Phantom loop?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
chrisbandit

Phantom loop?

Postby chrisbandit » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm

First I love g stomper, I just bought the studio version and love it. I use a Samsung note 8 with os version 9. I started having an issue, when using a bluetooth speaker, wherein a background drums type noisy loop plays. Though it doesnt really seem to be consistent as to exactly what it plays, it is always similar. This started the 3rd time I used gstomper studio,and did not occur on an install of the rhythm version. I checked for long pressed options, and turning all faders down in mixer. That does not stop it. Only shutting down gstomper completely does, or turning off my bluetooth speaker. I think this occurred without the speaker at first but i am not sure. Anyway I wondered if anyone else ran in to this. I am happy with it anyway I just wondered, and I had a similar "phantom" midi loop occur on a kx88 but I haven't used this with midi yet.
planet-h

Re: Phantom loop?

Postby planet-h » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, chrisbandit
And thanks for your message.

chrisbandit wrote:First I love g stomper, I just bought the studio version and love it. I use a Samsung note 8 with os version 9. I started having an issue, when using a bluetooth speaker, wherein a background drums type noisy loop plays. Though it doesnt really seem to be consistent as to exactly what it plays, it is always similar. This started the 3rd time I used gstomper studio,and did not occur on an install of the rhythm version. I checked for long pressed options, and turning all faders down in mixer. That does not stop it. Only shutting down gstomper completely does, or turning off my bluetooth speaker. I think this occurred without the speaker at first but i am not sure. Anyway I wondered if anyone else ran in to this. I am happy with it anyway I just wondered, and I had a similar "phantom" midi loop occur on a kx88 but I haven't used this with midi yet.

What you report is not a bug, at least not a bug in G-Stomper Studio.

When you say "noisy loop", do you mean something like stuttering, distortion, or similar?
If this is the case, then you're running out of CPU.
To get rid of it you must get more CPU headroom, e.g. by reducing the sample rate: Main Screen / Setup / Aud / Sample Rate = 32000Hz.

If it something else, then it's most likely because of the Bluetooth speaker.
Bluetooth speakers usually add a huge audio latency, something between 250-500ms, which can result in faulty audio output.

However, if you can reproduce it without the Bluetooth speaker.
Then it would be helpful if you'd maul us the pattern set, in which it usually happens.

Furthermore it would be helpful, if you could give use some details about the app settings.
Ideally just send a mail from inside the app (main menu / help / contact developer). Such a mail comes with a generated header that contains details about the used Android Version, App Settings, etc.
planet-h

Re: Phantom loop?

Postby planet-h » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:31 am

I just got your mail, Chris.
Thanks for sending the details, especially for the recording.

What I can say for sure is that this is definitely not a "running out of CPU stuttering".
Also, there's nothing special in your app settings. Seems all fine.

It rather sounds like a buffering problem somewhere.
So you said you hear that "phantom loop" even on an empty pattern without any sequences, correct?
Does it make a difference if the sequencer is running or not?

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”