How to play samples "one-shot"?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
oldman

How to play samples "one-shot"?

Postby oldman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi there,

searched around for 2 days but couldn't come up with a solution. I want most samples to be in one-shot mode.
E.g.
Sample "chord1.wav" is 2 bars long. I trigger it multiple times and it plays multiple times for it's full length. That's not what I want - I want the first playback of the sample to stop when I trigger it a second time. How can I do that?

Experiments with Envelopes etc. don't lead to pleasing results. Setting the whole sampler to monophonic isn't a solution for me either.

Thansk for help!
planet-h

Re: How to play samples "one-shot"?

Postby planet-h » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Welcome to the forum, oldman
And thanks for your message.

oldman wrote:Hi there,

searched around for 2 days but couldn't come up with a solution. I want most samples to be in one-shot mode.
E.g.
Sample "chord1.wav" is 2 bars long. I trigger it multiple times and it plays multiple times for it's full length. That's not what I want - I want the first playback of the sample to stop when I trigger it a second time. How can I do that?

Experiments with Envelopes etc. don't lead to pleasing results. Setting the whole sampler to monophonic isn't a solution for me either.

Thansk for help!

Good point, thanks for spotting this.
Setting the monophonic flag per sampler track is on the todo list since a while, but has not been done yet.

What you can do as a workaround (for now) is to load the same sample to two tracks (e.g. T01 and T02). Then add both tracks to the same mute group (see http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_DrumSampler/part34.htm), and then trigger the sample on T01, then T02, then T01 again, and so on. That way the samples will mute each other.

I know, this is not a proper solution, but for now it's the only workaround to simulate 100% monophonic (one shot) sample.

I'll add that to the next official update.
I think if a mute group has only one single track applied, that might do the job. In that case the sample/track could mute itself when re-triggered.
Would that be suitable?
oldman

Postby oldman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response! :)

I was thinking the same thing after I found out about "Mute Groups" - if they'd support muting only one sample itself (maybe optional for backwards compatibility) that problem would be solved completely.

Hope you can bring it into the next update. G Stomper Studio is a great app - with Midi in / out support it made it's way into my Home-Studio already. I also got FL Studio Mobile but it lags lots great features that G Stomper already has. Keep up the great work and many thanks again.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:01 pm

oldman wrote:Thanks for the quick response! :)

I was thinking the same thing after I found out about "Mute Groups" - if they'd support muting only one sample itself (maybe optional for backwards compatibility) that problem would be solved completely.

Hope you can bring it into the next update. G Stomper Studio is a great app - with Midi in / out support it made it's way into my Home-Studio already. I also got FL Studio Mobile but it lags lots great features that G Stomper already has. Keep up the great work and many thanks again.

Thank you very much, oldman:). I'm glad you're that happy with G-Stomper Studio.

As the change of the mute groups is very simple (nothing more than few lines of code), I'll surely include it in the next update.
I don't think that it would be a backward compatibility problem.
I'll look into that code fragment next week.
Maybe it could be a general flag for mute groups (turned on/off by long pressing the mute group buttons), which would enable that a sample mutes itself (normally it only mutes all other members of the mute group).

However, I'll see what's the best solution.
I keep you posted.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:11 am

I gave it a quick check this morning, and I can now confirm that it will definitely be part of the next update.
At the end, it's a bit more than only a few lines of code, but as this extension is really useful, it's more than worth the effort.

It will be a simple long press extension on the mute group buttons.
By long pressing a mute group you'll be able enable/disable the new Mute Group 'Monophony' extension.
If enabled all members of the particular mute group will be monophonic, regardless how many members a mute group has.

Thanks again for the hint.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:53 pm

The beta went online a few hours ago.
If you're willing to join the ongoing tests, just feel free to join the G-Stomper BETA community at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/g-stomper-public-beta-group.
oldman

Postby oldman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Sorry, had to work the whole weekend. Thanks for the invite! I'll be joining for sure, give me a couple of days. :)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 am

oldman wrote:Sorry, had to work the whole weekend. Thanks for the invite! I'll be joining for sure, give me a couple of days. :)

No worries, there's no rush. The feature has already been tested, and the final release will go online soon.
So you can just enjoy the new ability when you're back;)

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”