Optimising Processor Usage

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
riche

Re: Optimising Processor Usage

Postby riche » Tue May 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Overall Volume :
OK - I understand need for headroom.
And yes G-Stomper does sound VERY good.

My concern is the overall Volume is very low and needs pregain and overall gain set very high (almost max on some desks) on a multi track hardware mixer to balance with other inputs of instruments or other audio input.
This in effect gives very little two-way headroom for G-stomper on a hardware mixer.
Its as if the main output mix of G-Stomper is locked to not go above that 85% you mention.
I have tried pushing overall volume on G-Stomper main mix page.
While this does prevent distortion and so on it makes Gstomper seem "underpowered" to a sound technician
who has to push G-Stomper hard into the mix.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue May 29, 2018 12:44 pm

riche wrote:Overall Volume :
OK - I understand need for headroom.
And yes G-Stomper does sound VERY good.

My concern is the overall Volume is very low and needs pregain and overall gain set very high (almost max on some desks) on a multi track hardware mixer to balance with other inputs of instruments or other audio input.
This in effect gives very little two-way headroom for G-stomper on a hardware mixer.

Then just rise the levels.

There are generally 4 levels for the synths (5 including the android media volume):
1. Velocity 0..127 (default = 110)
2. The instrument level 0..100% (default 85%)
3. The mixer level 0..100% (default at 85%)
4. Master out 0..100% (default at 100%, also 100% if bypassed)

There are generally 5 levels for the drum samplers (6 including the android media volume):
1. Velocity 0..127 (default = 127)
2. Accentuation (default non-accentuated steps = -10%)
3. The instrument level 0..100% (default 85%)
4. The mixer level 0..100% (default at 85%)
5. Master out 0..100% (default at 100%, also 100% if bypassed)

The media volume is always lowered until you confirm the Android dialog (that's made by the Operating system to protect your ears).
So first of all, rise the media volume of your device (press the device vol up button, then press the settings wheel beside the system slider and rise the media volume to max).

Then rise everything as shown above to 100% (that's clearly too much, it's just to show what is possible).
To max the accentuation out, either set triggers with accents or set the accent level to 0 (zero).
Try it, you'll see you get all the power you need, but you'll also loose a lot of headroom.

Also helpful might be the NORM switch of the drum sampler on the main screen.
It normalizes the drum sample to -0dB (at the very beginning of the signal chain).

riche wrote:Its as if the main output mix of G-Stomper is locked to not go above that 85% you mention.

No the main/master output mix is not locked at anything.
It goes from 0% (-infinity dB) to 100% (-0dB).
The master out is actually the only level slider that is not set to 85% by default.

Again, the 85% are not hidden in some way. If you rise the sliders to the max, then you have -0dB (means the signal is unchanged).

riche wrote:I have tried pushing overall volume on G-Stomper main mix page.
While this does prevent distortion and so on it makes Gstomper seem "underpowered" to a sound technician
who has to push G-Stomper hard into the mix.

It's not G-Stomper, it's the mini jack output of the Android device.
At the end, it's your choice how hard you push the levels as explained above.
riche

Postby riche » Tue May 29, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks for that....
I was going to mention that I suspect it is a problem with my output jack / cable that could be causing this....
Will check that out too...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue May 29, 2018 1:46 pm

riche wrote:Thanks for that....
I was going to mention that I suspect it is a problem with my output jack / cable that could be causing this....
Will check that out too...

Ideally, to be 100% sure, a cross check with another app on the same device would be definitely helpful.

However, the jack output is in fact at lower level than normal as far as I know, probably because a few kids in the US damaged their ears by too loud music, and then their parents charged the OS manufacturer and then hardware guys for it.

And bottom line, G-Stomper does actually keep some headroom for the mix. Therefore you'll surely get more level,, if you simply play a normalized wav file using the audio player.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”