Changing number of steps for different bars

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Lord_Magic

Changing number of steps for different bars

Postby Lord_Magic » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Hello there!

I was wondering if it's possible to change the number of steps for different bars?

For example, what if I want the first bar to have 16 steps, but the second bar to have only the first 4?

I'm asking this because I am creating a four chord progression where every note's length is 5. So the first chord extends till 5th step, second chord extends till 10th step, third chord extends till 15th step, and I start the fourth (and final) chord from the 16th step, BUT it needs 4 more steps to finish. So I add another bar. But in this method, the empty steps of the second bar play. I just want my chord progression to play in a loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for the awesome software by the way :)
planet-h

Re: Changing number of steps for different bars

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Thanks for your message, Lord_Magic

Lord_Magic wrote:I was wondering if it's possible to change the number of steps for different bars?

Unfortunately this is not possible in the current concept of the G-Stomper apps.

Lord_Magic wrote:For example, what if I want the first bar to have 16 steps, but the second bar to have only the first 4?

I'm asking this because I am creating a four chord progression where every note's length is 5. So the first chord extends till 5th step, second chord extends till 10th step, third chord extends till 15th step, and I start the fourth (and final) chord from the 16th step, BUT it needs 4 more steps to finish. So I add another bar. But in this method, the empty steps of the second bar play. I just want my chord progression to play in a loop.

So what you actually need are two bars of 10 steps. This gives you the 20 steps you need, and also the logical splitting of the bars after step 10 makes kinda more sense when your chord progression has a duration of 5 steps per chord.

May I ask about the time signature you have in mind? Is one beat = 4 steps or is one beat = 5 steps?
In case if you want 5 steps per beat, you can change the Step Timing to 16Q = 16th note Quintuplet (aka 20 = 1/20 note <<< which is the same, just a different notation).

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”