Anybody running G-Stomper Studio on Linux Desktop ?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
mark_orion

Anybody running G-Stomper Studio on Linux Desktop ?

Postby mark_orion » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:43 pm

I would like to ask if anybody succeeded in getting G-Stomper Studio or any G-Stomper app running on a Linux Desktop ?
I tried with Anbox, got PlayStore and G-Stomper Studio installed but I could not get any sound out of it. And I could see that the sequencer was running jerky.
planet-h

Re: Anybody running G-Stomper Studio on Linux Desktop ?

Postby planet-h » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm

Bluestacks is definitely your best option on a Linux desktop.
mark_orion

Postby mark_orion » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:25 pm

planet-h wrote:Bluestacks is definitely your best option on a Linux desktop.

Nope, Bluestacks it not available for Linux, only Windows or Mac OS. I am happy to be proven wrong, but that's how it looks like. I only found "Genymotion", but for their pricing I can get a second hand tablet and don't have to rely on cloud technology.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:43 pm

You're right. There is no Bluestacks Linux version. I really thought there is one, sorry for that.
mark_orion

Postby mark_orion » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:07 pm

I got a step further with this by installing Android x86 in Virtualbox.
However, G-Stomper studio does start and I am getting the "Cannot access storage" popup as described in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=745
The problem is that I cannot get past this popup. The only option is the "close" button that closes G-Stomper
Android version is 9
Any help is appreciated (the post mentions an attachment to solve the problem - I am interested).
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:45 pm

mark_orion wrote:I got a step further with this by installing Android x86 in Virtualbox.
However, G-Stomper studio does start and I am getting the "Cannot access storage" popup as described in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=745
The problem is that I cannot get past this popup. The only option is the "close" button that closes G-Stomper
Android version is 9
Any help is appreciated (the post mentions an attachment to solve the problem - I am interested).

The problem is a bug in the Android x86 OS, obviously a wrong handling of the storage permission in the private, isolated folders (which should not require any permission).
However, you can avoid this problem by using an Android x86 image that is based on Android 7.x.
Unless they fix the problem in their OS, Android x86 versions from 8.0 onwards will produce this behavior in any G-Stomper app.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:50 pm

This thread shows the success story with Android x86 based on Android 7.1.
mark_orion

Postby mark_orion » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:19 pm

planet-h wrote:This thread shows the success story with Android x86 based on Android 7.1.

I can confirm Android x86 7.1 works great. Even USB MIDI works, but only with a dedicated MIDI-only USB interface. I had problems with mixed audio/MIDI interfaces like the Roland SH-01A synthesizer but that's not a big deal.
Thanks for your help.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:35 pm

mark_orion wrote:I can confirm Android x86 7.1 works great. Even USB MIDI works, but only with a dedicated MIDI-only USB interface.

Great! Thanks a lot for the success report.

mark_orion wrote:I had problems with mixed audio/MIDI interfaces like the Roland SH-01A synthesizer but that's not a big deal.

That is almost to be expected. Not sure how the hardware is handled in Android x86, but having audio and MIDI in one interface does often result in problems, also on real Android devices.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”