How do I record a pattern to play after n-th bar?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
fiso64

How do I record a pattern to play after n-th bar?

Postby fiso64 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:18 am

Say I have a pattern A with 4 bars. I want to play pattern B after A's 3rd bar. This possible to do live by double clicking on B during the 3rd bar. However, when I try to record it, it always saves as if I play B after A's 1st bar only. Is it possible to make it play after the 3rd bar instead?
planet-h

Re: How do I record a pattern to play after n-th bar?

Postby planet-h » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, fiso64
And thanks for your message.

fiso64 wrote:Say I have a pattern A with 4 bars. I want to play pattern B after A's 3rd bar. This possible to do live by double clicking on B during the 3rd bar. However, when I try to record it, it always saves as if I play B after A's 1st bar only. Is it possible to make it play after the 3rd bar instead?

The pattern change only knows whether it must execute the change at the end of the current bar or at the end of the entire pattern, but not at which specific bar.
Unfortunately this is a limitation of the feature, and I must admit that this is not clearly mentioned in the docs.

When you do the multi-click advanced pattern changes, then it means that it switches to the desired pattern at the end of the running bar.
In song mode, when the pattern runs from it's beginning, this means it always switches at the end of the 1st bar.
The only exception is if you do multiple consecutive switches between multi bar patterns using the "3-click" variant.

https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part18.htm

Sorry for not having a better answer.
fiso64

Postby fiso64 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:56 pm

planet-h wrote:Welcome to the forum, fiso64
And thanks for your message.

fiso64 wrote:Say I have a pattern A with 4 bars. I want to play pattern B after A's 3rd bar. This possible to do live by double clicking on B during the 3rd bar. However, when I try to record it, it always saves as if I play B after A's 1st bar only. Is it possible to make it play after the 3rd bar instead?

The pattern change only knows whether it must execute the change at the end of the current bar or at the end of the entire pattern, but not at which specific bar.
Unfortunately this is a limitation of the feature, and I must admit that this is not clearly mentioned in the docs.

When you do the multi-click advanced pattern changes, then it means that it switches to the desired pattern at the end of the running bar.
In song mode, when the pattern runs from it's beginning, this means it always switches at the end of the 1st bar.
The only exception is if you do multiple consecutive switches between multi bar patterns using the "3-click" variant.

https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part18.htm

Sorry for not having a better answer.

Alright, thanks. I hope we'll see this implemented in the future
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:54 am

fiso64 wrote:Alright, thanks. I hope we'll see this implemented in the future

Unfortunately it's not possible to properly solve this problem for the following reasons:

• A pattern change does not know anything about the patterns, means it does not know how long the previous pattern is nor does it know how long the upcoming pattern is. It only knows the next slot to play + the information whether to wait for the end of the pattern or the end of the next bar.
  • Even if you know what your pattern lengths are at the time when you first arrange them, you could still later on change the pattern length to 2 after a pattern change was be specified for the 3rd bar.
  • Patterns are designed to be self-containing and independent from the song arrangement or from pattern changes.
For sure there would be hacks to get around it somehow, but none of them would properly solve the entire problem.
That's why it wasn't implemented in the past.
However, I would not say never.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”