Novation launchkey mini MKIII

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
siestomp

Novation launchkey mini MKIII

Postby siestomp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi,
I just bought that controller (mainly to run with live ... mainly :-) ? ) .
Via OTG adaptor no problem to use it in combination with stomper.
Is there a way to tell stomper to take benefit of the pads for the drumsets while using the keys with the synth?
Some of the potis are already usable to tweak the synth.
I think, I have to setup user defined midi massages for the pads and the rest of the potis?
Has someone done that already?
horst
planet-h

Re: Novation launchkey mini MKIII

Postby planet-h » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:26 am

siestomp wrote:I just bought that controller (mainly to run with live ... mainly :-) ? ) .
Via OTG adaptor no problem to use it in combination with stomper.

Can you please specify what exactly you mean with "no problem using it"?
I assume that something of it works, but what exactly? Keys, Knobs, Pads, anything else?

siestomp wrote:Is there a way to tell stomper to take benefit of the pads for the drumsets while using the keys with the synth?

Yes, if the pads are able to send either MIDI CC or MIDI NoteOn/Off events.
To reconfigure anything on your controller (such as the CC values of the knobs or the fired notes or CC of the pads, please check the Novation Launchkey Mini MKIII user manual.

siestomp wrote:Some of the potis are already usable to tweak the synth.

Yes, that might be, because some of the knobs firing a CC that matches the default MIDI CC mapping of the VA-Beast Synth.

siestomp wrote:I think, I have to setup user defined midi massages for the pads and the rest of the potis?

Yes, you can just learn them using the learn feature in the G-Stomper MIDI Setup.
Just follow the docs at: https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part51.htm
The example in the docs shows the global CC mappings, for the synth, configure the VA-Beast CC Mappings.
And of course don't forget to map the correct MIDI channel.

siestomp wrote:Has someone done that already?

Main Screen / SETUP / MIDI / VA-Beast MIDI CC Mappings / ....
siestomp

Postby siestomp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi, sorry, I got a bit lost in the help file :? .
Let me try to explain in a different way:
- That launchkey mini hat some pads, some knobs and a keyboard
The configuration is:
- The pads are sending the notes via chanel 10
- The keyboard via chanel 1
- The potis I am not looking at this moment.
In reaper it s a simple way. I set up two tracks, on both the launchkey enabled and activated for record, but set first track to listen to chanel 1 and the second track listening to chanel 10.
Now I can play the pads with a drumset at the second track and a synth at the first track independent and simultan.
The same I would like to do with stomper but get lost in all the settings. I only get the result that keys and pads are acting in the same way, only the synth is to be heard (and the notes are different depending on the setting of the key mapping).

horst
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:50 pm

siestomp wrote:Let me try to explain in a different way:
- That launchkey mini hat some pads, some knobs and a keyboard
The configuration is:
- The pads are sending the notes via chanel 10
- The keyboard via chanel 1
- The potis I am not looking at this moment.

That all sounds fine so far.

siestomp wrote:In reaper it s a simple way. I set up two tracks, on both the launchkey enabled and activated for record, but set first track to listen to chanel 1 and the second track listening to chanel 10.
Now I can play the pads with a drumset at the second track and a synth at the first track independent and simultan.
The same I would like to do with stomper but get lost in all the settings. I only get the result that keys and pads are acting in the same way, only the synth is to be heard (and the notes are different depending on the setting of the key mapping).

OK, first of all, you have to clear the default MIDI CC mapping ... (the default mapping is the reason why you hear the synth all the time)

------
In case of G-Stomper Studio or G-Stomper Producer:
Note that by default, the selected Track VT[..] is mapped to all channels.
SETUP / MIDI / VA-Beast Synthesizer Channels, Ports / Clear All
------
In case of G-Stomper Rhythm:
Note that by default, the Global MIDI section is mapped to all channels.
SETUP / MIDI / Global Channel, Ports / Clear / OK
------

Now connect the controller to the Android device and start the G-Stomper app.
Then map the channels:
1. KB on Channel 1: SETUP / MIDI / Sampler Channels, Ports / T01 / Learn / "now press a key on your controller to learn the channel 1" / OK
2. Pads on Channel 10: SETUP / MIDI / Sampler Channels, Ports / T02 / Learn / "now press a pad on your controller to learn the channel 10" / OK

Likewise, if you want to play the different sampler tracks on different pads, all on channel 10...
Skip 1. and 2. and do 3. and 4. instead...
3. Pads on Channel 10: SETUP / MIDI / Global Channel, Ports / Learn / "now press a pad on your controller to learn the channel 10" / OK
4. Map the pad notes to the different tracks: SETUP / MIDI / Global Key Mappings / T01 / Learn / "now press the pad you want to map to T01" / OK
Repeat 4. for each pad and track you want to map.

Hope that answers your question.
siestomp

Postby siestomp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:57 am

Hi, and sorry for the delay.
I had to do some sidesteps to your recipe, but I have achieved the following:
The pads are triggering the drum pads and the keyboard the synth independent. That is fine.
But I am not able to seperate the synths (VT01 and VT02 ... and the others). The midi commands are not routed to the active synth, but to all.
What do I wrong? Do I have to set different channels for each VT?
horst
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:50 pm

siestomp wrote:But I am not able to seperate the synths (VT01 and VT02 ... and the others). The midi commands are not routed to the active synth, but to all.
What do I wrong? Do I have to set different channels for each VT?

That's up to you.
If you want to play multiple VTxx at the same time, then you must of course map a unique MIDI channel to each VT01, VT02, and so on.
If you want to play only one VTxx at a time, but want to switch to another one easily then you just have to map one MIDI channel to the selected VT[..].
siestomp

Postby siestomp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:06 pm

So, my knowledge is on a right way ;)

planet-h wrote:If you want to play multiple VTxx at the same time, then you must of course map a unique MIDI channel to each VT01, VT02, and so on.

I have to ask Novation if it is possible to change the channel for the keyboard on demand. The launchkey editor seem just to edit the pads, not the keys.

planet-h wrote:If you want to play only one VTxx at a time, but want to switch to another one easily then you just have to map one MIDI channel to the selected VT[..].

But that is a long way, needs too many clicks, not suitable to do it a quick way (live). Or do I miss something?
Does this make sens to establish?: If I select a VT, the others will not receive any key related MIDI commands
horst
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:11 pm

You can save/load the entire midi setup to/from a file. That just a few clicks. However, this is how it is for now. There is no time frame for any feature updates in the near future.
siestomp

Postby siestomp » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:00 am

Thank you for the quick reply, horst
siestomp

Postby siestomp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 pm

I've got the solution from Novation:
Pressing 'Transpose' plus 'Shift' and hitting the PAD 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... will permanent select the keys MIDI Chanel 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... ,
Perfect solution .
horst

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”