128+ beats user samples

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Kim
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:49 pm

128+ beats user samples

Postby Kim » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi there,

first let me say that the software is really amazing and I love the possibilities that I have now creating and arranging music on my tablet. And... I am not an Apple user...

But now to my question: I am working with REAPER and arrange lots of things there. I am using G-Stomper more for live gigs. For this I often would like to use long samples directly exported from REAPER. I found out that G-Stomper can handle User Samples up to a length of 128 beats but I need at least 256 or even more. Are there any possibilities? I need these long samples especially in the Pattern Set.

Many thanks and best regards!

Kim
User avatar
planet-h
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: 128+ beats user samples

Postby planet-h » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, Kim

Kim wrote:first let me say that the software is really amazing and I love the possibilities that I have now creating and arranging music on my tablet. And... I am not an Apple user...

Thanks a lot for the kind words :). I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Kim wrote:But now to my question: I am working with REAPER and arrange lots of things there. I am using G-Stomper more for live gigs. For this I often would like to use long samples directly exported from REAPER. I found out that G-Stomper can handle User Samples up to a length of 128 beats but I need at least 256 or even more. Are there any possibilities? I need these long samples especially in the Pattern Set.

Actually it's 128 steps, not beats.
So if you use the standard step timing 16th (which is the longest non-triplet timing), then 1 beat requires 4 steps, which means 128 steps is equal to 32 beats.
However, you can use longer loops when you chain a couple of patterns together using the song mode on the pattern set view.

1. Create an empty pattern with 128 steps in slot A-01 (step timing 16, steps per bar 16, length in bars 8).
2. Copy this empty pattern to the slots A-02, A-03, and A04.
3. Use the song mode to chain the Patterns A-01, A-02, A-03, and A04 together to a short song arrangement. This gives you a song of 512 steps in total = 128 beats.
4. In Pattern A-01 only, trigger your 128 beats long sample, only once at step 1 at bar 1.

Now play your song arrangement and enjoy.
The long sample will continue to play over pattern changes by default (that's a setting in Main Screen / SETUP / SMP / ...).
So the 128 beats long sample will actually play over the complete song arrangement (4 patterns), and then when the song restarts, it will be re-triggered.
It is clear that this is a work-around. But since it's not possible to make longer patterns than 128 steps, this is your only option to achieve what you're looking for.
As a matter of course you can also chain 8 patterns.
Or, if you don't want to waste that many pattern slots, you can also chain them like A-01 > A-02 > A-02 > A-02.

Hope that solves your problem.
Kim
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: 128+ beats user samples

Postby Kim » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Wow! Very fast and very cool response! Thanks a lot for the service! I will try that!
Kim
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: 128+ beats user samples

Postby Kim » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Let me again te my appreciation for the tool! G-Stomper is amazing and it fullfills my needs now 100%. Your solution works fine! Many thanks aagin!
User avatar
planet-h
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: 128+ beats user samples

Postby planet-h » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 am

Kim wrote:Let me again te my appreciation for the tool! G-Stomper is amazing and it fullfills my needs now 100%. Your solution works fine! Many thanks aagin!

Thanks a lot for the success report. Great to hear that you're happy with the solution:)

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests