Producer vs Studio

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
LessThanClever

Producer vs Studio

Postby LessThanClever » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been reading about the differences between Producer and Studio (and tried the demos as well). There seem to be quite the learning curve attached to them (I'm more used with the linear style of Reaper) so I don't really know which would better suit me. So I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has tried them both a bit more extensively.

Thing is, I'm not gonna perform or anything with it, I mainly play guitar in various genres, so it's more about me having the possibility to jot down beats/chord progressions and ideas on the move. And then plug the phone into my aux and jam guitar over the beats. I guess Producer has the possibility to more graphically create an arrangement, with (what I guess) the drawback that it's a bit more fiddly to arrange the pieces. I might add that I have a 6,39" phone. And then Studio has instead the possibility to chain a large amount of patterns after each other to create longer and varied beats.

I mean, the obvious answer is "try it out and see which one fits the best", and the thing is that the demos are nice, but I'd rather get rid of the pop-ups of one app (and support planet-h at the same time) and then use the app fully and fluently instead of jumping to different menus that I didn't mean to go to and watch a few pop-ups more.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't really find anything in the forum about this.

Thanks!
planet-h

Re: Producer vs Studio

Postby planet-h » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:36 pm

Welcome to the forum, LessThanClever
And thanks for your message.

Short answer:
If you want Drum Machine, and only a Drum Machine, then get G-Stomper Rhythm.
If you want a full featured Groovebox Workstation like an Korg ESX paired with a massive synth, then get G-Stomper Studio.
If you want a production workstation more in the direction of Ableton Live, but with the same instruments as in G-Stomper Studio, then get G-Stomper Producer.

For the long answer please read this topioc:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomperbb/viewtopic.php?t=739
LessThanClever

Postby LessThanClever » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks!

That was a really good comparison, I did read the linked thread earlier but I guess some of the technical specs went a little bit over my head. But yeah, the parallel to Ableton Live was the cue I was looking for I think. It's really cool to have a music production app this well-developed (and supported) on Android, keep up the good work!
ReadingSteiner_11

Postby ReadingSteiner_11 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 am

In your situation, I'd go for Studio. That's what I did first as well, as I was just playing the guitar and wanted to be able to build beats around what I play, and I'm fully satisfied.
Right now, I'm experimenting with the Producer demo as to see whether the extra set of tools will help me, I'm still to decide whether to get the full version or not.
LessThanClever

Postby LessThanClever » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:01 am

ReadingSteiner_11 wrote:In your situation, I'd go for Studio. That's what I did first as well, as I was just playing the guitar and wanted to be able to build beats around what I play, and I'm fully satisfied.
Right now, I'm experimenting with the Producer demo as to see whether the extra set of tools will help me, I'm still to decide whether to get the full version or not.

Thanks for the suggestion! I already went with the Producer and got the full version of it (more of a hunch really). And now when I've been playing around with a bit I kinda realize that both Studio and Producer are delivering the same "funcitonality" in this case. One thing that I'm very pleased with regarding Producer is that it's a bit easier to arrange chords and chord changes, I usually create 1-bar patterns with a single chord of the scale, and then pop them down in whatever order I like in the song arranger (like A01 = Cmaj, A02=Dmin and so forth). It's not really as immediate as the Studio's workflow maybe, but it's quite nice when I want to practice soloing quietly (and away from my looper).
ReadingSteiner_11

Postby ReadingSteiner_11 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:33 pm

You're welcome, I more or less came to the same conclusion regarding chords. Right now, finances are tight due to the 'rona, but I hope to buy the full version of Producer as soon as it gets a bit better.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”