Sending midi program changes on pattern change

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Ferg

Sending midi program changes on pattern change

Postby Ferg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi

I am using g stomper studio predominantly to control external midi instruments - I have a modal craft drum sampler and microkorg connected via usb-c through a powered usb hub. I understand that program change messages are linked to pattern changes however the program change message seems to cause the sampler to re-initialise the drum kit settings with an out-of-time kick drum and the microkorg stops outputting sound until it is restarted. I have tried disabling program change messages in the midi menu and redirecting global midi messages to an unused midi channel however neither of these seem to have any effect on program change messages being sent in all midi channels.
I get the same behaviour on Xiaomi mi 8 and on my old lg g8, both with single and multiple external midi instruments attached, and in both studio and the demo version of producer. I don't know if this is a bug in the midi settings or if there are further settings I need to use to disable sending program changes, but at the moment I'm not able to use g-stomper with external midi instruments other than to loop a single pattern.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ferg
planet-h

Re: Sending midi program changes on pattern change

Postby planet-h » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Welcome to the forum, Ferg
And thanks for your message.
This not a bug, therefore the topic has been moved to "General Questions".

Ferg wrote:I am using g stomper studio predominantly to control external midi instruments - I have a modal craft drum sampler and microkorg connected via usb-c through a powered usb hub. I understand that program change messages are linked to pattern changes however the program change message seems to cause the sampler to re-initialise the drum kit settings with an out-of-time kick drum and the microkorg stops outputting sound until it is restarted.

That makes absolute sense, as G-Stomper fires all it's parameter values in form of Control Change events after a pattern change, when MIDI OUT is enabled.
This is the wanted behavior, as a new pattern comes with new parameter values, and hose must be reflected on the connected MIDI equipment (e.g. a controller with feedback support).

Ferg wrote:I have tried disabling program change messages in the midi menu and redirecting global midi messages to an unused midi channel however neither of these seem to have any effect on program change messages being sent in all midi channels.

The events are not fired towards the global midi channel.
These are fired towards the Sampler Track MIDI channels and the VA-Beast Track MIDI channels.

Either turn off sending MIDI Control Changes in the MIDI settings on top (set "receive" instead of "send & receive", or turn of MIDI OUT by not mapping an OUT port.
But as I guess that you want to fire triggers/noteOn/Off towards your microkorg, I'd say turning of the sending of control changes is the best solution.
However, likewise you can also clear all MIDI CC mappings for the samplers and synths. This will also stop the CC values from being sent.

You can of course also turn off receiving MIDI CC on your microkorg, but I guess that's not what you want.

Ferg wrote:I get the same behaviour on Xiaomi mi 8 and on my old lg g8, both with single and multiple external midi instruments attached, and in both studio and the demo version of producer. I don't know if this is a bug in the midi settings or if there are further settings I need to use to disable sending program changes, but at the moment I'm not able to use g-stomper with external midi instruments other than to loop a single pattern.

Yes, you'll get the same behavior on every device, as this is the wanted behavior. It's not a bug.
Ferg

Postby Ferg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi

Thanks for the quick response.

So am I right that this behaviour is caused by cc messages being sent on a pattern change and not program change messages? I wasn't aware that these were sent as well, and can't see what parameter values would be sent on a pattern change and how to adjust them. I would like to be able to use some cc automations if possible.

Thanks

Frrg
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:00 am

Ferg wrote:So am I right that this behaviour is caused by cc messages being sent on a pattern change and not program change messages?

Yes, that's correct.
The Program Change events are (if activated in the MIDI settings) fired towards the Global MIDI Channel, as Program Change events are part of the Global MIDI Mappings.
If you don't want Program Changes to be sent towards your MicroKorg, then just set Program Changes to "receive" only in the MIDI settings.
The Control Change events are sent to their mapped MIDI channels. That means: Drum Sampler parameters to the mapped drum sampler track MIDI channel, based on the Sampler CC mappings in the MIDI settings.

Ferg wrote:I wasn't aware that these were sent as well, and can't see what parameter values would be sent on a pattern change and how to adjust them.

Which parameters are mapped to which MIDI CC is shown (and defined) in the Sampler CC mappings in the MIDI settings.
If you have at least one parameter mapped to a MIDI CC and MIDI out is enabled, then you must ensure that this parameter always reflects the desired value (or at least a value that makes sense) of your connected hardware. And that should be the case in all patterns you use.

Note that if you have mapped a MIDI channel to the "Selected Track T[..]", then each time you select another track, e.g. from T01 to T02, all parameters will be fired. Therefore I'd recommend to map a MIDI channel to one specific Track, e.g. T01.

Ferg wrote:I would like to be able to use some cc automations if possible.

You can clear Sampler CC mappings in the MIDI settings, and then explicitly map the CC you want to automate to a specific parameter.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”