Can I use midi to load and play samples?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Mutha Goose

Can I use midi to load and play samples?

Postby Mutha Goose » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm

I am looking for an Android app that would allow me to load and play Wav or MP3s (one time, not looped) completely controlled by midi messages.

This is for a live performance where we want to trigger samples/backing tracks from a midi controller. A typical show uses up to 20 different audio tracks (never more than 1 at a time), so I need to be able to select and play the track completely by midi (i.e. hands free).

Can any of the G-Stomper products do this? (I did try searching the forum and manual 1st).
planet-h

Re: Can I use midi to load and play samples?

Postby planet-h » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Mutha Goose wrote:I am looking for an Android app that would allow me to load and play Wav or MP3s (one time, not looped) completely controlled by midi messages.

G-Stomper Rhythm, G-Stomper Studio, and G-Stomper Producer all come with a max 24 Track Drum Machine where each track can load one single Wav or Aiff sample (8-64bit, all sample rates, mono or stereo).
Mp3 is not supported, sorry.
The loading process itself cannot be cone by MIDI, so in other words you cannot tell the drum machine to load a named sample from the storage by MIDI.
But you can of course load all 24 tracks with an individual sample, then map the Global MIDI Channel and trigger the particular tracks by sending a NoteOn event with the note that is mapped to a particular track.

Mutha Goose wrote:This is for a live performance where we want to trigger samples/backing tracks from a midi controller. A typical show uses up to 20 different audio tracks (never more than 1 at a time), so I need to be able to select and play the track completely by midi (i.e. hands free).

There is no need to "select" a track first. All you need to do is to send the NoteOn event with the note that is mapped to a particular track.
You can trigger them one by one or all together, that's up to you.

Mutha Goose wrote:Can any of the G-Stomper products do this? (I did try searching the forum and manual 1st).

G-Stomper Rhythm, G-Stomper Studio, and G-Stomper Producer all come with a max 24 Track Drum Machine, and therefore these 3 can do what you're looking for.
All you need to do is to create a sound set or pattern in the particular G-Stomper app with all required samples loaded, then do the Global MIDI channel mapping and the Global Key mappings, and you're ready to go.

Note: You can do technically the same using the VA-Beast Synth by loading sample in its PCM operation mode, but it's not as comfortable like using the drum machine.

Global MIDI Mappings:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part38.htm

Non-tonal Sampler Playback for all Sampler Tracks:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part42.htm

Global MIDI Key Mapping Chart:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part59.htm

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”