Modifying bpm for individual loops.

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
uouVAnon

Modifying bpm for individual loops.

Postby uouVAnon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:44 am

Hello devs, first and foremost, I now live on this software. It has become my primary workstation and quickly replaced every DAW i was using prior. Im a former developer so, no one appreciates this more than i do, knowing the amount of work and struggle it had to have been to implement. I have a question about speeding up or slowing down loops. I noticed that when a loop is imported into the program, it stays at the tempo it was recorded. Regardless of bpm setting. I did notice the setting that allows you to change the tempo and pitch for the individual track, which is very cool and i have used it. However, i havent always been successful. The problem i have with that setting is, its qa lot of work trying to get it to sync perfectly. The other problem is that it causes pitch change, which is normal of course. Ive compensated by changing the pitch, but its a lot of hit and miss using these methods from the new features. Plus, im running an 8 core, and just activating that tempo fader in the drum machine still seems to be a load on the RAM. Is there an easier way, or a feature that im missing, that allows me to speed up/slow down a loop with ease, without change of pitch? Thanks a lot in adavance. Mad respect for this fine piece of work, Ive been promoting this sw, and i look forwatd to the future developments.
planet-h

Re: Modifying bpm for individual loops.

Postby planet-h » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 am

Welcome to the forum, uaoVAnon.

uouVAnon wrote:Hello devs, first and foremost, I now live on this software. It has become my primary workstation and quickly replaced every DAW i was using prior. Im a former developer so, no one appreciates this more than i do, knowing the amount of work and struggle it had to have been to implement.

Thank you very much for the kind words :). Really appreciated.

uouVAnon wrote:I have a question about speeding up or slowing down loops. I noticed that when a loop is imported into the program, it stays at the tempo it was recorded. Regardless of bpm setting. I did notice the setting that allows you to change the tempo and pitch for the individual track, which is very cool and i have used it. However, i havent always been successful. The problem i have with that setting is, its qa lot of work trying to get it to sync perfectly. The other problem is that it causes pitch change, which is normal of course. Ive compensated by changing the pitch, but its a lot of hit and miss using these methods from the new features. Plus, im running an 8 core, and just activating that tempo fader in the drum machine still seems to be a load on the RAM. Is there an easier way, or a feature that im missing, that allows me to speed up/slow down a loop with ease, without change of pitch? Thanks a lot in adavance. Mad respect for this fine piece of work, Ive been promoting this sw, and i look forwatd to the future developments.

Yes, that's correct.
Imported Audio Loops are not synchronized in G-Stomper, as G-Stomper is not primarily built to use loops,
The feature was considered some while ago, but has been put on ice due to too heavy CPU consumption.
Over time, it'll surely get back into to the queue for reconsideration, but for now, it's not possible.

Regarding pitch and speed:

If you want the pitch to be affected by changing the sample speed, in other words you want to pitch bend, then just adjust the pitch slider.
That ll, as expected, affect the speed and pitch.

If you want to adjust the sample pitch and speed independently, in other words you want to time compress/expand or to pitch shift, then, and only then, you should activate the button above the sliders with the outpointing arrows. Just keep in mind that this will consume 20 times more CPU than using "pitch bend", as time stretching requires tons of calculations.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”