How cut button midi signal before released

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Mochy

How cut button midi signal before released

Postby Mochy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi and sorry for my possible bad English
First of all, congrats for this awesome app! Im always had in mind an aplication that can map midi controllers like this

My device: launchpad pro, default port 6
And mobile: xiaomi mi max (excellent with battery and size :D )

My actually problem it's when I assign a function, like a play function or loop mode for example, only have those functions when I'm pressing the button, because receive midi when pressed and when released, I think that is logic, but I'm talking without idea

My question: it's possible send midi signal when I press key/pad/button only?

And the second thing maybe a suggestion: if actually doesn't have g stomper studio a background process, maybe it's good when turn off/block phone to save screen display battery and play directly through the program
planet-h

Re: How cut button midi signal before released

Postby planet-h » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 am

Welcome to the forum, Mochy.
And thanks for your message.

Mochy wrote:My actually problem it's when I assign a function, like a play function or loop mode for example, only have those functions when I'm pressing the button, because receive midi when pressed and when released, I think that is logic, but I'm talking without idea

My question: it's possible send midi signal when I press key/pad/button only?

When you say you press a button, what is exactly meant?

1. You press a push button on your MIDI controller? (G-Stomper Studio receives MIDI events)
2. You press a piano key on your MIDI keyboard controller? (G-Stomper Studio receives MIDI events)

3. You press a button in G-Stomper Studio, on the touch screen? (G-Stomper Studio sends MIDI events)
4. You press a piano key in G-Stomper Studio on the on screen piano keyboard? (G-Stomper Studio sends MIDI events)

Which of the above applies to your case?

Mochy wrote:And the second thing maybe a suggestion: if actually doesn't have g stomper studio a background process, maybe it's good when turn off/block phone to save screen display battery and play directly through the program

No, that's not possible, sorry.
I mean would be technically possible, but it would be a poor user experience, as the app gets much less CPU power while in background.
In the moment you lock the screen, MIDI as well as Ableton Link gets disabled until you bring G-Stomper back to the foreground.
Mochy

Postby Mochy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:54 am

A lot of thanks for the fast reply
planet-h wrote:Welcome to the forum, Mochy.
And thanks for your message.

When you say you press a button, what is exactly meant?

1. You press a push button on your MIDI controller? (G-Stomper Studio receives MIDI events)
2. You press a piano key on your MIDI keyboard controller? (G-Stomper Studio receives MIDI events)

3. You press a button in G-Stomper Studio, on the touch screen? (G-Stomper Studio sends MIDI events)
4. You press a piano key in G-Stomper Studio on the on screen piano keyboard? (G-Stomper Studio sends MIDI events)

Which of the above applies to your case?

Sorry for dont specific at all, launchpad pro have pads (that works similar like piano key with pressure and aftertouch plus), perfect and no problems and touchscreen too.

Midi events with buttons it's the problem
In this case global CC/NRPN mappings, I adjunt 2 photos best, I explained bad

planet-h wrote:No, that's not possible, sorry.
I mean would be technically possible, but it would be a poor user experience, as the app gets much less CPU power while in background.
In the moment you lock the screen, MIDI as well as Ableton Link gets disabled until you bring G-Stomper back to the foreground.

Ty for the info, maybe for now, it's best screen off screen without lock I suppose.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-08-23-11-14-01-128_com.planeth.gstomper-1280x720-800x450.png
Global CC/NRPN
Screenshot_2017-08-23-11-14-01-128_com.planeth.gstomper-1280x720-800x450.png (158.75 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
IMG_20170823_112224-800x600.jpg
Buttons, these work for midi function events
IMG_20170823_112224-800x600.jpg (113.99 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 am

OK, got it.
Actually you want to control the "LOOP" button in G-Stomper Studio with some button on your external controller.

The reason why the loop button remains only ON if you hold your controller button, is because your controller button is momentary while the loop button is a toggle (on/off) button.

Momentary means technically:
If you press your controller button it fires a MIDI CC value = 127, and when you release it again, it fires CC value = 0.
That is the correct behavior for momentary buttons.

What you have to do is to switch your hardware controller button from momentary to toggle.
A toggle button has two values, first tap sends CC value = 127, second tap sencds CC value = 0, and so on.
If this is (or is not) possible, depends on your controller.
But I'm pretty sure the launchpad pro should be able to do that.

This applies to G-Stomper "toggle" buttons only.
Play/Stop/Record for example are all momentary.

