Request

Suggest and discuss new features here.
Automatischa

Request

Postby Automatischa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:50 am

Hello,

i need the following features in G-Stomper Studio.

*UPDATE*

1. VA Beast Wavetable Synthesis

As already mentioned by the developer, this feature will be implemented. I especially need Orchestral Patches for VA Beast.

2. 10 ms Latency

The Latency provided by OpenSL is not bad, but to reach the goal, another 10 ms down is necessary for professional usage.

3. Install Content Packs to SD Card

Smartphones and Tablets nowadays don't have alot of internal memory, so this feature would be welcomed.

4. Triplet Notes

To complete the step editing and sampler functionality, triplet notes would be nice.

Thanks!
Last edited by Automatischa on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
planet-h

Re: Request

Postby planet-h » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:38 pm

Welcome to the forum, Automatischa.

Automatischa wrote:1. VA Beast Wavetable Synthesis

This is planned and will come later on this year.

Automatischa wrote:2. Export all patterns

What app are using? G-Stomper Studio? G-Stomper Rhythm? G-Stomper VA-Beast standalone?
And what do you mean with "export all patterns"? Please define "all" (all in storage, all loaded, all whatever?)
With G-Stomper Studio, you can actually export everything you like in every way you like.

Automatischa wrote:3. More patterns A-Z

More patterns? How you mean that?
The main purpose of G-Stomper is to create Music (and so patterns). You can create as much patterns as you like, as long as your storage can keep them.
Or you mean me to create patterns for you? For which app? And in which context?

Automatischa wrote:4. Zero Latency and connection to USB Interfaces

Unfortunately, "Zero" Latency is something that does not exist, nowhere, on no platform, not in the past and not in the future.
The latency for USB Interfaces will come down as soon as Google writes an efficient driver for USB audio interfaces, which is only possible when they base the Android OS on a newer Linux Kernel (which even the upcoming Android M is not).
Until that happens, the only way to get an acceptable latency is to use the headphone jack.

Automatischa wrote:5. SD Card access for Sound Content

You have already, in G-Stomper Studio. In the Sample loading dialog, just press the two dots on top ".." that navigates to the parent directory. You can load samples from wherever you like, sd storage, internal storage, mounted harddisks, whatever you're up to.
(The free G-Stomper Rhythm does not allow the use of own content)

Automatischa wrote:6. More file formats for Export

What formats have you in mind?
Please keep in mind that G-Stomper Studio produces high quality audio exports, which can only fit in high quality file formats like .wav for example.
EIPStudiosOhio

Postby EIPStudiosOhio » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:09 am

sounds like he "needs" to get the full studio version, and most of these things will get fulfilled... 8-)
Automatischa

Postby Automatischa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 am

Hi,

i found out how to export patterns with the edit button at the pattern screen. I own G-Stomper Studio with pretty much everything around it. With more patterns i meant making the song longer time wise, if you could export all patterns. i know that there is no zero latency, but 10 ms is a must for every professional DAW just like Asio4All. Thanks, i didn't know that SD Cards work, i'll have to check it out. My idea for file formats would be mp3 and / or m4a.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks for the further explanation.
You probably mean the "Pattern Set" screen, right? And I guess you chained Patterns together in use of the "edit" button, right?

Regarding the Pattern Set and the amount of Patterns, I strongly recommend to take a look at following chapters in the docs:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSetSongArranger.htm#_Toc423435958

You can actually have up to 64 concurrent Patterns within a set, which you can chain up to a song of a max length of 999 Pattern changes.
I'd say that this would result in a Song which long enough, isn't it?

Regarding song creation, check the following chapters in the Docs:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSetSongArranger.htm#_Toc423435970

Once you've created a song, you can export it in full length (this is what you call "all patterns"). Here you find how to do it:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_AudioExportAndBouncing.htm#_Toc423435872

Overall, the docs give you explanations of every single feature in G-Stomper, mostly with a simple walkthrough. You can watch them online or download them as printable PDF. You'll find the complete docs at:
http://www.planet-h.com/documentation/
Without looking at the docs (at all), you'll probably miss more than the half of the features. Trust me, it's worth it.

My idea for file formats would be mp3 and / or m4a.

