Audio system and sound quality

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Jherment
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm

Audio system and sound quality

Postby Jherment » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:06 pm

Hi, everyone !

I have some issues tryng to optimise the audio settings : if i set audio system on normal audiotrack I have a good sound but quite and important latency unless i set the sample rate on minimum value. If i use audiotrack N provided by android 7, the latency is better but sound volume is like half lower and sound quality seems poorer. Why such a diference between those audio systems ?

My tablet is a samsung galaxy s2 which has 3gb or rab and 1 processor quad 1, 9ghz an1 quand 1,3ghz. An other thing I dont understand is why g stomper when it detects my device specs says only mention the 1.3ghz processor ? I wonder if I use all my power possibilities.

Id like to dedicate my tablet to the use of g stomper but i didnt sucess to make it work well. Maybe sould i buy an othe device. In this case what would you advise me ?

Thaks everyone for reading and answering
User avatar
planet-h
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: Audio system and sound quality

Postby planet-h » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:45 pm

Welcome to the forum, jherment
and thanks for your message

Jherment wrote:I have some issues tryng to optimise the audio settings : if i set audio system on normal audiotrack I have a good sound but quite and important latency unless i set the sample rate on minimum value.

As stated in the docs, AudioTrack is the AudioSystem that demands the lowest CPU power, but therefore has the highest latency.

Jherment wrote:If i use audiotrack N provided by android 7, the latency is better but sound volume is like half lower and sound quality seems poorer. Why such a diference between those audio systems ?

It's different drivers. But in the case of AudioTrack N, it's basically the same as AudioTrack, but with a different audio callback and an entirely different audio path in the background.
Why it has lower volume? Only Samsung or maybe Google knows.

Jherment wrote:My tablet is a samsung galaxy s2 which has 3gb or rab and 1 processor quad 1, 9ghz an1 quand 1,3ghz. An other thing I dont understand is why g stomper when it detects my device specs says only mention the 1.3ghz processor ? I wonder if I use all my power possibilities.

It's reporting the currently active CPU, which is obviously the quad 1.3ghz.
Note that at no time both CPUs, the 1.9ghz and the 1.3ghz are active at the same time. Your device is not a true octa core, it's a dual quad core, where only one of the quad core CPUs can be active at a time. Depending on the current device temperature, the battery level, the general system load, and many other factors (only Samsung knows), the one or the other CPU becomes active.

Jherment wrote:Id like to dedicate my tablet to the use of g stomper but i didnt sucess to make it work well. Maybe sould i buy an othe device. In this case what would you advise me ?

What Android version is your device running? Android 7.0?
Generally that should be enough.
Have you tried to use the OpenSL audio system instead?

However, to get the most out of Android Audio, means high quality audio and lowest possible latency, a Pixel 4A 5G or a Pixel 5 device are the best choice. I know these are no tablets, but these perform better than every tablet on this planet, as both are running Android 11 and will be updated to Android 12 at the end of this year.
With these devices you can even use external USB C audio interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlet at a super low latency.

But I'd definitely give OpenSL a go first.

All about the different AudioSystems here:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... rding.html

All about optimizing the settings for best performance here:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... mance.html

Hope that helps

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests