[SOLVED] Extreme latency

Submit any bugs here. Please check existing posts before submitting a new one.
Foxonart

[SOLVED] Extreme latency

Postby Foxonart » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:41 pm

On a new samsung s6 edge + running 5.1.1. I'm getting reported internal latency of 56ms but the actual latency is more like 800ms or more making the live recording useless. With the specs of the phone it seems like it should be running better. Using the sequencer works great just not the live portion.

Ive tried using opensl, ive tried adjusting the latency setting and the manual setting. I've reduced the sample quality and number of tracks to almost unusable levels. Nothing has worked so far. Suggestions?
planet-h

Re: Extreme latency

Postby planet-h » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:32 am

Welcome to the forum, Foxonart.

Foxonart wrote:On a new samsung s6 edge + running 5.1.1. I'm getting reported internal latency of 56ms but the actual latency is more like 800ms or more making the live recording useless. With the specs of the phone it seems like it should be running better. Using the sequencer works great just not the live portion.

Ive tried using opensl, ive tried adjusting the latency setting and the manual setting. I've reduced the sample quality and number of tracks to almost unusable levels. Nothing has worked so far. Suggestions?

What you notice as 800ms is the fact that live recording is silent with a latency higher than 40ms (for serious reasons).
Silent recording means that you don't hear the live audio output while recording is enabled.
Check out this doc chapter and you'll understand immediately.
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_LiveRecording.htm#_Toc428951478

First of all, do you get these reported 56ms with OpenSL or with AudioTrack?
And, are you using the latest G-Stomper version 4.4.1?

On the S6, there's no need to adsust any other settings than the "AudioSystem" (set to OpenSL) and the "Internal Latency" right below the AudioSystem (set to Low). Everything else should remain at the default settings.

Can you please send me a mail out of your G-Stomper app (press Help, then contact). In that mail (in the header) I get your exact app version and most relevant performance settings. With these info I can help you to find the best setup.

With version 4.4.1 you'll definitely come down to a lower latency than 40ms.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:49 am

I've just checked the statistic data.
G-Stomper Studio 4.4.1 on the Galaxy S6 (Android 5.1.1) runs without problems at 30ms (medium setting) and also 15ms (low setting) with OpenSL.

As mentioned above, sending me a message out of the app will clear up what's wrong in your setup (help / contact).
Foxonart

Postby Foxonart » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Seems having a bluetooth connection was causing it. Once i disconnected and restarted we are looking at 10ms with opensl. I should have tried that first...sorry about that. A slight adjustment and live recording is good now.

Just like a typical user to jump the gun on the bug report.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:28 am

No problem:). I'm glad you got it down to 10ms now.
Thanks for reporting back

Return to “Bug Reports”