Best Tablet

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
whiteturbo

Best Tablet

Postby whiteturbo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Hiya,
I am in the market to get a new tablet to replace my 2011 transformer so any suggestions to get the best performance from G-Stomper i.e. least lag,best midi compatability, etc etc. I'm not sure what my priorities should be speed, ram, size, i know the fruit thing is supposed to be better for audio but i just cant go against my Android loyalties, anyway G-Stomper doesn't come in fruit flavour. Please Help me or i know i will buy something i will regret.
Thanks
Ray
planet-h

Re: Best Tablet

Postby planet-h » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum Rey

I'd recommend the Google Nexus 9 tablet. It comes with a 64bit cpu and so with an outstanding performance. Furthermore it has the best out of the box audio latency.
It's also not bloated with a totally overkill screen resolution, 2048x1536 is a perfect value in my opinion, everything above does just eat memory and cpu. I'm using the nexus 9 by myself, and for me it's without any doubt the best tablet I had ever in my hands.
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_nexus_9-5823.php

If an additional SD card is a must have for you, more than everything else, then I'd go for a Samsung Tablet, but only the highest price sector, the galaxy note (tablet) series for example. As far as I know, they'll release (or have already) a 64bit tablet soon. But be prepared to pay twice as much as for a nexus 9 tablet.

Bottom line: 64bit cpu is definitely what you should look at, it makes the most difference in performance at the moment.
TomVal

Postby TomVal » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:00 pm

It's hard to obtain this tablet in our county :(
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:59 am

TomVal wrote:It's hard to obtain this tablet in our county :(

Sorry to hear that, TomVal.
It's kinda strange that Google does not push their reference models to all countries with the same effort.
Nexus devices are my personal favorites for many reasons, especially because you get twice as much power for almost half the price of other devices. The new Nexus 6 phablet is actually the first device of the nexus line which is as expensive as other manufacturers devices.

But still, the performance results are outstanding. The nexus 9 as well as the nexus 6 run both (with the OpenSL audio System selected) with an audio latency of 10ms. The only manufacturer who can catch up with that is Samsung with their Pro Audio API (which will be integrated in G-Stomper soon), but usually the devices with enough power to get the same latency times are more expensive than a comparable nexus, even compared with the nexus 6.

And in addition (of course that's everyone's personal taste) all nexus devices come with stock android, which I find just brilliant in its simplicity compared to the customized builds which are mostly bloated with unwanted stuff.
TomVal

Postby TomVal » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:59 am

Well, nothing unusual about Google. We still don't have hardware section of Play Store available, even paid contents of Newsstand isn't available yet. Many Google devices are available only by gray import, i.e. unofficial supplies done by other retailers.
whiteturbo

Postby whiteturbo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks For the replies: Still not got a new tablet, the nexus 9 seems OK but only 32gb and no sdhc and seems there are questions about its build quality, Samsung, well i have a Note 1 excellent phone after i got a custom rom but hated the touch wiz stuff anyway the 64 bit tablets are not available yet. So how about the Sony Xperia Z4, its 64 bit,got sd card slot and they claim enhanced audio capabilities, whatever that may mean. Its expensive(£499) but great build quality(apparently) and its not available yet but imminent whatever that means.To be honest it seems like one of those periods when tablets are in a cycle of evolution and although its against my nature to be patent, i think it would be wise to wait and see how the market develops.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri May 01, 2015 8:39 am

Agree with you regarding the build quality. There are definitely better built tablets than the nexus, especially than the nexus 7 (2013), which was a disaster. Compared to the nexus 7, the nexus 9 is built much better, and it works perfectly without any annoying hardware bugs.
The xperia z4 will be definitely a great device, the cpu looks very promising, but it's not a tablet;), and when it comes to audio, it won't be up there with the nexus 9. The point is that Google builds Android on top of the nexus devices, which means the hardware and software are in perfect harmony, without any customized launcher or other stuff which do only slow down the device. Good on the Z4 is that it comes with 1920x1080 px screen, and not with the totally overkill 2560x1440. Too high screen resolutions are probably the worst thing for performance.

The only two downs of the nexus 9 are the 4:3 screen proportion (I have no idea which designer decided that :p) and the fact that you cannot use an additional sd card. Actually the sd card issue is not that much a problem, since you can just use a regular memory stick on the usb plug to store stuff. On the other hand, when do you need more than 32 gigs on the go? Imho that's a lot of stuff to be stored, but I might be wrong ;)
whiteturbo

Postby whiteturbo » Fri May 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi,
I dont mean the Experior z4 phone but the actual z4 tablet which is released in June, Why do sony give their tablets the same name as their mobile phones confusing or what!
anywayfull specs below:-

Android 5.0 Lollipop
10.1in IPS Triluminos screen, 2560x1600, 300ppi, 500cd/m2
Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor, 64-bit
3GB RAM
32GB internal storage, microSD card slot (up to 128GB)
8.1Mp rear camera with Exmor RS
5.1Mp wide angle front camera
MHL 3.0
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n/ac
NFC
Bluetooth 4.1
Nano-SIM (LTE model)
6000 mAh battery
254 x 167 x 6.1 mm
392g (Wi-Fi), 396g (LTE)
Black, white

you wont like it because its got a 2K 10.1 inch display although the 3 gig of ram might help pushing all those pixels about and apparently its stock android lollipop but with sony's own launcher which could be swapped out.This is starting to look like an ad for sony so i will bow out now.
You are probably right though and i should stop flaffing about and just get the nexus 9 and to be honest i never thought about a memory stick.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri May 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Oh, didn't know that they come out with a 10 inch tablet. That looks pretty good as far as I see. Also the adreno 430 gpu should be able to handle the high resolution. Do you know if it's 4:3 or 16:9 screen ratio? Looks very promising
whiteturbo

Postby whiteturbo » Sat May 02, 2015 11:15 am

None of the reviews available mention screen ratio so i therefore assume its 16:9 or 16:10 im sure if it was 4:3 they would have made a point of mentioning it.They also go on about High-res audio and noise cancelling technology and it being ready for the next gen sound technology and it being more advanced than apple sound, if its true it could be what us audiophiles have been waiting for especially in regard to latency, fingers crossed there.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”