turn table effect ( only in the future)

Suggest and discuss new features here.
Cire86

turn table effect ( only in the future)

Postby Cire86 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Hey Andreas, a while back i read about plans for a new sequencer, i think it was in a beta discussion, and for this i have a request.what about a rewind function for the patterns, like djs can do it with lps this would give us great possibilities to have this an easier way instead of exporting and resampling and its more precise

Thanks in advance Eric
planet-h

Re: turn table effect ( only in the future)

Postby planet-h » Tue May 10, 2016 6:42 am

Thanks for your message, Cire
Good Idea, I'll make a note in the task list about that.
Do you have something in mind in what way you'd control such a rewind feature?

Btw.. there are actually two different things planned regarding the sequencer.
1. Some kind of a straight forward pattern arranger in G-Stomper Studio (in fact a different view to what already exists)
2. A new app, following a different workflow, more offline producer like (but that is far in the future)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue May 10, 2016 2:24 pm

Cire86 wrote:Hey Andreas, a while back i read about plans for a new sequencer, i think it was in a beta discussion, and for this i have a request.what about a rewind function for the patterns, like djs can do it with lps this would give us great possibilities to have this an easier way instead of exporting and resampling and its more precise

Thanks in advance Eric

Just to be sure what you really looking for...

You mean a way to play a pattern backwards with everything reversed?
If that is what you mean, then I must say that's technically impossible without re-sampling.

You must keep in mind that a sound gets triggered at its beginning by the sequencer and then fired, played, passed to a reverb for example.
Now imagine what would be required to play it reverse. The reverb would start with it's tail before the sample was triggered, which is not possible without having a time machine;).
Only re-sampling can do this job.
Maybe re-sampling on the fly, but without sampling the pattern as a loop, it is technically impossible.
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks for your reply
Yeah as i thought about it a bit deeper a came to the same fact.
Last edited by Cire86 on Tue May 10, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:49 pm

And btw with "The New App" you got my interrest again anything to say in witch way this goes?
Im sure you're cooking some cool stuff there
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed May 11, 2016 6:04 am

Cire86 wrote:And btw with "The New App" you got my interrest again anything to say in witch way this goes?
Im sure you're cooking some cool stuff there

"2. A new app, following a different workflow, more offline producer like (but that is far in the future)" says what I know about it yet.
If I know more, then you guys in the beta community will be the first who get involved (if you're up to).

Regarding the "turntable effect":
OK, guess I have the picture now.
What you're actually looking for is something the well known "glitch" vst can do.

To make such an effect possible, the "sampled" version of the pattern must be completely dynamic.
In other words it would only be in memory, and it would be updated in every moment of playback.
It probably wouldn't be a looped version of the pattern. More likely it would be a sampled version of the last 5 or 10 seconds of the playback (whatever this actually is).
Yeah, that would be indeed a stunning effect.
I'll definitely put a note in the tasklist. But i don't know yet, if it is technically possible or not, especially with the limited resources of a mobile device.. We'll see.
Thanks again for the suggestion.
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Yeah i think glitch effect is the right term for what i search. I dont know about the vst cause i dont have pc software i just have my tablet and phone for making music, but another android music app called Stagelight has such a glitch unit as an insert fx from there i know this feature and so it seems to be technically possible on mobile devices, you can try the demo if you want and see what i mean the fx is called glitch6. I google the vst and report back if its realy the same
Edit: yes this is what i meant
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu May 12, 2016 5:49 am

Cire86 wrote:Yeah i think glitch effect is the right term for what i search. I dont know about the vst cause i dont have pc software i just have my tablet and phone for making music, but another android music app called Stagelight has such a glitch unit as an insert fx from there i know this feature and so it seems to be technically possible on mobile devices, you can try the demo if you want and see what i mean the fx is called glitch6. I google the vst and report back if its realy the same
Edit: yes this is what i meant

Thanks a lot for your confirmation.
So we're talking about the same thing;)
I'll see if what I can do in the future. Glitch is a nifty thing, but quite heavy on the cpu and memory on a mobile.
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Ok the more i read about this, i think this would be a bit too heavy for now this resources could be used for usefuller things,and the new bouncing feature makes resampling and step reversing a bit easier
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu May 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Cire86 wrote:Ok the more i read about this, i think this would be a bit too heavy for now this resources could be used for usefuller things,and the new bouncing feature makes resampling and step reversing a bit easier

Absolutely, yes. exactly that came in my mind while I was testing the multi-track bouncer.

But still, I'm not sure yet if it would really be too resource demanding. I have some ideas in mind. Maybe it yould be enough too continuosly sample the last few seconds, I guess 4-5 seconds might be enough, which would be around 2mb of memory. That's not that much;). The concept is similar to a delay, so it might be a solution to build it as an effect.
However, we'll see.

Return to “Feature Requests”