Using G-stomper for sequencing external hardware synths

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
cjunekim

Using G-stomper for sequencing external hardware synths

Postby cjunekim » Sat May 09, 2020 5:31 am

Hi

I found G-stomper a couple of months ago and it seems to have a great potential. What I'd like to do with G-stomper is sequencing multiple external hardware synths like korg volca series.

It's builtin sequencer is limited in its length. I think G-stomper can sequence 16 step * 8 bars = 128 steps. Right?

Is it possible to record and send MIDI CC values out to my synths? Also, which product would you recommend for my purpose? There are several G-stomper products.

June
planet-h

Re: Using G-stomper for sequencing external hardware synths

Postby planet-h » Sat May 09, 2020 7:26 am

Welcome to the forum, cjunekim
cjunekim wrote:I found G-stomper a couple of months ago and it seems to have a great potential. What I'd like to do with G-stomper is sequencing multiple external hardware synths like korg volca series.

Thanks for your kind words.
And yes, sure, you can do that using a MIDI to DIN interface cable and then use some MIDI Thru box to split the cable.
I'd not recommend to use multiple hardware synths connected over USB to your Android device, as this won't work well.

cjunekim wrote:It's builtin sequencer is limited in its length. I think G-stomper can sequence 16 step * 8 bars = 128 steps. Right?

Yes and no. This depends on the app you use. G-Stomper is not a specific app, there is G-Stomper Studio, G-Stomper Rhythm, G-Stomper VA-Beast Standalone, and G-Stomper Producer.
The Pattern sequencer is in all these apps limited to 128 steps, but G-Stomper Studio can chain up to 999 Patterns, and G-Stomper Producer comes with a graphical timeline based song arranger with unlimited length.

cjunekim wrote:Is it possible to record and send MIDI CC values out to my synths? Also, which product would you recommend for my purpose? There are several G-stomper products.
[/quote]
Yes, sure, all G-Stomper apps support round-trip MIDI.

Here are a few examples:

Here you'll find an introduction to the G-Stomper MIDI integration:
https://www.planet-h.com/documentation/midi/

And here you'll find the complete MIDI docs:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... _Midi.html
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... l_Midi.pdf
jay121

Postby jay121 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi, Im interested in how you got the visual feedback to the drumpads on your akai controller (lighting up). I have my midi controller working fine and have mapped my controls and pads but am not getting the feedback.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 pm

jay121 wrote:Hi, Im interested in how you got the visual feedback to the drumpads on your akai controller (lighting up). I have my midi controller working fine and have mapped my controls and pads but am not getting the feedback.

First of all, this is not possible with all AKAI pads.
MPK Mini MkII and also LPD8 (wireless and wired) both do not support visual feedback on the pads.
Only the more expensive controllers, such as the MPK225 or the MPK249 do allow that.
All you need to do is to activate MIDI out in the G-Stomper app.
There where you map the MIDI channel (G-Stomper main screen / SETUP / MIDI), e.g. the global channel for the drum pads, set the channel to whatever you want it, then set the IN Port and the OUT Port both to "1". Without setting the ports MIDI out won't work.
Furthermore ensure in the MIDI transmission section of the G-Stomper MIDI Setup (G-Stomper main screen / SETUP / MIDI), the note messages are set to send & receive.
Ideally also set the Default IN port and the Default OUT port. If you do that, then whenever you learn a MIDI channel, it'll adopt the port. Furthermore, if you want to sync your MPK225 over MIDI clock (its arpeggio makes use of being synced), then the default out port is required in order to send out the MIDI clock.

Be sure to take a closer look at the MIDI docs:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... _Midi.html
jay121

Postby jay121 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks for the reply, that's really helpful. I will let you know how it goes. :D
ReadingSteiner_11

Postby ReadingSteiner_11 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 pm

I can vouch for the MPK225, it really feels like it was made to be used along with G-Stomper.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”