Live use of G-Stomper Studio as an "acoustic" beatbox

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
pnoman

Re: Live use of G-Stomper Studio as an "acoustic" beatbox

Postby pnoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Been playing around with the new options; thanks! Way more options for making it sound more "musical" now, I think. The interface is also very convenient in terms of editing the volume or micro steps. Editing is easy and intuitive.

On the micro-stepping: As far as I can see, you can delay a beat in units of 1/32th of a step -- but there is no (easy) way to put something a little early on the beat, right? Obviously, you could delay everything else, but it would be nice to be able to push a tone slightly ahead of it's regular grid. This way, it might be possible to make things more "groovy" (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4542135/) :-)

An alternative would be to put the "centre" (or no offset) to be at the middle microstep position, and then allow for +/- 16/32th of a step (or +15/32 and -16/32) if you want to avoid beats could cross each other.
planet-h

Re: Live use of G-Stomper Studio as an "acoustic" beatbox

Postby planet-h » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:20 am

pnoman wrote:Been playing around with the new options; thanks! Way more options for making it sound more "musical" now, I think. The interface is also very convenient in terms of editing the volume or micro steps. Editing is easy and intuitive.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, pnoman.
I'm glad you like the upgrade;)

pnoman wrote:On the micro-stepping: As far as I can see, you can delay a beat in units of 1/32th of a step -- but there is no (easy) way to put something a little early on the beat, right? Obviously, you could delay everything else, but it would be nice to be able to push a tone slightly ahead of it's regular grid. This way, it might be possible to make things more "groovy" (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4542135/) :-)

An alternative would be to put the "centre" (or no offset) to be at the middle microstep position, and then allow for +/- 16/32th of a step (or +15/32 and -16/32) if you want to avoid beats could cross each other.

Yes, that's correct, a micro step is 1/32 step.
Here is the related chapter in the docs: http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSequencer.htm#_Toc496616451.
Note that a mico step is always 1/32 step, depending on the current step duration.
E.g. if you apply the regular shuffle/swing at step 2 and 4, then step 2, 4, 6, 8, and so on are delayed by up to 50%, which means these are shorter in duration while step 1, 3, 5, 7, and so on are longer, and so are the micro steps in between.

Regarding +/- 16:
Unfortunately this is technically impossible in a pure step (not timing) based sequencer concept.
It's easy to apply a micro delay to a particular trigger, but since the actual steps always fire at their regular time (the micro delay is applied later), it's not possible to play a sample before the actual step is fired.

However, you can achieve the backward movement by shifting the actual step one to the left, and then adjust it by let's say 29 micro steps forward.
That's definitely the better approach than delaying everything else.

Thanks for the article btw. Looks very interesting. I hope I find the time to go completely through it soon.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”