Examples for toggle buttons in G-Stomper are:
LOOP (sequencer), NORM (drum sampler), REVERSE (drum sampler), BYPASS (FX)...
Mochy

Postby Mochy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:28 pm

:o , thanks for all this nice info!
I search about momentary and toggle (in manual called latch) on google, reddit and other sites, but I didnt find it, and the ppl who talked this function, it's impossible
I remember when I used the launchpad on pc, use bomes midi translator for translate signals.
Perhaps in android have a similar app, but I think that it's hard to find it

I only know midi Commander, sends sysex messages and other functions, but I dont have a lot of idea

I can confirm that yes, buttons works like as said, momentary, and always change on released.

Thanks, maybe on the future novation will be implemented It, like note/drum/other layouts on standalone mode.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-08-23-16-42-28-576_it.bordero.midicontroller-600x1067-300x534.png
Buttons momentary midi, with midi commander
Screenshot_2017-08-23-16-42-28-576_it.bordero.midicontroller-600x1067-300x534.png (107.33 KiB) Viewed 8784 times
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:59 am

Mochy wrote::o , thanks for all this nice info!
I search about momentary and toggle (in manual called latch) on google, reddit and other sites, but I didnt find it, and the ppl who talked this function, it's impossible
I remember when I used the launchpad on pc, use bomes midi translator for translate signals.
Perhaps in android have a similar app, but I think that it's hard to find it

In this case, a translator won't help, as the events are clear and understandable. The momentary buttons just send 127 on press and 0 on release, similar to a piano key.
If I find time the next days, I'll take a look at the launchpad pro docs.
It might of course be, that you can't switch the buttons on the left hand side to "toggle", but I'm pretty sure that there are toggling buttons.
Have you tried with the Mute or Solo button on your launchpad? These might be toggle... just a guess.
Mochy

Postby Mochy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 pm

planet-h wrote:In this case, a translator won't help, as the events are clear and understandable. The momentary buttons just send 127 on press and 0 on release, similar to a piano key.
If I find time the next days, I'll take a look at the launchpad pro docs.
It might of course be, that you can't switch the buttons on the left hand side to "toggle", but I'm pretty sure that there are toggling buttons.
Have you tried with the Mute or Solo button on your launchpad? These might be toggle... just a guess.

Ty
The docs that have doesn't have a lot of information, only for the program ableton live, but poor info on standalone midi device.
Don't worry about it for search, I'm grateful for all. If a moment need translate g stomper on Spanish, I could help voluntarily.

I try it and nothing, work as buttons monentary, but this is maybe because the function only work plug and play for ableton live (layout) on default.
The launchpad pro have multiple layouts: Note, Drum and Fader (as stadalone), Programmer (for programming in C maybe) and Live Layout.

The live layout: can assign differents functions programming with this one, I have seen scripts on multiple daws that they give something, lights sequencer, different function on buttons (press rec or mute button, and have sustain on notes, for example).
Sorry for not knowing more information, perhaps with this controller live in another world, opposite of the rest midi devices...
Conclusion: it's semi standalone to complicate :mrgreen:
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Mochy wrote:Ty
The docs that have doesn't have a lot of information, only for the program ableton live, but poor info on standalone midi device.
Don't worry about it for search, I'm grateful for all. If a moment need translate g stomper on Spanish, I could help voluntarily.

I try it and nothing, work as buttons monentary, but this is maybe because the function only work plug and play for ableton live (layout) on default.
The launchpad pro have multiple layouts: Note, Drum and Fader (as stadalone), Programmer (for programming in C maybe) and Live Layout.

The live layout: can assign differents functions programming with this one, I have seen scripts on multiple daws that they give something, lights sequencer, different function on buttons (press rec or mute button, and have sustain on notes, for example).
Sorry for not knowing more information, perhaps with this controller live in another world, opposite of the rest midi devices...
Conclusion: it's semi standalone to complicate :mrgreen:

Yeah, that might be, as the launchpad is actually built for ableton live.
I just did a quick test on my AKAI MPK225. It allows to set buttons to all possible variations, momentary, toggle, CC, Note On/Off.

But the pads in the center, do they work to at least fire samples?
Mochy

Postby Mochy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:04 am

Yep, but it's true too that one app for now work on live layout on android but only for lighshows and play samples (it's called user mode)
Maybe I would go investigate more, I'm interested in this and can test android sdk with the launchpad.
Any good info if you want I send you a pm (if I find anything)

Akai controllers normally are nice :D
And yes, I test fire samples now and work without problems, play all the sample
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:48 am

Mochy wrote:Maybe I would go investigate more, I'm interested in this and can test android sdk with the launchpad.
Any good info if you want I send you a pm (if I find anything)

Sure, that would be nice.
Just pm or directly mail me, or post it to this forum topic, that would be fine, too.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”