PCM Setup

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
W_a-o_nderer

PCM Setup

Postby W_a-o_nderer » Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 pm

I'm having trouble understanding how this PCM setup works, found at 8.2.3.1 in the user manual. I understand how oscillation and wave shapes work. But does this PCM setup allow you to actually put drum sample tracks into this VA-Beast section and edit and treat them as if they were VA-Beast tracks? Or is it instead about combining non-sample based waveforms with the regular VA-Beast waveforms? Or both?
planet-h

Re: PCM Setup

Postby planet-h » Thu May 28, 2020 5:48 am

W_a-o_nderer wrote:I'm having trouble understanding how this PCM setup works, found at 8.2.3.1 in the user manual. I understand how oscillation and wave shapes work. But does this PCM setup allow you to actually put drum sample tracks into this VA-Beast section and edit and treat them as if they were VA-Beast tracks?

Generally, yes.
But as you didn't specify what you mean with "drum sample tracks", I can only guess that you mean "drum sequences" that trigger drum samples, right?
Just try the GM Drum Kits in the VA-Beast's Factory Presets / PCM Based Presets. These are set up to be used for drum sequences.
But keep in mind that also for the GM Drum Kits, the number of concurrent voices are limited.
If you want more concurrent voices, please increase the number in: SETUP / SYN / Nr of Synth Voices.

W_a-o_nderer wrote:Or is it instead about combining non-sample based waveforms with the regular VA-Beast waveforms? Or both?

Both is possible. You have the freedom to use it in any way you want.

For further details, please check out the following section in the docs:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part26.htm

Look for the play modes. These are used to specify how a sample is played. A sample can for example be looped within loop markers, or it can be triggered (played once), and much more.

Hope that makes it clearer.
W_a-o_nderer

Postby W_a-o_nderer » Thu May 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Alright that's cool. I used to think that it wasn't possible to treat drum sequencer tracks as va-beast tracks. But knowing that I can makes me happy. Anyway, I navigated that part of the manual, but I can't figure out something.

Is loading a drum sequencer sample to that PCM setup on a va-beast track supposed to replace that va-beast sample? Or even blend the two samples so they play together? I loaded a standard drum sample in the PCM on one of the va-beast tracks but no matter what I adjust, I always hear the va-beast track playing instead of the drum one. Clarification?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu May 28, 2020 5:11 pm

W_a-o_nderer wrote:Alright that's cool. I used to think that it wasn't possible to treat drum sequencer tracks as va-beast tracks. But knowing that I can makes me happy.

Maybe you misunderstood me in this point. You cannot treat drum sequencer tracks as VA-Beast tracks, nor vice versa.
But a VA-Beast track can be used to create drum sequences when you're using a drum preset (where usually every sample is mapped to a different key).

W_a-o_nderer wrote:Is loading a drum sequencer sample to that PCM setup on a va-beast track supposed to replace that va-beast sample? Or even blend the two samples so they play together? I loaded a standard drum sample in the PCM on one of the va-beast tracks but no matter what I adjust, I always hear the va-beast track playing instead of the drum one. Clarification?

Sure, because you haven't set the keys for that sample. By default the low key is 0 and the high key is 127, which means the sample is played on all keys.

As described in this section of the docs:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part26.htm
You must set the root key, the low key, and the high key, all to the same note. Then only that note plays that sample.
Long press Root Key, then press a key on the keyboard, then long press Low Key, and again press the same key as before on the keyboard, and the same again for the high key.
Then repeat the same with another sample and use another key/note to map it to.
This is the whole magic.
W_a-o_nderer

Postby W_a-o_nderer » Thu May 28, 2020 11:04 pm

Alright,

I added the sample that I want and followed the instructions but I can't hear the sample when I play the corresponding key. Constantly looking at throughout that chapter of the manual. What do I do?

I loaded an 808 CB for S1 to the OSC 1 PCM setup under a Grand Piano (Clean) PH. Assigned to VT01. R, L and H keys are set to C4. I noticed that I can scroll through SMP and it contains 86 different ones. I press C4 of that same Grand Piano track and I don't hear 808 CB. Do I need to assign 808 CB to the remaining 85 samples inside of this? Or anything different/additional?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri May 29, 2020 5:35 am

W_a-o_nderer wrote:I added the sample that I want and followed the instructions but I can't hear the sample when I play the corresponding key. Constantly looking at throughout that chapter of the manual. What do I do?

I loaded an 808 CB for S1 to the OSC 1 PCM setup under a Grand Piano (Clean) PH. Assigned to VT01. R, L and H keys are set to C4. I noticed that I can scroll through SMP and it contains 86 different ones. I press C4 of that same Grand Piano track and I don't hear 808 CB. Do I need to assign 808 CB to the remaining 85 samples inside of this? Or anything different/additional?

You must start with a new, empty preset. Just start with a fresh preset, then press the osc waveform until you reach PCM.
You cannot use the Grand Piano preset, as has already all keys mapped with around 90 samples.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”