Thanks for clearing this up. I'll keep that in mind and see what I can do.
Automatischa

Postby Automatischa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:21 am

Hi,

first of all, thanks for the fast reply. Yes, i chained patterns on the pattern set screen, it took me a while to find it. Thanks for the docs, coudn't find what i needed at the first sight, but now i do. Thanks for keeping my idea about file formats in mind, but way more important would be some way on how to lower the latency to 10ms, this would be very very important. Thanks for G-Stomper, the best mobile DAW. I won't switch to some other DAW on Android and can't wait for new features like VA Beasts Wavetable Synthesis!

Christof Baumgartner (Automatischa)

: -)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:45 am

You're welcome, Christof :)

Automatischa wrote:Thanks for keeping my idea about file formats in mind, but way more important would be some way on how to lower the latency to 10ms, this would be very very important.

Sorry to say, but I did already all I can do for the lowest possible latency on Android.
On the main screen, press "setup", then select the "AUD" tab and choose "OpenSL" for the AudioSystem Setting.
With the OpenSL system, you'll get way lower latency times than with the default AudioTrack system.

On modern devices like Sony Xperia or Samsung S4/S5 for example you'll get the G-Stomper latency down to 20ms (on Android 5+). A Google Nexus 9 Tablet runs very smooth on a latency of 10ms in G-Stomper. So what you need is a google nexus 9, there's no other device which comes either close regarding latencies and also regarding performance. Any other tablet, and I mean any, is just slow (and most of the time more expensive) than then Nexus 9.

In addition to the G-Stomper Latency there is a "shadow" latency (or system latency), which is generated by the Android internals (and out of my control).
The lowest shadow latency you achieve on nexus devices, the nexus 9 has around 20ms (which results in a total latency of 30ms), the samsung s5 has around 35-40ms (which results in a total latency of 55-60ms).

All the above numbers are valid when you use the headphone jack (built in speaker might be slightly different). Also completely different will be USB audio interfaces. As pointed before, it's Googles job to write an efficient USB audio driver. Once this is done it'll also be possible for external audio interfaces to have a lower latency.

What I don't recommend is the nexus 6 phone, it has a very poor performance from various points of view (audio, hardware accellerated graphics, etc.). When you scan the net, you'll find a lot of app which don't even work on the nexus 6. I had to buy one to get the hardware accelerated graphics (driver bug) fixed in G-Stomper, but honestly, I would never buy one as my main device.

Automatischa wrote: Thanks for G-Stomper, the best mobile DAW. I won't switch to some other DAW on Android and can't wait for new features like VA Beasts Wavetable Synthesis!

Thanks a lot.
Can't await it too;). Wavetable synthesis will open up the synth for a huge range of sound variations.
It will become real, and it comes much closer now, since round-trip MIDI is finally done. There are still other features in front of it, but not that many anymore.
mojo

Postby mojo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Extream software have written their own usb audio driver for audio evolution mobile and there are plenty of sound card which work with this app, even mine but didn't test it coz you have to pay to use it so i can't tell if you have better audio latency and i don't care i only use my sound card with my mpc and reason (i don't even try yet my mpk mini with g stomper !!!).

I have some multi sampled instruments but they are in refill format, will I be able to use it with the upcoming wavetable synthesis synth ???
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:04 am

Yes, I know about extream and their own usb audio driver. Unfortunately not every dev has the capacity spend such a long time just to write an own audio driver, these guys have put a lot of effort and time in that development, which I simply can't as a single person company.

I have some multi sampled instruments but they are in refill format, will I be able to use it with the upcoming wavetable synthesis synth ???

If I can figure out how to load the refill format, yes. The first format, which will be supported, will be sf2. But first of all the Wavetable synthesis and the ability to load multi sampled instruments has to be implemented, which will definitely take until the end of the year (without guarantee).

There's one more big update in front of it, which will be ready in around 2 months.
EIPStudiosOhio

Postby EIPStudiosOhio » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:20 pm

In regards to multi-sampled instruments for a sample-based synth..... If you build it, I WILL fill it. I have a TON of material that will fit very nicely in GSS, and will certainly put it into a new level of awesomeness, guaranteed. 8-)

Return to “Feature Requests”