G-Stomper Studio / VA-Beast MIDI connectivity

Share your favorite G-Stomper tips and tricks and learn from other users.
planet-h

Re: G-Stomper Studio / VA-Beast MIDI connectivity

Postby planet-h » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:29 am

Hehe, yeah it will come for sure.

Sampler/Drum Machine midi control (midi in) will definitely come with the next release.
Midi out release date depends on its stability, we'll see;)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 am

Full round-trip MIDI (IN/OUT) was integrated in v.4.3

Complete MIDI docs at:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm
brause

Postby brause » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi,

actually I am checking my midi-ports, using Nexus7 and the micro USB B cable attached to windows and cubase. I do not see any Midi Signal coming in. Does this only work with OTG USB Adapter and Nexus7 as midi-host? I thought in cubase I would receive Midi signals on the normal Micro USB cable too?
So I do have to buy that OTG Adapter to see Cubase receiving Midi Signals, correct? I never worked on an android DAW, I just wanna get sure, need to buy 3 Adapters now, if you say "yes" *smile*

kind regards
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:38 pm

brause wrote:actually I am checking my midi-ports, using Nexus7 and the micro USB B cable attached to windows and cubase. I do not see any Midi Signal coming in.

That's not surprising, as both, the Android device AND the Windows PC act as USB host.
And you cannot connect two USB hosts together.

brause wrote:Does this only work with OTG USB Adapter and Nexus7 as midi-host? I thought in cubase I would receive Midi signals on the normal Micro USB cable too?

To establish a connection without using a MIDI interface, one of the devices must act as USB peripheral. That is the only magic.
In your case the Android should be the USB peripheral..
The walk-through on how doing that is in the docs at:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi/part15.htm
As soon as you did that, the Android device will show as a MIDI port in Cubase on your Windows PC

brause wrote:So I do have to buy that OTG Adapter to see Cubase receiving Midi Signals, correct? I never worked on an android DAW, I just wanna get sure, need to buy 3 Adapters now, if you say "yes" *smile*

Here are your choices:
As explained above, let your Android device act as USB peripheral and connect it to the USB host on windows with a simple micro USB to USB A data cable.
Just keep in mind that this will require at least Android 6.0.
You can use a MIDI interface on both sides, one for the Android device, and one on the PC, and then hook them together using MIDI DIN cables.
But that would require at least two USB MIDI interfaces (simple ones cost around 30$).
On the Windows side you can use any USB MIDI interface you want, on Android you should use an USB class-compliant one.
You'll find all information about MIDI interfaces and adapter cables at our MIDI info page at:
https://www.planet-h.com/documentation/midi/

What way you prefer is up to you.

And be sure to check out the MIDI docs at:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.html
These are definitely worth a closer look.
brause

Postby brause » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:28 pm

forgot to post: I own Microbrute but I cant see any Signals on my DAW in windows either (old Cubase 2 LE & new Elements 9.5). It's me not the system, who fails at the moment. Yes I read everything. The only Signal arives at my handy when playing on cubase but the other way to see signals in cubase, this is for me a real (beginners...) problem...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:46 pm

brause wrote:forgot to post: I own Microbrute but I cant see any Signals on my DAW in windows either (old Cubase 2 LE & new Elements 9.5). It's me not the system, who fails at the moment. Yes I read everything. The only Signal arives at my handy when playing on cubase but the other way to see signals in cubase, this is for me a real (beginners...) problem...

Even though I don't understand what the Microbrute has to do with this....
But as far as I understand, when you say "handy" you mean your "android device", correct?
If so, then you're saying MIDI IN in G-Stomper works, while MIDI OUT does not, is this correct?
If this is the case, then you must just activate MIDI OUT in the G-Stomper MIDI Settings.

In order to activate MIDI OUT in G-Stomper you must set an IN and OUT port in the MIDI channel mapping.
In most cases, the IN and OUT ports should both be set to "1".
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi/part48.htm

In case if that does not answer your question... can you please explain what exactly you have hooked together (android, pc/cubase, microbrute, anything else), and how exactly you made the hookup (maybe a photo or a drawing might help).
Then explain what you want to achieve, e.g. which button you press on what device, and what do you expect to happen when you're pressing that button.
brause

Postby brause » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Hi,

you nailed it: the android device MIDI out was inactive. Thank you.

Could I route audio from android device through USB to cubase with that connection?

