Best Tablet

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
planet-h

Re: Best Tablet

Postby planet-h » Sat May 02, 2015 3:16 pm

None of the reviews available mention screen ratio so i therefore assume its 16:9 or 16:10 im sure if it was 4:3 they would have made a point of mentioning it

That makes sense, yes.

They also go on about High-res audio and noise cancelling technology and it being ready for the next gen sound technology and it being more advanced than apple sound, if its true it could be what us audiophiles have been waiting for especially in regard to latency, fingers crossed there.

It'll definitely be a good device for latency. You'll get at least down to 20ms when using OpenSL as Audio System in the G-Stomper settings. With a bit luck you'll get even shorter times. Generally most modern devices, running on 2ghz quad or higher, should now get around 20ms (on Lollipop), which is a big step forward compared to the 80-160ms which we had before;).

I did also tests at 10ms with the Xperia Z3 phone, unfortunately with too much crackles/drop outs to go live with it. But on a 64bit cpu, this should be possible. At the moment, the only devices running smooth at 10ms are the nexus 5, 6 and 9. But however, 20ms is pretty good, and it's short enough to do serious live recordings.

Regarding high-res audio: G-Stomper is already prepared, when the Z4 runs native at 64 or even 96khz, G-Stomper will do as well

I'm curious to see that z4 tablet in action soon. 10 inch screen is an excellent size in my opinion
EIPStudiosOhio

Postby EIPStudiosOhio » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 pm

Yeah the Nexus 9 is near 1.33:1 screen ratio, so it will be letterboxed.... But on the upside, it runs on pure Android OS, so latency issues should respond alot better than other devices that have extra software piled up on top of the core OS.

I am a out to pull the trigger on one myself, to move into some new things in my current work...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:50 pm

EIPStudiosOhio wrote:Yeah the Nexus 9 is near 1.33:1 screen ratio, so it will be letterboxed.... But on the upside, it runs on pure Android OS, so latency issues should respond alot better than other devices that have extra software piled up on top of the core OS.

I am a out to pull the trigger on one myself, to move into some new things in my current work...

Yeah, it'll be letterboxes. IMHO, the 4:3 ratio is the one and only downside of the Nexus 9, but for everything else than 16:9 apps, e.g. browsing the internet, the 4:3 is very nice. However, this is really nothing compared with the benefit of the device.

You'll be blown away by the performance of the 64bit cpu, it's just miles ahead of everything else. And G-Stomper runs with a latency of 10ms, which is way better then most other devices. To these 10ms comes a bit of post processing by android, but it's not much. On the N9, G-Stomper really feels like a hardware gear.
EIPStudiosOhio

Postby EIPStudiosOhio » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Yeah considering from going from a 5.5 inch Width on a 7 inch tab, to the Nexus 9, with approx 7.1 inch Width, that is still considerably larger workspace than the N7, or in my case my old Tab2 (the digitizer is failing, I may replace it and video-document the experience soon)

But from talking with a few people who have been using it for a while, I may go ahead and order one for myself soon.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Yes, the workspace definitely a good piece bigger than on the N7, I'm using both N7 and N9.
The biggest minus o the N7 is the buggy touch screen, at least on the 2013 model, that can make you crazy ;)
Apart of that it's also a cool machine, but it slightly comes to age now
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:39 pm

After this whole discussion i ordered my nexus 9 32gb today, in 2 days i hold it in my hand and i realy hope that it is as good as you discribe andreas. Just one question, does gstomper looks unnatural on a 4:3 screen? This is the only thing i am worriyng about
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Cire86 wrote:After this whole discussion i ordered my nexus 9 32gb today, in 2 days i hold it in my hand and i realy hope that it is as good as you discribe andreas. Just one question, does gstomper looks unnatural on a 4:3 screen? This is the only thing i am worriyng about

Congrats, Cire86!! Definitely a very good choice, you won't be disappointed.

Regarding the 4:3 screen ratio:
No worries, G-Stomper will be letter boxed at 16:9, the view's won't be squashed in any way.

Important note regarding Android 6 and performance:
If you want to get the maximum performance out of your Nexus 9, then I recommend NOT yet to update it to Android 6 (Marshmallow).
I did the update since I need it for the development, but regarding CPU performance and latency Android 5.1.1 is better.
On Android 5.1.1, G-Stomper Studio runs smooth at an internal latency of 5ms (OpenSL with LOW latency setting). On Android 6 it has dropouts, even at 10ms.
I'm sure Google will fix that soon, but til today they didn't.
I'll post it here of course as soon as the Android 6 performance closes up to Android 5.1.1.
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks for the tipp with the update, since the use of gstomper and caustic is the main reason for this device latency is a big deal for me so i'll definitly follow your advice.

But what means "letter boxed" dont know what this makes with the optic of the app
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:33 pm

Cire86 wrote:But what means "letter boxed" dont know what this makes with the optic of the app

Letter boxed means you have a black bar on top and bottom to avoid stretching of the views.
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:39 pm

So this means the view is smaller on this tablet,its a little bit bad but now i have ordered it and so i use it because the performance

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”