Scan for Bluetooth LE devices not showing up

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Folkdisco

Re: Scan for Bluetooth LE devices not showing up

Postby Folkdisco » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Shipped with Cyanogen. One of the things I liked about the phone. #ohsonaive
A few different small phone companies did the same thing.
Unfortunately, Cyanogen went a bit weird on them, and caused all sorts of problems.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:44 pm

After it looking like it wasn't possible with my current OS, I ran this app.
BLE Midi Sample
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... idi.sample
It successfully pairs, no problems, and all notes, channels, velocities, notes off by velocity 0, are displayed correctly as you press the keys on the LPK25 over Bluetooth. :-)

I suspect that if you don't run the tests, and just give me a "Scan for Bluetooth LE MIDI devices" button, then it might work fine.
*Maybe* my phone gives a negative response for midi because it doesn't have OTG?
Unlike the BMS app, the BLE Midi Connect app clearly runs similar tests to GSS, and greys out the scan button.
GSS is stubbornly saying "Connected Midi Device: None".
As a workaround, is there any way to persuade GSS to use the pair set up by BLE Midi Sample?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Folkdisco wrote:After it looking like it wasn't possible with my current OS, I ran this app.
BLE Midi Sample
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... idi.sample
It successfully pairs, no problems, and all notes, channels, velocities, notes off by velocity 0, are displayed correctly as you press the keys on the LPK25 over Bluetooth. :-)

I suspect that if you don't run the tests, and just give me a "Scan for Bluetooth LE MIDI devices" button, then it might work fine.
*Maybe* my phone gives a negative response for midi because it doesn't have OTG?
Unlike the BMS app, the BLE Midi Connect app clearly runs similar tests to GSS, and greys out the scan button.
GSS is stubbornly saying "Connected Midi Device: None".
As a workaround, is there any way to persuade GSS to use the pair set up by BLE Midi Sample?

Unfortunately it won't work like that.
Kaoru Shoji's BLE MIDI sample is not based on the Android 6 MIDI API, that's why it works. It's built directly on top of the BLE API (based on Android 4), it's not bound to the new BLE MIDI backing (which was introduced in Android 6). The G-Stomper BLE MIDI driver is bound to the newer Android 6 MIDI API, therefore it can only work with the presence of the feature "android.software.midi".
I'm very sorry, but the only way to get it work is to upgrade your OS.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:00 pm

My big problem is that I'm not sure that upgrading my OS will get it working. Also, everything else is working fine, and there might not be a way back. Let's see.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Folkdisco wrote:My big problem is that I'm not sure that upgrading my OS will get it working. Also, everything else is working fine, and there might not be a way back. Let's see.

I fully understand your point, and I agree, updating might be a risk.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”