this feature. After 2 years is there a chance to get this implemented? When it is too much stuff for the main app it could be possible to have a second app for setting up the midi controls. With the same layout of the main app and only for settings like discussed before. Not perfect of course, but it would be important not to change the operating system. So all on android is nice.
Would be nice to hear something new. Thanks!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:26 am

Welcome to the forum, Hickup

Hiccup wrote:Since there are now several cheap midi controller on the market, with lots of knobs and sliders, it would be very nice to get this feature. After 2 years is there a chance to get this implemented? When it is too much stuff for the main app it could be possible to have a second app for setting up the midi controls. With the same layout of the main app and only for settings like discussed before. Not perfect of course, but it would be important not to change the operating system. So all on android is nice.
Would be nice to hear something new. Thanks!

A second app is not possible, because apps cannot access each other's persistent preferences.
There would be work-arounds for a second app, e.g. by caching the MIDI mappings in a file.
But to be honest, the costs of such a "new" app would stand in no relation to its outcome.

A complete overlay for the UI is unfortunately still not realizable with the current system resources, sorry.
But what I could see as a realizable feature is to save MIDI mappings in form of presets, so that you can transfer them from device to device.
Would that be helpful?
Hiccup

Postby Hiccup » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:21 pm

Thank you to welcome me :D
I think it is a good way to transfer, share and backup the settings. For some people it could be interesting to have a topic in the forum for best solutions on different midi controllers including the settings.
What do you think how much time do you need to get this implemented?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:29 pm

Hiccup wrote:Thank you to welcome me :D
I think it is a good way to transfer, share and backup the settings. For some people it could be interesting to have a topic in the forum for best solutions on different midi controllers including the settings.
What do you think how much time do you need to get this implemented?

Fully agree. I cannot give you an e.t.a. yet, but it shouldn't take too long. MIDI mapping presets are planned since a while and can easily be moved upwards in the priority list.
Thanks for the push ;)
Hiccup

Postby Hiccup » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:57 pm

That's great!
When this is fully implemented, I do my best to find another feature to push :lol:
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 am

Hiccup wrote:That's great!
When this is fully implemented, I do my best to find another feature to push :lol:

MIDI setup presets have been rolled out with v.5.7.1.5.
Hiccup

Re: [MIDI Setup Presets DONE in 5.7.1.5] Easier MIDI mapping

Postby Hiccup » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Thank you for this quick solution.
:D

Return to “Feature Requests”