EDIT: maybe I have to change the connection type of my android device, instead of "MIDI" there are 3 other options to choose: "Dateiübertragung, USB-Tethering, PTP". I ask, because we have two ways of audio delivery: audio jack and USB, and USB might be of higher quality than using audio jack. But I do not know how to deliver audio routed through USB. I'd like to have the self created sound from android device recorded on cubase :)

I am searching for a cheep hardware solution: I would like to use microbrute as midi-keypad that controls my android device and then the android device is routed for recording to cubase in windows, that is my idea.
I found not a similar solution on your videos, so thats the reason I ask, maybe you have an idea :)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:39 am

brause wrote:you nailed it: the android device MIDI out was inactive. Thank you.

Excellent, I'm glad you got it to work.

brause wrote:Could I route audio from android device through USB to cubase with that connection?

No, audio cannot be routed through USB to cubase. That's technically impossible.

brause wrote:EDIT: maybe I have to change the connection type of my android device, instead of "MIDI" there are 3 other options to choose: "Dateiübertragung, USB-Tethering, PTP".

If you want to have a simple USB connection to your PC without any MIDI DIN interfaces in between, then your Android device MUST act as USB peripheral, which means the USB connection type MUST be set to MIDI.. otherwise this won't work.

brause wrote:I ask, because we have two ways of audio delivery: audio jack and USB, and USB might be of higher quality than using audio jack.

How do you come to that opinion? As it's anyway technically impossible to transfer an audio stream from your Android device over plain USB to Cubase, there is no measurable quality for that connection type. Ergo, when you want use your Android as MIDI peripheral (which makes the use of an external USB audio interface impossible), the audio jack is your one and only option.

brause wrote:But I do not know how to deliver audio routed through USB. I'd like to have the self created sound from android device recorded on cubase :)

You can't, you simply can't. The only way to transfer audio to Cubase is either the analog way (using the headphone jack), or the digital way over an external audio interface (using an external audio interface with a digital output).
But with the digital way, you won't be able to use the simple USB MIDI connection at the same time. When using an external audio interface, you'll also require a MIDI interface on both sides (Android and PC).
+ In that case you'll also require an audio interface on the PC with a digital input.

brause wrote:I am searching for a cheep hardware solution: I would like to use microbrute as midi-keypad that controls my android device and then the android device is routed for recording to cubase in windows, that is my idea.
I found not a similar solution on your videos, so thats the reason I ask, maybe you have an idea :)

If you want the MIDI keypad to control your Android device, and at the same time you want the Android device being hooked up over MIDI to your PC,then you clearly need USB MIDI interfaces on both sides to do the MIDI cabling.
The cheapest audio routing is through the headphone jack of your Android device and then to the audio in of your PC. If the PC does not have an audio in, then you need an external USB audio interface for the PC.
brause

Postby brause » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi,

thank you for your information. Now counting, .... .-) When max. using 3 android interfaces plus a microbrute & a windows cubase, every device needs his own separate In and Out Channel, plus his own DIN USB Adapter, so I need at max. a 10 channel Midi Interface. Maybe I would try to set a limit of 8 channels, buying something like this:

https://www.thomann.de/de/esi_m4u_ex.htm

Thank you for your kind patient help, I think I got now everything I need to combine mobiles and so on. BTW. this was real cool that you told me, I need to activate the one OUT channel in my android device. I really got stuck!!!

BIG thx &
kind regards
oli
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:17 pm

brause wrote:thank you for your information. Now counting, .... .-) When max. using 3 android interfaces plus a microbrute & a windows cubase, every device needs his own separate In and Out Channel, plus his own DIN USB Adapter, so I need at max. a 10 channel Midi Interface. Maybe I would try to set a limit of 8 channels, buying something like this:

https://www.thomann.de/de/esi_m4u_ex.htm

Thank you for your kind patient help, I think I got now everything I need to combine mobiles and so on. BTW. this was real cool that you told me, I need to activate the one OUT channel in my android device. I really got stuck!!!

Thanks a lot for the success report:). I'm glad you got the things going.
Excellent choice of MIDI interface btw. This ESI interface would also work well on Android, as it's USB class-compliant.
ESI in general creates quality hardware.

As I understand, the M4U eX is meant for the PC right?

What interface do you plan to use on the Android device? The Midimate eX?
https://www.esi-audio.com/products/midimateex/

Return to “Tips and Tricks”