8 bar pattern skipping forward after 1 bar

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Folkdisco

8 bar pattern skipping forward after 1 bar

Postby Folkdisco » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Got a strange one, and I don't know if it's a bug, or a feature I don't know about that's making things behave this way. I created a song with 29 patterns. On the third time, and subsequent times, that A3 plays, pretty far into the song, it just plays the first bar of an 8 bar pattern, then skips onto the next pattern. It plays fine for the first couple of times. You can see the progress bar on the Pattern get a tiny way along before it skips to the next pattern.
I discovered this after I had exported the song as audio, but it's there when I play back the song too.
Also, all other patterns seem to be playing fine.
Folkdisco

Re: 8 bar pattern skipping forward after 1 bar

Postby Folkdisco » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:03 am

Seems like the problem was in the song structure, not A3. Tried editing A3, choosing a different pattern, etc, with no effect. Then removed all the song steps back to before the problem, and it seems fine. Could send you the file if you're interested? My big suspicion is that I was reducing pattern length in bars on the "timing and measure" screen while the song was playing, and it went over into A3, mid button press. I am thinking that is *probably* either the song step was set at shorter, or it created some error in the song code that made it skip forward. But strange that it seemed to pass forward to future A3s in the song. Anyway, not a problem now.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks for your message, Folkdisco.
What you report is not a bug, it's actually a feature called "advanced pattern changes".
In live mode as well as in the song arrangement, you can have 3 different pattern change types:
1. Regular (yellow): at the end of the pattern
2. Advanced1 (blue): at the end of the first/next bar (starting the next pattern at bar 1)
3. Advanced2 (green): at the end of the first/next bar (starting the next pattern at the next upcoming bar)

You can change the behavior of a particular song step in song edit mode by consecutively clicking the same pattern slot.

All details here:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSetSongArranger/part18.htm
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Ah, so it probably wasn't A3, but the following step, which I will have double clicked. I figured it was probably a bit more likely to be something I did, a feature, not a fault. And that does make complete sense, if you are able to create and replicate a song by recording a performance. If you are recording in song mode, does automation get recorded in the pattern or the song?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Folkdisco wrote:If you are recording in song mode, does automation get recorded in the pattern or the song?

Automations are always in the patterns, as there's no separate song timeline.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 pm

And I forgot to say, thank you for clearing this up. I'll send you a link to my song once I've done the vocals and guitar. Currently, version 037!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 am

Folkdisco wrote:And I forgot to say, thank you for clearing this up. I'll send you a link to my song once I've done the vocals and guitar. Currently, version 037!

You're welcome

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”