How to transfer your G-Stomper files to new device

Share your favorite G-Stomper tips and tricks and learn from other users.
planet-h

How to transfer your G-Stomper files to new device

Postby planet-h » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:43 am

All G-Stomper files are normally located a dedicated folder structure named 'gstomper' on your internal sd storage.
So all you have to do is to copy that folder to your new device.

The fastest way is to use a PC to transfer the files:

1. Connect your old device to a PC using an USB cable.
2. Make sure that the connection mode is set to 'transfer media files' or similar, so that you can access the internal storage from the PC.
3. Copy the complete folder structure 'gstomper' to your PC using the windows explorer (on the PC).
4. Once done, disconnect your old device.
5. Then on your new device, go to the play store and install G-Stomper .
(Here is a walk-through how to install your paid app on a new device without getting charged again)
6. Start G-Stomper on your new device (this will create its new (empty) folder structure 'gstomper' on the right location), then close G-Stomper again.
7. Connect your new device to a PC using an USB cable.
8. Make sure that the connection mode is set to 'transfer media files' or similar, so that you can access the internal storage from the PC.
9. Now copy your previously copied 'gstomper' folder (the one from the old device) from your PC to your new device and overwrite the empty 'gstomper' folder structure which was created by G-Stomper.

Optional:
If you have your own sample library on your old device (samples that are NOT from G-Stomper sample packs), stored outside the 'gstomper' folder structure, then just repeat the walk-through above for your sample library.

If you don't have a PC for the transfer, you can of course also go other ways, e.g. using ES File Explorer and a Dropbox for the transfer.
In that case you first have to copy the 'gstomper' folder structure from your old device to the dropbox, and then copy it from the dropbox to your new device.
But be warned, that process might take very long as the G-Stomper files can get huge.
W_a-o_nderer

Re: How to transfer your G-Stomper files to new device

Postby W_a-o_nderer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:27 am

I recently installed an Android emulator called BlueStacks so that I could use G-Stomper on my PC. I copied some files that are on my phone to my PC. How then can I access the G-Stomper folder on my PC in order to transfer the files and continue working on them on this emulated PC version?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:16 am

W_a-o_nderer wrote:I recently installed an Android emulator called BlueStacks so that I could use G-Stomper on my PC. I copied some files that are on my phone to my PC. How then can I access the G-Stomper folder on my PC in order to transfer the files and continue working on them on this emulated PC version?

As I understand you right, you just copied the files to your PC, but not imported them to Bluestacks yet, correct?
You must understand that Bluestacks is an emulated OS with its own emulated file system. It cannot access files on your regular PC file system without previously importing them to its own storage.

Here is the walk-through from the Bluestacks site:
https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us ... ice-versa-

As an alternative, you can also use DropBox or Google Drive to transfer data from one Android device to another one, independent of the fact if the Android device is emulated or real hardware.

Note: As far as I know, Bluestacks is based on Android 7.1.2, which means the path of your gstomper folder within the Bluestacks Android storage is /sdcard/gstomper.
W_a-o_nderer

Postby W_a-o_nderer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Yes, I was trying to find the internal storage on Bluestacks in order to transfer sound(s) from my phone to my PC, and then from my PC to Bluestacks. I couldn't find the internal storage, so I just tried opening Bluestacks and dragged and dropped a sound I transferred to my PC, right onto the Bluestacks app. Then, a little importing pop-up notification came up and a few seconds later it said that the sound was successfully imported. Great, the sound is imported, I still don't know how to locate that specific file.
W_a-o_nderer

Postby W_a-o_nderer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Scratch my reply about not being able to find imported files, I found out how to do it. Alright, so it says I can open this sound file (I named it DARK TRAP BEAT.wav) with G-Stomper Producer (Bluestacks). But when I tried opening it with G-Stomper Producer, it said "DARK TRAP BEAT.wav is not a supported G-Stomper Producer file and therefore cannot be loaded". This is confusing to me because whenever I would be working with sound files on my phone, I made sure to note the importance of .wav files, and whenever I would export a sound file, it would be exported into a .wav file. Do I need to convert it into a different file type?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:36 am

W_a-o_nderer wrote:Scratch my reply about not being able to find imported files, I found out how to do it. Alright, so it says I can open this sound file (I named it DARK TRAP BEAT.wav) with G-Stomper Producer (Bluestacks). But when I tried opening it with G-Stomper Producer, it said "DARK TRAP BEAT.wav is not a supported G-Stomper Producer file and therefore cannot be loaded". This is confusing to me because whenever I would be working with sound files on my phone, I made sure to note the importance of .wav files, and whenever I would export a sound file, it would be exported into a .wav file. Do I need to convert it into a different file type?

Yes, it says ---"DARK TRAP BEAT.wav is not a supported G-Stomper Producer file---, which is exactly true, as a .wav file is an audio file, not a G-Stomper Producer file.
Don't forget that the "Main Menu / IMP / G-Stomper File From Shared Storage" function is NOT for samples. This is ONLY for G-Stomper files like projects, patterns, scenes, pattern sets, and so on,

Samples must be loaded using... :
Track Menu (in the sidebar) / LOAD / Usersample (short click for internal file selector, or long press to use the system files picker)

Internal File Browswer walk-through:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... /part7.htm

System Files Picker walk-through:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part10.htm

Return to “Tips and Tricks”