Can the Beast LFOs send MIDI?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
drewinnit

Can the Beast LFOs send MIDI?

Postby drewinnit » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi,

I've been using G-Stomper Studio to control external MIDI synths , the integration has been very simple and the control is amazing - lots of fun.

One thing I'd like to do is use the Beast's LFOs to modulate external MIDI parameters. I can't seem to work out if this is possible.

If i use, for example, Osc 1 Shape to control my external synth's cut-off - it works when I sweep the fader on the Beast synth. But if I set up the Beast LFO to modulate Osc 1 Shape, the modulation doesn't seem to get sent via MIDI, only internally.

Am I missing anything? Or is this not possible

My work-around has been to Generate Parameter Automation on the controlling parameter on Beast, another way to achieve modulation but not with the same control and variety as the LFO would provide.

Any help appreciated, cheers!
https://soundcloud.com/fevered-shiva
planet-h

Re: Can the Beast LFOs send MIDI?

Postby planet-h » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks for your message, drewinnit

drewinnit wrote:I've been using G-Stomper Studio to control external MIDI synths , the integration has been very simple and the control is amazing - lots of fun.

One thing I'd like to do is use the Beast's LFOs to modulate external MIDI parameters. I can't seem to work out if this is possible.

If i use, for example, Osc 1 Shape to control my external synth's cut-off - it works when I sweep the fader on the Beast synth. But if I set up the Beast LFO to modulate Osc 1 Shape, the modulation doesn't seem to get sent via MIDI, only internally.

Am I missing anything? Or is this not possible

No, sending out LFO or Envelope curves as MIDI signals is not possible, sorry.
It's normal, that such signals are not sent over MIDI. To be honest, I don't know a single synth (neither hardware nor software) which does that.

LFOs live deep inside the synth core and not in the Sequencer where all the MIDI transmission is done.
Furthermore, LFOs as well as Envelopes have a much higher resolution than the MIDI CC value range 0..127

MIDI CC signals are only transmitted if a slider gets moved, either manually or by automation.
It's similar with the modulation wheel on the synth KB. You can apply an unlimited amount of parameters to it (it's a morph group actually), but when you move it, it still only transmits the modulation wheel MIDI CC, and not the CCs of all the morphed parameters.

The workaround you already use (Parameter Automation) is your best option.
Sorry for not having a better answer.
drewinnit

Re: Can the Beast LFOs send MIDI?

Postby drewinnit » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 am

great, thanks for the answer. was hoping I was just missing an option somewhere. good to know I was on the right path by utilising the Paramter Automation :)
https://soundcloud.com/fevered-shiva

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”