link cc to velocity

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
EmmetRay

link cc to velocity

Postby EmmetRay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:09 am

i'm using g-stomper to control my external hardware. is it possible to link midi cc to the midi velocity? some of the korg volcas don't recognize velocity but have a volume level for
each instrument. i achieved doing that with pure data but i would like to get rid of my laptop and using the tablet instead.

thx
jakob
planet-h

Re: link cc to velocity

Postby planet-h » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 am

Welcome to the forum, EmmetRay.

EmmetRay wrote:i'm using g-stomper to control my external hardware. is it possible to link midi cc to the midi velocity? some of the korg volcas don't recognize velocity but have a volume level for
each instrument. i achieved doing that with pure data but i would like to get rid of my laptop and using the tablet instead.

Unfortunately that is not possible.
What you can do instead is to automate the level of each instrument.
I know, this is only a workaround, and it's clearly not as comfortable as using velocity, but for now that is the only way to achieve what you're looking for.
The automation of the level can fire CC out, and you can apply it for each step separately using the step edit feature.

All details about the step edit feature can be found here:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_ParameterAutomation/part4.htm
EmmetRay

Postby EmmetRay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 am

hey thanks for the quick answer. i will try that.
might it be possible someday in the future?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:51 pm

EmmetRay wrote:might it be possible someday in the future?

I've added it to the list to "to be considered" features.
But I cannot give you any guarantee, as the velocity is handled different to the CC messages.
Generally, in most MIDI enabled apps, DAWs, or hardware gears, MIDI events have different priorities to ensure the best possible "real-time" results.

Prio 1: Real-time messages like MIDI clock, start, stop, continue
Prio 2: Note On/Off events or similar (which also includes the velocity)
Prio 3: CC events

In case of the velocity, it's essential that it is transmitted together with the related note, as otherwise there's no way to guarantee that the velocity is received by the destination at the same time as the note on event. If the velocity would be fired out as a CC to control the level of a device, it might occur that the CC would be received with a slight delay, which could (in some situations) result in unwanted behavior.

However, it's an interesting point, but it has to be tested and then considered.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”