[DONE in 5.7.1] Pattern Set... Play mode - no edit mode

Suggest and discuss new features here.
riche

[DONE in 5.7.1] Pattern Set... Play mode - no edit mode

Postby riche » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Is there a - no edit - just play mode when using pattern sets.
It seems in pattern mode when you change mutes and other settings while playing a pattern then move to another pattern and back later to the pattern you changed it goes back to the pattern as you had modified it... all mutes etc...
Would be nice if it could rather go back to original settings of pattern set...
This would be a "play" mode... Rather than edit mode it seems to currently operate in.
You should still be able to change settings and mutes for performance... But the pattern set itself remembers the original saved state of mutes etc...
This is particularly important if the pattern set you want to go back to was a strong dynamic change (like a drop)... In performance you may unmute some tracks to build up - move to another pattern then later return to the dynamic change... As it is now you would go to the state the pattern was in after applying changes during performance :( thus not getting to the dynamic change the pattern was originally set to...
planet-h

Re: Pattern Set... Play mode - no edit mode

Postby planet-h » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:58 am

riche wrote:Is there a - no edit - just play mode when using pattern sets.
It seems in pattern mode when you change mutes and other settings while playing a pattern then move to another pattern and back later to the pattern you changed it goes back to the pattern as you had modified it... all mutes etc...
Would be nice if it could rather go back to original settings of pattern set...
This would be a "play" mode... Rather than edit mode it seems to currently operate in.
You should still be able to change settings and mutes for performance... But the pattern set itself remembers the original saved state of mutes etc...
This is particularly important if the pattern set you want to go back to was a strong dynamic change (like a drop)... In performance you may unmute some tracks to build up - move to another pattern then later return to the dynamic change... As it is now you would go to the state the pattern was in after applying changes during performance :( thus not getting to the dynamic change the pattern was originally set to...

No, such a mode does not exist. What you have in mind is the behavior that is known from the Electribes, where something like a pattern set does not exist. The Electribes simply map pattern files to different buttons, and everytime you push such a button it just loads that pattern file from the storage. You can achieve the same by loading patterns from the storage.

A pattern set in G-Stomper is a self-containing file that includes everything, patterns, samples, song arrangement, etc., and everything is loaded into memory (rather than using the patterns from storage). The reason why it's all loaded into memory is simple... It's much faster than getting it from storage all the time. What you can do for now is to reload the pattern set, then everything gets back to original.

In order to keep the original pattern while changing its values would mean that when switching to particular pattern it must be copied to its own memory in advance. This is a rather memory and CPU intensive process, therefore it's not handled that way. However, I see the benefit of such a behavior and I'll see if there is a way to make it possible in some future release.
riche

Pattern Set... How about a reload set "button"

Postby riche » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:08 am

Ok... I understand now... Thanks for that very clear reply.
... Yes to get pattern set back to its original state I do reload it...
Perhaps this function could be programmed into the patten set interface...
One thing I do love about G-Stomper is its really clean interface... So perhaps a special button for this is not an option...
How about a double tap on the pattern name green box?
planet-h

Re: Pattern Set... How about a reload set "button"

Postby planet-h » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:07 am

riche wrote:Ok... I understand now... Thanks for that very clear reply.
... Yes to get pattern set back to its original state I do reload it...
Perhaps this function could be programmed into the patten set interface...
One thing I do love about G-Stomper is its really clean interface... So perhaps a special button for this is not an option...

Thanks for the kind words:).
The point is that there's no way to access one single pattern to be loaded from the complete pattern set file (I mean, there are ways, that's not suitable for different reasons).
A pattern set file is a big binary file.

If this will be included, then it'll be probably a setting or a switch on the pattern set view.
And if enabled, some caching must be done in real time as there's no pattern file to be accessed separately.
If there's a proper way (however it'll look like), then it'll be done;)
riche

Postby riche » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:52 am

In my second post... What I mean is a quick way to reload the entire pattern set back to its original state while in pattern set interface ... rather than have to go through the load pattern menu dialogue...
A workaround to the issue really...
Thanks for your consideration...
I aim to use your fantastic app for performance - while playing guitar... So the less menu navigation the better ;)
I could of course design pattern sets that I don't have to mess with while performing - but l like to have a strong spontaneous element to my performance ;)... So fiddle I will...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:19 am

riche wrote:In my second post... What I mean is a quick way to reload the entire pattern set back to its original state while in pattern set interface ... rather than have to go through the load pattern menu dialogue...
A workaround to the issue really...
Thanks for your consideration...
I aim to use your fantastic app for performance - while playing guitar... So the less menu navigation the better ;)
I could of course design pattern sets that I don't have to mess with while performing - but l like to have a strong spontaneous element to my performance ;)... So fiddle I will...

Ah OK. Got it;).
I'll definiely check all the options. Good point, indeed.
riche

Postby riche » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 am

Just a nudge ...

to reload pattern set as saved - with less menu navigation ... in pattern mode ...

planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 am

riche wrote:Just a nudge ...

to reload pattern set as saved - with less menu navigation ... in pattern mode ...

It is on the task list. But there are other tasks (that have been more often requested) in front of it.
+ it's unfortunately not as simple as it looks like, as there special cases.
However, it will be done, but I cannot give you an e.t.a. yet.

It's not decided yet what solution will be implemented, if it's a re-load, duplicating the original, or whatever. Once I found time to take a deeper look at the code, I'll post it here.
riche

Postby riche » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:28 pm

...Getting good at jumping around menus I am ...
but when it comes will be great ... thanks ... :)
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 am

Riche,
You do know you could just have several copies of the drop pattern? Click on DROP1, thoroughly mess it up by pressing mutes, etc. Then next time you want a drop, just click on a different one, DROP2, DROP3, etc. :-)

Return to “Feature Requests”